[News] Crisis in Mexico Mounts as Opposition Rejects Privatization of Mexico's Oil

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Apr 18 18:51:56 EDT 2008

Political Crisis in Mexico Mounts as Opposition
Rejects Privatization of Mexico's Oil Resources

By ALAN BENJAMIN

April 18, 2008 -- "The movement headed by Andrés
Manuel López Obrador is fomenting a coup d'etat
aimed at dismantling the Mexican nation and
provoking a bloody civil war." This highly
charged accusation by the Consejo Coordinador
Empresarial (CCE), the equivalent of the Chamber
of Commerce in the United States, was featured
prominently in most of Mexico's newspapers this morning.

The spokesperson for the CCE, joined in a press
conference by high-ranking figures in the ruling
right-wing National Action Party (PAN), called on
PAN leader Felipe Calderón to put an immediate
end to the takeover and occupation by the
opposition movement of the Mexican Senate and
National Assembly. Calderón was imposed as
Mexico's president by massive fraud in July 2006
against López Obrador, the man most Mexicans
consider to be their "legitimate" president. "The
country is slipping into anarchy," the CCE
spokesperson continued. "We call upon the
president and the Security Forces to dislodge by
force the Congresspersons and their gang of
supporters from the premises of our National Congress."

For 10 days now, the Mexican Senate and National
Assembly in Mexico City have been totally shut
down, as opposition senators and deputies from
the Broad Progressive Front (FAP) -- consisting
of the Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD),
the Party of Labor (PT) and Convergencia -- have
occupied the podiums of both legislative houses.
They placed huge banners in both buildings that
read, "Clausurado," or "Closed Down," explaining
that both legislative branches would not be
allowed to renew their deliberations until a
genuine national debate could be organized on the
proposals submitted by Calderón on April 8 to
privatize Pemex, Mexico's national oil corporation.

López Obrador and his movement, the National
Democratic Convention (CND), are calling for a
Nationwide Referendum on Calderón's five
proposals to "modernize" Mexico's oil industry --
all of which they characterize as privatization
measures aimed at handing over Mexico's oil to
the transnational corporations. They also insist
that a five-month period of national discussion
must precede this Referendum, with, among other
things, a series of televised debates between
López Obrador and Calderón, on the one hand, and
between their respective secretaries of Energy --
Claudia Sheinbaum from the "Legitimate Government
of Mexico" and Georgina Kessel from the
fraudulent Calderón administration, on the other.

Calderón has stated he is open to a "national
debate" on his proposals, but he has insisted
that the only place such a debate can take place
is the Mexican Congress. He and his supporters in
the PAN and the Revolutionary Institutional Party
(PRI), the two main parties who command a large
majority of representatives in the Congress, have
rejected categorically what they call "the
attempt by López Obrador to wrest legitimacy from
Mexico's political institutions by creating an
illegitimate dual power in the streets." (Uno Más Uno, April 17)

Brigadistas and Electrical Workers Mobilize

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of activists of the
Frente en Defensa del Pétroleo [Front in Defense
of Mexico's Oil resources]  -- also known as
"adelitas" and "adelitos," a reference to the
footsoldiers of the Mexican Revolution of 1910 --
have circled the two legislative buildings as a
human shield to prevent the security forces from
entering the buildings and squashing this
"legislative strike" by the opposition members of
Congress. The Brigades have been
well-disciplined, blockading the Congress in rotating eight-hour shifts.

"We have put our bodies on the line," explained
one "adelita" to La Jornada newspaper. "Let them
come with their guns and bayonets. We are not
leaving. We have said, 'Enough is Enough!' ... We
will not allow them to privatize our oil, shatter
our Constitution [a reference to overturning
Article 27 of the 1917 Constitution, which
stipulates that Mexico's oil is the property of
the nation -- A.B.] and destroy our future and
that of our children and grand-children. We have
said, 'La Patria No Se Vende, El Petroleo Se
Defiende'!" [Our Nation Is Not For Sale; Our Oil
Must Be Defended!] (La Jornada, April 17)

When the Senators of the PAN and PRI attempted
yesterday to transfer the Senate proceedings to
an alternate site in Mexico City, they were
dogged by thousands upon thousands of "adelitas"
and prevented from reconvening at a nearby Senate
building. The PAN Senators, led by federal
stormtroopers (or "gorillas," as they are known
in Mexico), made their way through the human
barricade set up by the "adelitas." But the
Senators of the PRI -- the party that ruled
Mexico for more than 70 years -- refused to cross
the adelitas' human chain, reflecting the
political crisis in the summits of the PRI over a
privatization measure they know is repudiated by
the overwhelming majority of the people of Mexico.

