[News] Remembering the 1968 Democratic Convention

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 28 12:10:37 EDT 2008

Where is Pigasus now?

http://www.counterpunch.org/

August 28, 2008

Remembering the 1968 Democratic Convention

The Battle of Chicago

By JUDY GUMBO ALBERT

Forty years ago this week I was in Chicago at the
Democratic Convention– not as a delegate but as a
member of the theatrical, countercultural,
media-savvy  protest group known as the Yippies.
Then, as now, the Democratic Party was severely
internally divided -- about race rather than
gender, but especially over the war in Vietnam.
We – Yippie leaders Abbie and Anita Hoffman,
Jerry Rubin and Nancy Kurshan, my then boyfriend
and later husband Stew Albert, the folksinger
Phil Ochs and journalist Paul Krassner -- came to
the Convention to hold a Festival of Life and
nominate a pig for president. Our candidate,
Pigasus, would, we believed, be infinitely more
attractive to young people than the Democrat’s
pro-war candidate Hubert Humphrey.   Abbie,
Anita, Jerry, Phil and Stew are all gone now,
and, although I don’t expect the events described
here to occur in Denver, our country is, as in
1968, engaged in an immoral and illegal war
overseas that has been used by our current
elected officials to put more draconian
restrictions on dissent and freedom of speech
than I once faced confronting the Democrats in
Chicago. What follows is my recollection of those events.

It’s always the old
Who lead us to the war
It’s always the young who fall
But look at all we’ve won
With a saber and a gun
Tell me is it worth it all?
I ain’t marchin’ any more
No I ain’t marchin’ anymore

Phil Ochs

WARNING
LOCAL COPS ARE ARMED AND CONSIDERED DANGEROUS. (Yippie flyer)

Abbie always said we didn’t come to Chicago to
oppose the Democrats, we came to oppose the war.
Well before the convention is due to begin,
Abbie, Jerry, Stew and Paul have been negotiating
with Chicago Mayor Daley’s officials for permits.
Permits to march and permits to sleep in the
park. Permits for rallies and permits for the
Festival of Life. Mayor Daley refuses to meet
with them and sends a lower-level functionary,
Deputy Mayor David Stahl, who both Abbie and
Jerry ridicule because of his last name. But it’s
no joke. All Stahl does is stall.

Abbie, Paul, Jerry and Stew are not the only
players in the Chicago permit drama. That honor
also goes to Tom Hayden, founder of the decade’s
major student anti war organization Students for
a Democratic Society,  Rennie Davis, a well-known
anti-war activist whose blood will be spilled a
few days later, and Dave Dellinger, a much
beloved and older (meaning in his 50’s) pacifist
and advocate for non-violent civil
disobedience.  They are the leaders of the
larger, more traditional (traditional, that is,
compared to the Yippies) anti-war organization
called the National Mobilization to End the War in Vietnam or MOBE.

The MOBE is predicting thousands of young
mainstream “Clean for Gene” supporters of
anti-war presidential candidate Eugene McCarthy
will descend on Chicago, while we Yippies use the
underground press to try and attract
countercultural youth with an imaginary scheme to
put LSD in the drinking water. This act, FYI, is
physically impossible; given the amount of LSD
needed to make any difference. I know, I once put
hundreds of packets red dye in the reflecting
pool in Washington DC to protest the war and it just dissipated.

For the sake of historical accuracy, I will also
disclose that we Yippies claim we’re going to
fuck on the beaches and burn Chicago to the
ground. Ok, so, this sounds a little over the top
threatening, but why would anyone in their right
mind actually take Yippie seriously?

Mayor Daley is not a Yippie.

Nor is FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover.

By the time we roll into town, police forces from
all over the state have been brought in, the cops
are wired, the National Guard is mobilized, and
tension is extremely high. Stew always believed
that Mayor Daley, a Democrat, was set up by FBI
Director J. Edgar Hoover to overreact to our
Yippie exaggerations, so Americans would watch
approvingly on television as hippies and anti-war
demonstrators are rightfully put down and Richard
Nixon gets elected as a law and order candidate.

