[News] Hate Crimes: Vandalism & nooses at the 2Pac Amaru Shakur Center

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Oct 24 11:47:14 EDT 2007

THUG LIFE ARMY

TUPAC AMARU SHAKUR CENTER FOR THE ARTS VANDALIZED

by Robert
10/23/2007
7:33:41 PM

<http://www.thuglifearmy.com/news/?id=4005>http://www.thuglifearmy.com/news/?id=4005

The TUPAC AMARU SHAKUR Foundation (TASF)  regrets to report that a
series of attacks have taken place at the TUPAC AMARU SHAKUR CENTER
FOR THE ARTS, 5616 Memorial Drive, Stone Mountain, Georgia.

The first incident occurred in the early hours of Saturday, October
20th, when vandals defaced the building as well as tying a noose
around the neck of the bronze statue of TUPAC SHAKUR(2Pac) located in
the Center's Peace Garden. The attacks are being investigated as hate
crimes by the De Kalb County Sheriff's Office. The second incident
occurred at the Center at 2:00AM Monday morning when the statue was
damaged further. A male has been arrested and is currently being held
in custody.

The noose hung around the statue's neck is an imitation of other
cases recently reported in the media after a surge of hate
crimes.  The statue was also plastered with handbills of garbled
rants that include references to 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina as well
as vague threats against various record companies and rappers. The
manner of the attack indicates it is the work of one or more individuals.

Says AFENI SHAKUR:

    * "We thank everyone for their prayers and support. Although our
hearts are temporarily in pain, our spirits have already forgiven the
perpetrators. Hate comes in all colors and genders therefore we will
use this act of hate and ignorance to bring our community together
and to pray for the healing of those who harbor such feelings. With
God's guidance, the work of the TUPAC AMARU SHAKUR Center for the
Arts and Peace Garden will continue to positively impact and
transform our community."

The TUPAC AMARU SHAKUR Foundation is now in the process of raising
money to construct a fence around the parameters of the Center to
prevent these types of incidents from occurring again.

The TUPAC AMARU SHAKUR Center for the Arts will kick off its 2nd
Bi-Annual Film Screening with a re-dedication service of the Peace
Garden on Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 1:00 PM.
Following the service will be a film screening and panels from film
industry experts. Both events are free to the public.

Donations can be sent to:

TASF
5616 Memorial Drive
Stone Mountain, GA 30083

or

<http://www.tasf.org>http://www.tasf.org and
<http://www.2PACLegacy.com>http://www.2PACLegacy.com

The TUPAC AMARU SHAKUR FOUNDATION (TASF) was founded by AFENI SHAKUR
to provide training and support to artists who aspire to enhance
their creative talents.  TASF fosters an environment that encourages
freedom of expression, serves as a resource for the arts, and
empowers through education. To date, more than 700 students have
benefited from the program with a broad range of training available
via the Annual Performing Arts Day Camp held at the TUPAC AMARU
SHAKUR Center for the Arts (home of the Foundation in Stone Mountain, Georgia).