[News] The Justice that Jena Demands

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 1 14:40:21 EDT 2007

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=30&ItemID=13921

The Justice that Jena Demands
by Xochitl Bervera; Families and Friends of
Louisiana's Incarcerated Children (FFLIC) ; October 01, 2007

I want to tell you about Emmanuelle Narcisse.  He
was a tall, slim, handsome young man who was
killed by a guard at the Bridge City Correctional
Center for Youth – a Louisiana juvenile prison –
in 2003.  Apparently, he was "fussing" in line,
talking back to a guard.  The guard punched him
in the face, one blow, and Emmanuelle went down
backwards, slamming his head on the concrete.  He
took his last breath there behind the barbed wire
of that state run facility.  The guard was
suspended with pay during the investigation.  No
indictment was ever filed against him.

There is also Tobias Kingsley,[1] sentenced when
he was 15 to two years in juvenile prison for
sneaking into a hotel swimming pool (his first
offense). Tobias endured physical and sexual
abuse inside the prison.  He said that guards
traded sex with kids for drugs and cigarettes,
and sometimes set kids up to fight one another,
making cash bets on the winner.  His mama said he
was never the same after he came home.  She said
the nightmares, the violence, the paranoia
persisted years after the private lawyers helped
him come home early.  His battles with addiction
and depression are not yet over.

And there is Shareef Cousin, who was tried as an
adult and sent to death row in the state of
Louisiana for a murder that he didn't
commit.  Shareef spent from age 16 to age 26
behind bars, the majority of those years isolated
in Angola's Death Row, because an over zealous
prosecutor didn't care that the evidence didn't
really add up.  After all, it was only a young Black man's life on the line.

These are young Black men who have encountered
Louisiana's criminal justice system who I know
because their mothers have become proud members
of Families and Friends of Louisiana's
Incarcerated Children (FFLIC), the organization I
have worked for over the last 7 years.  These
stories are about young men who have experienced
incredible injustice, not unlike the Jena 6, only
the national spotlight has never shined on them.

There are hundreds more.  Thousands.  Every day
in the state of Louisiana (and in most states in
this nation), injustices of epic proportions are
taking place in our criminal and juvenile justice
systems.  We, those of us who live here, fight
here, and organize here, know hundreds of
families and young people – often our own -
who've endured almost inconceivable levels of
violence, abuse, neglect.  And despite efforts to
get someone, anyone to care and to act, these
young people most often end up statistics in
somebody's dismal report, or an anecdote in an
article just like this.  Because people don't
care.  Because these young people are not just
poor, they are not just Black, they are criminals.

Hallelujah, someone noticed!

So, Hallelujah!  Almost overnight it seems, the
nation is looking deep into the heart of
Louisiana's criminal justice system and seeing
what we've been shouting about all these
years!  The racism, the blatant and unaccountable
abuse of power masquerading as "justice."  The
slavery-like, Jim Crow-like, Bush-era prejudice
and exploitation that has been the bedrock of
white supremacy here and all over the Deep South
for decades.  Young people of color and mothers
across the country are rising up saying "We wont
take it anymore!  We demand justice!"  The myth
that the goal of the criminal justice system is
protecting public safety is slowly unraveling as
youth in Philadelphia, DC,   Oakland and mothers
in Chicago, Jackson, and Birmingham make that
most important of realizations, "that could have
been me," "that could have been my child."

Many are asking, "why now?"  Why, of all the
horrific incidents we've seen and exposed, is
this the one that set off this fire of hope?  Our
young people have been shot and killed by police
in every city in this nation, left to die of
dehydration in local jails, railroaded by white
juries and judges into serving 20, 30, 40 years
in the prison plantations we call Angola, Parchment, and Sing Sing...

Let me tell you what my heart tells me.  What
really matters is not why, but what we plan to do
with this moment now that it has arrived.  What
will the leaders, the youth, the elders of our movement do now?

Demanding Justice for Us All

Of course we must relentlessly and persistently
demand justice for the Jena 6.  But we must
demand justice, not only in the form of dropping
the charges against these specific youth, but in
the systematic and thorough rooting out of racism
from all wings of the criminal justice systems
across the United States of America.

Justice in Jena requires justice for all the
others as well – for all those who have suffered
(and some who have died) silently behind bars and
for their families who have fought without
benefit of TV cameras and news reporters.  It
requires understanding that we will not, we can
not achieve racial justice in this country if we
do not fight against the criminal justice system,
not just in individual instances, but in its
institutionalized, systemic form.  If we do not
understand this – and understand it deeply – then
this newly discovered energy, this tidal wave of
outrage, this beautiful, intergenerational
protesting isn't going to mean a damn thing past next week's news.

Justice in Jena requires all of us across the
country to rise up against the racism and
exploitation of the criminal justice system in
all the places where we've come to see it and
grown to accept it whether that's allowing for an
abysmal public defender office in your county or
turning away when you see a police officer
trample the rights, and perhaps the body, of a
fellow citizen.  We must cast off once and for
all, the fundamental lie that the system has
anything to do with criminals or justice or
public safety.  We must not back down, as so many
movements have, when we are "crime-baited,"
accused of defending rapists and murderers,
accused of defending crime itself.  We must not
make excuses for some parts of the system while
protesting others.  Similar to opposing the war,
the whole war, and not simply certain battles or
certain strategies, we must oppose the system in
its entirety.  We must dismiss, once and for all,
the urge to discuss what's wrong with the system
– what's broken and needs to be fixed.