Which is, in fact, what comes to pass. Mayor Daley denies all permits.

In fact, six months before the Convention, Mayor
Daley had issued a "shoot to kill" order for demonstrators.

At most, 15,000 demonstrators show up for
Convention week in Chicago. Perhaps it’s closer
to 5,000. We never really find out.

Thursday, August 22, 2008

Our decision to run a pig for President leads to
a giant internal Yippie fight.

Abbie, Anita and Paul want a tiny cute
pig.  Jerry gets incensed. It violates his sense
of effective Yippie marketing: to adequately
represent the candidates and all they stand for,
the Yippie pig needs to be big, fat, ugly and
mean. Jerry calls a meeting and, disregarding
Stew’s advice to let it be, reads a statement out
loud to Abbie, Anita and Paul, denouncing Abbie
as a media-hungry “ego tripper”. Jerry even
threatens to hand his statement out as a leaflet
in Lincoln Park, if Abbie doesn’t relent about the size of the Yippie pig.

This is what a serious ideological split in the
Yippies comes down to – the girth and poundage of our presidential candidate.

I’m embarrassed for Jerry.  I don’t understand
the depths of his passion against Abbie but I
know Abbie is fully capable of responding in
kind. Never having experienced a dysfunctional
family with two highly competitive male siblings,
it seems to me that this is a really terrible
precursor for the kind of society we Yippies are trying to create.

For the rest of the convention Abbie and Jerry
aren’t on speaking terms.   But in some similarly
familiar family way, this fight doesn’t destroy their friendship. Abbie says:

We would not let a personal fight upset anything.
Besides, we were both so dedicated that I, at
least, realized that Jerry would cry at my
funeral and make the right speech, and that I would do the same for him.

As, indeed, Jerry does cry  after Abbie commits suicide in 1989.

Jerry recruits Stew, me, Nancy, Phil, and Yippie
tai chi expert Wolf Lowenthal to go out to the
nearby Illinois countryside and purchase the
largest, smelliest, most repulsive hog we can
find. His (or more likely her) name will be Pigasus.

After we pick out what looks to be a reasonably
friendly 200 pound hog, the farmer makes us get
into the pigpen and catch her ourselves. I’ll
never forget how hysterically funny that was –all
of us falling, slipping and sliding, covered in
mud and pig poop. Phil, being more fastidious,
declines to participate but he’s the one who pays
the farmer.  Somehow we manage to load Pigasus
into our truck and take her back to Chicago for a
press conference at the Civil Center the next day.

On our way back, with occasional oinking in the
background, Jerry advocates, in his forceful,
Jerry, ad-man way, that the Yippies demand
Pigasus get treated as a legitimate candidate,
with secret service protection and foreign policy
briefings. Pigasus’ platform, according to Jerry,
will be that everyone in the world be allowed to
vote in our election because America controls the world.

Today America may no longer be the world’s only
superpower, but I believe we Yippies were among
the first to recognize the global reach of
American elections. Perhaps Jerry’s platform for Pigasus was right.

Friday, August 23, 2008. a.m.

Chicago Civil Center is jammed with local and
national media. As soon as Jerry, Stew and Wolf
take Pigasus out of the truck, she’s arrested
along with all her human companions, in front of
television cameras, photographers and the press –
a genuine, perfect Yippie media moment. Later, as
a jailed Stew and Jerry await arraignment, a fat
burly Chicago cop comes up to them and says: “
Boys, I have some bad news for you. The pig squealed.”

We never see Pigasus again. Rumor has it she was
sacrificed and eaten at a Chicago cop’s barbeque.

Rest in Peace Pigasus: you served everyone well.

It’s a rare thing you gave us – allowing nice
Jewish girls and boys to get so intimate with pork.

Sunday, August 25, 1968. a.m.

We demand a society built along the alternative
community in Lincoln Park, a society based on
humanitarian cooperation and equality, a society
which allows and promotes the creativity present
in all people and especially our youth.