The PRI, which still claims to stand on the
principles of the Mexican Revolution, was
compelled to say that it "wouldn't accept any
privatization of Pemex." Emilio Gamboa Patrone,
coordinator of the PRI's parliamentary fraction,
declared: "We will never allow for the
establishment of contracts of shared risk with
the corporations, nor the participation of
private capital in the activities reserved for
the state by the Constitution." (La Jornada, March 27, 2008)

At the same time, the Electrical Workers Union
(SME) took to the streets yesterday in what was
to be the first of a series of mass mobilizations
to demand a genuine national debate and
referendum over the future of Mexico's energy
sovereignty. "We will not allow the government to
privatize Pemex, and nor will we allow them to
restrict the debate within the four walls of the
Mexican Congress," said Martin Esparza Flores,
president of the SME, at a rally near the Senate
building. "We need a full debate in the Mexican
media so that the millions of people in Mexico
can hear our arguments and see our figures. ...
We are certain that if we are able to compel the
radio and TV stations to air our message, we will
win the debate hands down and force them to
withdraw their country-selling privatization scheme."

At the end of the day, Senators from the PAN, the
PRI, and the Partido Verde Mexicano (PVM) -- the
Green Party, a longstanding ally of the most
right-wing forces in Mexico -- issued a statement
calling on Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard, a
member of the PRD and ally of López Obrador, to
order the city police to "restore law and order,
by forcing the unruly mob to disband their
encirclement of the two houses of Congress." If
this is not done immediately, stated PVM
spokesperson Arturo Escobar, "the Senate will
have no choice but to remove Ebrard from his
responsibilities as mayor of Mexico City,
something that is within the Senate's purview."

Calderon's Plan and López Obrador's Response

The mounting political crisis that is rocking the
institutions of the Mexican State to its very
foundations is rooted in a privatization scheme
of Mexico's oil industry that has been dictated
by Washington in the interest of U.S. oil
corporations. For decades, U.S. corporate
interests have been champing at the bit, seeking
by every possible means to take back the oil
resources that were nationalized by Mexican President Lázaro Cárdenas in 1938.

Over the past 14 years under NAFTA, major sectors
of Mexico's petrochemical industry have been
taken over by foreign oil interests. But these
inroads have been deemed totally insufficient. In
2006, the Bush administration, responding to the
lobby of Bush's oil cronies, orchestrated the
electoral fraud that brought Washington's towel
boy, Felipe Calderón, to the presidency --
ChoicePoint voting machines and all. It was
necessary to take this assault on Mexico's oil
resources to a new level, to break the political
logjam that resulted from the legacy of the
Mexican Revolution and its obstinate resistance
to the privatization of the crown jewel of Mexico's sovereignty.

Felipe Calderón -- understanding the deep-seated
refusal by the Mexican people to turn over Pemex
to foreign interests -- has had to wrap his
privatization proposals in the mantle of
nationalist rhetoric. He has repeated ad-nauseam
that his five proposals have nothing to do with
privatization. His propaganda machine has
insisted that these measures are simply aimed at
"modernizing" Mexico's aging infrastructure in
oil ducts, transportation, storage, exploration,
and drilling (especially deep-water drilling in
the Gulf of Mexico). Foreign capital is needed,
the story goes, to increase oil revenues for
Mexico, with ownership and decision-making in the
new joint ventures remaining firmly in the hands of the Mexican state.

Calderón and his PR campaign also have insisted
that Pemex is broke and that it does not have the
funding or technical capacity to make the company
profitable and to build the refineries that Mexico needs.

Not so, counter López Obrador and his team. "In
the name of greater management 'autonomy',"
Claudia Sheinbaum explains, " they intend to hand
over the administration of the system to the oil
multinational conglomerates in the form of
'service contracts' and 'expanded contracts.'
This so-called autonomy, Sheinbaum continues, is
aimed at redirecting the profits and tax revenue
from Pemex to the private sector. This would mean
the loss to the Mexican State of more than 40% of
its income and would lead to the immediate
destruction of publicly funded education, health
care, social security, transportation, environmental protection, and more.

In his speech to the Brigadistas on April 6 at
the Monument to the Revolution, López Obrador
explained that the recent PRI and PAN
administrations have consciously decapitalized
Pemex with the aim of handing over Mexico's oil
to the U.S. oil robber barons. He lambasted the
corruption at the highest levels of Pemex and the
State and insisted that the solution is not
privatization, but a cleansing of this corruption
and the recapitalization of the oil industry.

