[News] Ask Ms. Liberty - Advice for the War-Torn

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Apr 4 14:13:40 EDT 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/day04042008.html

Apri1 4, 2008

Ask Ms. Liberty

Advice for the War-Torn

By SUSIE DAY

Although it's been over five years since the
United States invaded Iraq, a few non-patriots
among us refuse to understand or endorse our
wartime zeitgeist. I have, therefore, persuaded
our noble, statuesque Icon of America to gas up
her torch and shed some light on a few selfish
queries posed by our huddled, recalcitrant masses.

Dear Green Lady:

Remember that guy on the bike who set off a small
bomb at the Armed Forces Career Center in Times
Square? The explosion busted in the door and a
window of the Center just before 4:00 a.m. on
March 6. This story was big in the news for a few
days, then dropped out of sight. Since it
happened around the fifth anniversary of our war
on Iraq, I have to assume this "Bicycle Bomber"
was making a protest. So, with 66% of the
American public against the war, how come nobody is talking about him?

Dear Possible Al Qaeda Operative:

No one is talking about this man because he is an
irresponsible, depraved, sniveling, whacked-out monster.

The American public, on the other hand, is made
up of mature adults who accept and live daily
with countless daunting facts, including: (a) the
needless killing, since 2003, of more than one
million Iraqis; (b) over 4.7 million Iraqis
displaced from their homes; (c) the increasing
destabilization of the Middle East; and (d) the
deaths of 4,000 (and counting) U.S. troops, as
well as the miserable existence of those now
living with war-incurred disabilities.

The American public is bearing up quite well
under these facts, thank you. But how can we
possibly endure the catastrophic loss of one
window and one door--shattered beyond
recognition--of an unsuspecting military
recruitment office that never did anybody any harm? O, THE HUMANITY!

Mayor Bloomberg spoke for all of us when he said,
"Whoever the coward was that committed this
disgraceful act on our city will be found and
prosecuted to the full extent of the law." Right
on! If this sicko wanted to wreak serious damage,
he should have gone to work for some branch of government.

As a soldier or a police officer, this vile
reprobate would have been scientifically trained,
not to bomb government property, but to make
"tragic mistakes." That's why you'll never hear
Mayor Bloomberg talk about prosecuting "to the
full extent of the law" the NYPD officers who
shot and killed Sean Bell. Conversely, the
Bicycle Bomber, because he was not on active
duty, was not wearing a uniform, and did not hurt
or kill anyone, is a certified terrorist.

I hope you can perceive this distinction, dear.
It's crucial if you want to avoid serious jail
time. This bomb-throwing incident brings up many
difficult, post-9/11 issues that we must deal
with before we can achieve lasting peace and
justice. Now, let's never speak of it again.

Dear Green Lady:

Who was that pervert who said, "Nothing Human Disgusts Me"?

I'm just back from my anti-war affinity group.
Depressed, alienated. We were supposed to discuss
why there weren't enough people to span the
length of 14th Street in Manhattan last Saturday
to protest the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Instead,
our group spent the entire meeting arguing about
whether we should write up an agenda--for THAT meeting.

At one point, I suggested that, since we all
seemed to have a hidden agenda, we might as well
relax and take turns guessing what each of us was
NOT saying. You know--sort of a nonviolent way to
build trust? Some pacifist threw an iPod at me
and as I ducked, I remembered how, after the
World Trade Center attack, some very bright
people said, "Our Grief Is Not a Cry for War."

Several years and a couple of invasions later, I
now have to ask: What happened to our grief?

Dear Peace Monger:

Wake up and smell the patchouli, dear. You have
succeeded in turning your grief into productive
rage and contempt--not at Congress and our
President, who are out of reach and with whom you
have almost nothing in common--but at your fellow
activists, where it will do the most good!

Simply sitting in a room and weeping or beating a
pillow with a tennis racket can become
dangerously narcissistic. Hating people just like
you, on the other hand, is Nature's way of
re-channeling your despair, even as you provide
hours of mirth and derision for FBI informants
monitoring your anti-war efforts.

Cheer up, honey. I've heard that your local
Barnes & Noble has just hired an aging hippie to
staff the Information Desk. Now, why don't you
take your Weltschmerz over there and go accuse
him of being a shill for globalization? It's so
much more gratifying than hanging out
nonviolently on 14th Street, waiting for the war to end.

P.S. Please get back to me if you suspect this man could be the Bicycle Bomber.

Susie Day can be reached at: <mailto:sday at skadden.com>sday at skadden.com

© Susie Day, 2008