(Yippie flyer written by Abbie for Lincoln Park
detailing 18 Yippie points for our ideological platform and program)

Today is the day scheduled for our Yippie
Festival of Life, as a counter to what we call
the Democratic “Convention of Death.”

Among the missing in Lincoln Park are the bands
-- scared off, because all the major media,
mainstream and alternative, are predicting riots.
Abbie is especially angry. He feels betrayed; he
thought many of the famous musicians he invited were his friends.

The only band to show up is the MC-5, a macho,
overtly political, hard rock band out of Ann
Arbor, managed by Yippie John Sinclair.  Abbie,
who is an excellent promoter but not especially a
promoter of rock concerts, neglects to provide
electricity, so well known poet and guitar player
Ed Sanders helps the MC5 plug an orange 300 foot
extension cord into a nearby hot dog stand. MC5 founder Wayne Kramer remembers:

At one point there were Chicago police
helicopters hovering over us. We were doing this
very experimental piece that’s out of time and
out of key – space music – and I’m playing this
feedback, and the helicopter is coming in –
whomp, whomp, whomp. And it was all just perfect.
But the minute we stopped playing the
altercations started to break out. The police
kind of ratcheted up their assault on people.

Immediately after they finish, the MC5 leave the
Park as quickly as possible. I’m standing with
Stew and Abbie close by the truck where the band
had played, when Abbie hears over his
walkie-talkie that the cops are entering the park
some distance away.  I look over at Stew and – o
my god -- blood is running down through his blond curls and over his forehead.

No uniformed cops are to be seen anywhere in the vicinity.

I’m not usually afraid of blood.  Doesn’t matter. I panic.

So does Abbie.

Stew’s a little woozy and sits down on the grass.

‘You’re bleeding,” I tell Stew. As if he didn’t know that.

Isn’t it amazing the stupid things you say in a crisis?

Abbie has the presence of mind to persuade the
medics to take Stew to the hospital; his wound
requires six stitches to close.  The doctors tell
Stew the wound was likely made by a
blackjack.  We figured it had to be an undercover cop.

Stew’s is the first blood to be shed in Lincoln Park that Convention week.

Sunday, August 25, 1968, p.m.

All day long, Park employees are putting up signs
saying there will be an 11 p.m. curfew. Stew, his
head bandaged but in great spirits, and I and the
rest of the Yippies are determined to ignore it.

By 11 it’s pitch dark. Except that behind us,
over the rolling hills of the park and through a
few tall trees, you can make out something
approaching. Then, over a hill, silhouetted
against the darkness and trees, backlit by huge
tall glowing lights, swirling at least 8 feet off
the ground, comes a dense white/grey fog in front
of which a line of ghostly cops has materialized, marching in formation.

I’m in the middle of a live action war documentary.

Stew and I, Jerry and Nancy stand up quickly. By
now we smell something strange, toxic and burning -- tear gas.

The line advances.

It’s the scariest thing imaginable.

Except I don’t feel scared.

I ‘m exhilarated..

We’d learned earlier in the day to carry
bandannas and scarves to put over our mouths to
be able to breathe, but the grey, floating gas
burns inside our noses, sticks to the bandannas
and to our clothing. The bandannas are useless.

Jerry and Nancy disappear. No yelling or
screaming, the silence is eerie.  The line of
cops moves in closer behind us, the fog gets
thicker, like a San Francisco fog gone bad.  I
observe other protestors, their silhouettes
illuminated against the gas, running in the distance.

It’s difficult to breathe. I choke up; tears run
down my face. Everything is in slow-motion.

But I’m not afraid. Stew is looking out for me,
we’re running, together, side by side, propelled
by an urgent imperative to get away. The tear gas
unites us in a brand new kind of intimacy and commitment.

I feel protected.

I feel courageous.

I am powerful.

I’m fighting for what I believe.

This is fun!