"Pemex is extremely profitable," Lopez Obrador
explained. "A barrel of Mexican oil is currently
selling at US$95, while it costs only $3 to
produce. ... The billions of dollars in revenue
can and must go to building the three refineries
that Mexico needs to fully meet our energy needs
and fuel the economic development of our nation
-- to provide millions of jobs at a living wage,
so that our sons and daughters do not have to
risk their lives crossing the border into the
United States in search of the means to feed their families."

López Obrador continued, "To claim the system is
bankrupt and that we lack technical expertise to
turn the system around is a cruel hoax. Our
Mexican engineers have the know-how to build the
finest infrastructure in the world. ... We don't
need so-called reforms to the 'secondary laws'
governing Pemex; we need to return Pemex to the
Mexican people. We need to get rid of the corrupt
officials and make this bastion of our national
sovereignty fully accountable to the Mexican people."

"We are not going to be duped," López Obrador
stated. "'Association' with private capital is
privatization. 'Alliances' with foreign
corporations is privatization. 'Risk Contracts'
is privatization. 'Contracts with Third Parties,'
or 'Multiple Service Contracts,' or 'Management
Autonomy" ... all these are privatization.
Anything and everything that involves sharing the
revenue of Pemex with local or foreign investors
is privatization -- and we will not allow it to pass."

López Obrador went on to excoriate all the
institutions of the Mexican political regime that
have permitted the decapitalization of Pemex, the
electoral fraud of July 2006, the destruction of
Mexico's agricultural base [through the new
agricultural chapter of NAFTA that went into
effect on Jan. 1, 2008, and that will lead to the
liquidation of Mexico's native corn and bean
production], and the subordination of Mexico's
sovereignty to the Empire to the North. He said
all these fraudulent institutions must go, to be
replaced with the institutions of a "New
Republic" that are based on the "values of
equality, solidarity, and national sovereignty."

And López Obrador concluded, "We will not go back
to the days of the Porfiriato [a reference to the
decades of dictatorship under Porfirio Diaz that
preceded the Mexican Revolution of 1910--AB]. We
will not take one single step back. If we allow
them to privatize our oil, we will fuel chaos and
violence among our people. Pemex has ensured the
peace of our nation, as we have been able to use
its resources to develop our country. But without
this revenue, regions of our country will be
pitted against each other in a fight over
ever-decreasing resources. ... There is no
compromising here with our national sovereignty.
Every single proposal by Calderón is unacceptable and unamendable."

López Obrador's speech was met with thunderous
applause, as the Brigadistas began chanting, "Ni
Un Paso Atrás! [Not One Step Backward!] and "No
Tenemos Miedo! [We Are Not Afraid!]

Crisis in the PRD and New Challenges

Many Mexican political observers believe that
Calderón chose this particular moment to
introduce his "oil reform" measures because of
the deep political crisis in the PRD, the party
of which López Obrador is a leader.

Two months ago, internal elections were held in
the PRD to determine the party leadership. Two
wings -- one led by Alejandro Encinas, an ally of
López Obrador; the other led by Jesus Ortega,
linked to the more conservative sectors in the
PRD -- have been feuding openly over central
questions of Mexican politics. The Ortega wing
(known as the "Chuchos") have lambasted López
Obrador for refusing to accept the outcome of the
2006 elections and for taking the struggle
outside the framework of the Mexican Congress and
the institutions of the State. Ortega has the
full support of the PRD state governors, all of
whom have recognized the legitimacy of the
Calderón government and accused López Obrador of
fomenting unrest with his "infantile" refusal to
accept the 2006 election results.

Two months after the internal elections, the PRD
leadership has yet to disclose the winner of its
internal leadership election, so deep is its
internal crisis. The party's rank-and-file,
basing themselves on exit polls, are convinced
that the Encinas wing won the election by an
overwhelming margin. But PRD Election Commission
leaders have told the press, off the record, that
the Ortega wing appears to have won. Insiders
believe the "Chuchos" were aided by massive
ballot-stuffing by PRI operatives in the PRD.

The imminent split in the PRD has fueled deep
resentment and anger among the ranks of the PRD.
"Not only did López Obrador lose the 2006
election because of voter fraud," a PRD activist
told La Jornada after the March 18 López Obrador
rally in Mexico City, "it appears he is now going
to be the victim of voter fraud within his own
party. This is sickening. We did not build a new
party, the PRD, to have this kind of thing happen." (March 19, 2008)

But if Calderón was counting on a demoralized and
demobilized opposition movement to introduce his
"reform" packet, he had to be surprised by the
immediate and massive response to his proposals
-- a response organized largely outside the
framework of the PRD and its allies in the Broad
Progressive Front (FAP). The center of the
resistance has been the National Democratic
Convention (CND), a genuine and autonomous
grassroots movement, and the newly formed Front
in Defense of Mexico's Oil Resources, headed by Claudia Sheinbaum.

