[News] Fundraising Appeal Letter from PHRF

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 25 11:29:57 EDT 2007

Please spread far and wide!

September 24, 2007

Friends:

Please share this letter with your friends,
family and co-workers, so, like you, they will
not forget the importance of supporting the people of New Orleans and the Gulf.

It may seem like old news, but surviving the
reality of the government’s deliberate
abandonment is still a daily trial for the
200,000 low income Black New Orleanians who
remain displaced. It is also an ordeal for the
150,000 who have returned to New Orleans— which
still lies mostly in ruins. In New Orleans, we
see apartheid in action. About 20% of the City
which has always been predominantly
white—including the famed French Quarter—is “back
in business”. The remaining 80% is a City without
jobs, without housing, with no health care
system, and with a school system that fails to meet minimum standards.

Despite the valiant efforts of thousands of
volunteers who came to New Orleans to rebuild,
fewer than 20,000 of the 180,000 destroyed homes
have been rebuilt. New Orleans’ housing stock,
levees, hospitals and schools cannot be built
with volunteer labor.  The federal government
must take responsibility for the reconstruction of New Orleans and the Gulf.

For this reason, we ask you to continue to
support the work of Peoples Hurricane Relief Fund
(PHRF).  Our priority has always been to pressure
the government to guarantee the right of
return—especially for the poor Black people it
abandoned. So far, only grassroots political
pressure has prevented developers from razing
public housing and bulldozing the entire Lower
9th Ward so they can turn this once-thriving
Black community into golf courses and industrial
parks. For two years PHRF has  persistently
organized petition campaigns, demonstrations,
marches and lobbied at the City, state and
federal levels. We organized National Survivors’
Tours, maintain an informative website and most
recently, the International Tribunal on
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita to counter the
national amnesia campaign perpetrated by the government and developers.

We recognize that the displacement and
destitution of New Orleans’ Black population is
only the most obvious assault of a national
system of gentrification, ethnic cleansing,
militarization, mass incarceration and
privatization that is laying siege to Black and
other people of color in every US city. The
struggle for the right to return and
reconstruction is the challenge of all oppressed
people. And it is going to be a long struggle.
A dedicated staff and committed volunteers are
essential to this work. Since September 15, when
PHRF ‘s account ran dangerously close to zero, a
decision to stop paying all salaries was made.
But even if staff can continue to work on a
volunteer basis, rent, phones, electricity and
printing costs still must be paid.

While other organizations in New Orleans do
important work, PHRF is one of the only
organizations that makes’ political struggle its
priority. Our strategic focus is the demand for
affordable housing—both for the 49,000 displaced
residents of public housing and for New Orleans’
homeless population, which is at twice
pre-Katrina levels. We also continue to pressure
the Red Cross—a quasi-governmental agency—to be
accountable for distributing millions of dollars
that were donated to assist hurricane survivors,
not the Red Cross bureaucracy.

To those of you who understand the importance of
this struggle, we appeal for your financial
support of our on-going work.  Please visit our
website,
<http://www.peopleshurricane.org/>www.peopleshurricane.org,
for detailed information about this work. Tax
deductible donations can be made payable to PHRF
in care of the Vanguard Public Foundation. Mail
checks to 383 Rhode Island Street, Suite 301 San
Francisco, CA 94103. Online donations can also be
made at
<https://www.vanguardsf.org/index.php?s=40>https://www.vanguardsf.org/index.php?s=40.

For more information, to arrange a speaker and/or
video presentation, call us at 504-301-0215 or
email <mailto:info at peopleshurricane.org>info at peopleshurricane.org.

Thank you in advance for your support,

Kali Akuno,
Executive Director