Over a ridge and down in a small valley ahead of
me, I see Allan Ginsberg, author of the epic poem
Howl, in which he saw the best minds of my
generation destroyed by madness.  Allen is
sitting on the grass, lotus position, balding,
long curly dark hair, in a circle with about a
dozen friends and acolytes. Ommmmmm
..they chant
the mantra together as if to remind the universe
that even in the midst of chaos all life is
interconnected, and its soothing sound echoes through the tear gas
.Ommmmmmm
.

Allen is a Yippie and we run toward him.

“Boy, he’s not going to last very long”, I think to myself.

The gas is getting very, very strong and potent.

A few seconds after we run past, Allen’s group is forced to scatter.

So much for mantras, gentle poets, and non-violent, loving spiritual practice.

Were the Chicago cops fulfilling their personal piggy karma?

Monday, August 26, 2008

They spread their sheets upon the ground just like a wandering tribe
And the wise men walked in their Robespierre robes
Through Lincoln park the dark was turning
The towers trapped and trembling, and the boats were tossed about
When the fog rolled in and the gas rolled out
In Lincoln Park the dark was burning

"William Butler Yeats visits Lincoln Park" by Phil Ochs

The next day all of us – Abbie, Anita, Paul,
Jerry, Nancy, Stew, Phil me and the other Yippies
meet up back in Lincoln Park. Wheezing,
bedraggled and a little shocked, but, by now,
also pretty angry and elated, we endlessly
re-hash the previous night. Everyone believes
this could have been avoided if permits had been
issued. No one knows whether or not tanks were
used. Our clothes still reek, our eyes are still sore red and puffy.

Someone says that this particular type of teargas
has been outlawed for use in Vietnam.

That may be just a Yippie urban legend.

Someone else says the lights were mounted on
garbage trucks. Which turns out to be true.

Nancy, Anita and I bring small cans of tempera
paint to make protest signs. We can’t think of
anything else to do. Wolf Lowenthal and Abbie
lead groups of demonstrators in practicing
tai-chi, we shout WA-SHOI together in the vain
hope we’ll be able to get away as a crowd.  Jerry
and Stew try to come up with a strategy for
dealing with the coming curfew, nothing seems appropriate.

We’re don’t feel afraid, or depressed. At least I
don’t.  Or maybe all of us are in denial and none
of us are showing it. Instead we’re almost
manically exhilarated, we tell war stories of how
we got away, of how striking black bus drivers
gave us the Black power fist sign, of seeing a
few policemen beat an ignominious retreat.

The battle of Chicago has begun.

Some time after dark a police bullhorn orders us
to leave Lincoln Park or violate curfew. The
Yippie gang, Stew and I and about 1000 other
protesters jeer, hoot, holler, jump up and down
and chant an old anti-draft slogan, which feels
perfectly appropriate,: “Hell No, We Won’t Go.”
No curfew for us – the park belongs to the people.

Then, for some reason, a cop car drives into
Lincoln Park. It’s a total provocation. So
hundreds of us immediately surround it.
Naturally, and also immediately, the police use
this as an excuse to invade the park to rescue their comrades and attack us.

But not just demonstrators, now the police are
singling out reporters wearing business suits;
reporters with credentials who they will club and beat bloody.

I throw my 2” bottle of tempera paint at the offending police car.

Doing that is pretty scary.

My bottle bounces off the roof.

Which makes me really happy. Usually I throw like
the girl I am. At least this time I actually
manage to hit something. This tiny act of
confronting authority somehow overcomes any fear
I have left and, for the first time in my life, I feel truly free.

I’m actually euphoric.

Forty years later, this is what I’ve come to
understand about my time in Lincoln Park: In
every woman’s life, opportunities will arise to
face your fears. I’m not suggesting throwing a
can of paint at a police car – only that it is
very important to recognize when you’re actually
in that unique “face my fear” moment.  In such
circumstances, take action. Don’t delay. Don’t
procrastinate. Don’t over think the consequences.
By facing your fear, you will discover inside
yourself the courage to put your life– and your
freedom -- into your own hands.
I never turn back.