 From the beginning, the CND has had an uneasy
alliance with the parties in the FAP -- but more
and more the CND's center of gravity has shifted
away from reliance on the parliamentary fraction
of the FAP toward building an independent mass
movement in the streets to defend Mexico's sovereignty and democracy.

The takeover and occupation of the Mexican Senate
and National Assembly by senators and deputies of
the FAP is extremely significant. But support for
this action is far from unanimous within those
parties. On April 7, after López Obrador swore in
the 10,000 women Brigadistas at the Monument to
the Revolution, PRD parliamentary fraction leader
Ruth Zavaleta announced publicly that if the
"adelitas" blocked the entrance to the National
Assembly, she would call in the federal police to have them taken away.

The determination of the movement behind López
Obrador and the huge number of Brigadistas made
it politically impossible for Zavaleta to call in
the police. It would have been political suicide
for her to take such a drastic action.

Instead, it appears a growing wing of the FAP
parliamentary fraction, including some prominent
allies of López Obrador, is seeking a deal with
Santiago Creel, former Minister of the Interior
under Vicente Fox and current national
coordinator of the PAN, to forge a "Third Way"
for a national debate on "energy reform." Creel
is proposing a series of public forums over the
next 50 days, but with a binding vote on the
"reform proposals" to take place in the Mexican Congress.

Such a proposal has been rejected publicly by the
spokespersons of the CND, but López Obrador has
yet to issue a statement dissociating himself
from his FAP allies on this question of the
"Third Way." This has raised deep concern among
many CND activists and prompted a number of them
to call on López Obrador to affirm his
independence in relation to the parties of the
FAP, whom they consider unreliable allies in the
struggle to safeguard the interests of the Mexican people and nation.

Along these lines, the Democratic and Independent
Workers Party (PTDI) -- which has strongly
supported the CND and the movement to defend
Pemex -- issued a statement calling on López
Obrador and the CND coordinators to issue a call
to convene a mass National Democratic Convention
of 1 million people in the downtown central
square of Mexico City, the Zócalo -- as they did on September 16, 2006.

The PDTI statement reads, in part:

"The political situation is very grave. The PRI
and PAN -- with their false majority -- have
announced they will vote to support Calderón's
privatization proposals in the Mexican Congress,
even though the PRI has expressed a number of
reservations with these proposals. All the
political institutions of the current regime, as
López Obrador himself has stated time and again,
are profoundly undemocratic and fraudulent. This
includes the presidency, of course, but also the Legislature and the Courts.

"So the question becomes: Who has the legitimacy
to decide such a fundamental question as the one
posed by the proposed plan to privatize and liquidate Pemex?

"Only the people, truly represented by its legitimate government, can decide!

"Is it therefore not necessary to convene a new
assembly of the National Democratic Convention to
counterpose the legitimate will of the people to
the illegitimate power of Calderón and to all the
other fraudulent institutions that are ready to sell out our nation?

"The entire nation is rising up. Is it not the
moment to convene 1 million representatives of
the Mexican people so that they can be the ones
to take the decisions of the nation into their
own hands, responding to the will of the people,
who have stated in one firm voice: 'No to the
privatization of Pemex! Withdraw all the
privatization proposals! Defend the Mexican nation'!"?

The struggle to compel the Mexican government to
hold a nationwide Referendum with a real public
debate in the mainstream media is gaining
widespread support. It is essentially a demand
for the government to withdraw its privatization
plan. But that will only come about if the
millions of people across Mexico are mobilized to
come to aid of the valiant Brigadistas who are
confronting the federal police in Mexico City --
and who will likely be met with repression as
they hold the line around the government buildings.

The call to form Committees in Defense of
Mexico's oil all across Mexico and to mobilize 1
million people in Mexico City in the coming weeks
is not only timely, it is a vital necessity to
the deepening struggle to defend Mexico's sovereignty.

[Alan Benjamin is the co-coordinator of the Open
World Conference Continuations Committee, based
in the San Francisco Labor Council. He has
traveled to Mexico repeatedly over the past two
months. Most recently, he helped to coordinate a
delegation of 32 U.S. unionists and activists who
participated in the Second Continental Conference
Against NAFTA and Privatizations, held in Mexico City on April 4-6, 2008.]