Early Wednesday August 28, 2008

It’s 1 a.m.  The park side of Michigan Avenue,
across from the Hilton Hotel on where the
delegates are staying, is lined with young
National Guardsmen pointing their bayoneted
rifles toward the sky. .As soon as Stew and I see
the Guard coming, we and a few thousand others
start yelling and screaming: Join us, Join us.

For the record, Stew and I never yelled “baby
killer” at anyone. Neither did anyone we knew.
Nor, in all my years as an anti-war activist, did
I ever hear anyone yell that. Plus I never got
reports of anyone yelling that or overheard anyone say they saw it happen.

I’ve come to believe that the image of protestors
yelling “baby-killer” at GIs is a stereotype
perpetrated by red-meat conservatives to swift boat the anti-war movement.

However, I’m also confident that one or two of us did yell “baby killer’.

After all, there will always be a person to fit the stereotype.
To any military person who, actually and in
reality, was wrongly yelled at forty years ago by
an anti-war activist, I want to apologize on
behalf of the 1960s anti-war movement.

Unless of course you’re Lt. William Calley.
Who actually massacred babies in the village of Mi Lai.
Like I said, you can always find a person to fit the stereotype.

Above the lines of Guardsmen, facing the
demonstrators, room lights are blazing on the
many floors of the Hilton Hotel, while delegates
in fancy coats and women in long dresses and fur
stoles enter and exit the front lobby. I bet
those delegates never imagined that when they
paid extra money to reserve a room with a Park
view, it came, free of charge, with
demonstrators, National Guard, spotlights and tear gas.

Together Phil Ochs and I walk the lines of
national guardsmen. Phil is wearing his usual
slacks and suit jacket with an American Flag
pin.  On the inside where it can’t be seen unless
he shows it to you, Phil also wears a peace
button. Jerry teases Phil about this incessantly,
insistent, in his intense Jerry Rubin way, that
Phil show his true colors by wearing his peace
sign on the outside, and flag pin on the inside.

Phil never complies.

Phil was born in El Paso Texas and really loves America.
Even when he’s being gassed along with the rest of us.
As we walk, Phil introduces himself to the
impressed guardsmen and asks if they’ve ever
heard his songs. Like “I Ain’t Marching Anymore.”

Many nod.

“I once spent $20 to go to one of your concerts”
one complains. “I’ll never do that again.”

In 1968, $20 was a lot of money. Phil stops and
talks directly to the guy, explaining why he is
opposed to the war. The Guardsman starts to
smile, and even lowers his rifle a little bit,
very appreciative that a celebrity like Phil is
speaking to him like a real person.

Phil believes in democracy.

Phil shows me what it means to be an American patriot.

The riots, gassing and beating of demonstrators
protesting a disastrous war at the Democratic
Convention in Chicago 1968 became a turning point
in the history of American dissent. Many
Americans, who already disapproved of the Vietnam
War, were shocked and horrified at what they
witnessed taking place on the streets of Chicago.
Walter Cronkite, the most famous news anchor of
the day observed: “They’re beating our children.”

And we in turn chanted: The whole world is watching.”

When Stew and I grow tired of the fighting, we
make our way around the police lines, followed at
some not too discreet distance by a relentless
crew of plain-clothed cops.  Back home, we jump
into bed and make love that feels especially
delicate, sweet and tender because, who knows, it
could be our last time.  Tomorrow we may be in jail or perhaps even dead.

At 11 p.m. we turn on the television to watch ourselves on the local news.

We are Yippies after all.

Judy Gumbo Albert  is an original member of the
1960s countercultural anti-war group known as the
Yippies.  Judy is co- author of
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0275917819/counterpunchmaga>The
Sixties Papers: Documents of a Rebellious Decade
(Greenwood Press, 1984) and The Conspiracy Trial
(Bobbs Merrill, 1970). For many years she was an
award winning fundraiser for Planned Parenthood.
She is currently living in Berkeley, California,
retired with no pension, and is writing a memoir
titled "Yippie Girl" of which this is an excerpt.
Judy can be reached at
<mailto:judygumboalbert at gmail.com>judygumboalbert at gmail.com.