There is nothing broken in this system.  In fact,
usually (when it is not disrupted by 50,000
protestors), it is quite efficient at doing
precisely what it was created to do.  In the Deep
South, the criminal justice system as we know it
was built after the abolition of slavery, as part
of the terror machine which destroyed the briefly
federally protected Reconstruction era.  Without
nuance or subtlety, the system was created by
wealthy, land owning whites to keep Blacks "in
line," on the plantation, and working for next to
nothing.  Thanks to the Thirteenth Amendment
which abolished slavery "except as a punishment
for crime," laws and codes were invented that
criminalized the very existence of Black people,
police were hired to "enforce" those laws, and
courts were mandated to send these newly created
"criminals" to jail, or better yet, to be leased
out to the very plantation owners they had been
"freed" from just months before.  The "justice"
that was once meted out by slave owners who were
"masters" of their property, was now taken care
of by the law.  The word "slave" was replaced by the word "criminal."

"Its not about race, it's about crime"

And yet, even with this history known, the stigma
of criminality has remained so strong that our
own movements have turned their backs on this
issue over the years.  Too many of our movements
today want to dismiss, minimize, or overlook the
necessity for a racial justice movement to
prioritize organizing around criminal
justice.  Too often, our members meet others –
even those who should be allies – who hold the
entrenched belief that if a child is in prison,
he must be "bad," he must have done something
wrong.  Even in progressive circles,
organizations prefer to focus on the school
children who need an education, the families who
want affordable housing, the victims of street
violence and drive-by shootings.  These people
are portrayed as "innocent" and deserving while
currently and formerly incarcerated people are "guilty" - of something.

Of course, it's a false dichotomy.  Everyone
knows that the same communities, the same people,
who are most impacted by violence, the lack of
health care, education, and housing are those
most brutally impacted by policing and
prisons.  But the idea of the dichotomy has been
essential to maintaining the stigma which
justifies the system.  And it's been a handy and
effective tool to explain away a great deal of
racial injustice in this country.

In Jena, when asked about the incident which led
to the arrests of the Jena 6, a white librarian
confidently explained to the NPR reporter, "It's
not about race.  It's about crime."  Crime -- the
ultimate proxy for race, the ultimate justification for racism.

What the future holds

I believe that this moment in history can be a
pivotal one if we make it so.  Up to 50,000
people marched in the streets of Jena yesterday –
the majority of them Black, many were from the
South.  All were outraged by the blatant racism
evidenced by the criminal justice system.  This
could be the beginning of the end for a system
that should have been dismantled years ago.

But what we fight for and how we fight will make
all the difference.  The most obvious principle
is that we cannot fight for the system to expand
– in any way.  Asking for the white kids who hung
the nooses to be charged, calling for Hate Crime
Legislation -- these "solutions" just strengthen
the system and give the same players – the DA,
the judge, the jury – more powers and more
validation.  If we understand that the system, at
its core, is not designed to promote justice,
then why would we ask for anything that expands
its reach or powers?  At the very least, we must
only call for things which shrink the system –
closing prisons, freeing prisoners, cutting
correction budgets, eliminating the death penalty
and Life Without Parole, prohibiting juvenile
transfers, and implementing sentencing reform.

  We can also call for accountability from our
elected officials.  DAs and judges who perpetuate
injustice, state representatives who are in bed
with the corrections department and private
prison companies – these people should not be
allowed to hold office.  They should be ousted
whether by recall, regular elections, or public pressure to step down.

But we can – and should - also call for the
redirection of funds into a real public safety
system.  We must make it clear that the issue of
public safety is fundamentally distinct from the
issue of the criminal justice system.  The only
thing they have in common is
rhetoric.  Developing a public safety system
which is prevention orientated, based on
principles of restorative or transformative
justice, prioritizes making the victim and
community whole, and creatively resolving
conflict is a powerful and noble goal and our
communities should know more about these models
and fight for them.  A public safety system
includes community based programs, quality
education and the elimination of racism.

The families of the Jena 6 are ahead of the crowd
in the list of demands they have made public:
1.  Drop (or fairly reduce) All Charges;
2.  Reinstate School Credits; 3. No Juvenile
Records; 4. Investigate "Noose" Incident of
September 1, 2006; 5. Remove Reed Walters from
the District Attorney's Office; 6.Conduct Undoing
Racism Workshops for Staff, Faculty,
Administrators, Students, Parents and Community Members.

These are good demands for Jena.  What will you
demand in your hometown or city?

FFLIC is a membership based organization
consisting primarily of mothers and
grandmothers.  These mothers and grandmothers
have seen all sides of the farce known as the
criminal justice system.  They have been victims
of sexual and physical violence who have either
kept quiet or endured the humiliation and neglect
of the DA's office and the so-called victim's
advocates.  They have been forced to call the
police on their children when mental illness or
addiction has made them violent and no other
services exist.  They have visited their children
in prison and seen boot marks on their
faces.  They have walked home alone through dark
streets in poor neighborhoods where there are no
programs, no services, no activities to keep
young men busy and hopeful.  They have seen their
children beat by police officers, by prison
guards, sometimes even by judges and district attorneys.

Standing on both sides of the system, these
mothers will tell you that justice exists nowhere
in the vicinity.  It may sound radical, but its
time we start listening to those who have been
through it all and tear down the disgrace that is
the U.S. criminal justice system.

Note:

<http://www.zmag.org/content/?view=page&name=htmlcompose&ver=1chdyj2lqwlxk#11547823064251a5__ftnref1>[1]
Name has been changed for purposes of confidentiality

Xochitl Bervera is co-director of Families and
Friends of Louisiana's Incarcerated Children
(<http://www.fflic.org>www.fflic.org).  She can
be reached at <mailto:xochitl at fflic.org>xochitl at fflic.org.

Resources:

New York Collective of Radical Educators (NYCoRE)
and Network of Teacher Activist Groups (TAG) have
developed: Revealing Racist Roots: The 3 R's for
Teaching About the Jena 6, a curriculum guide for
teachers to address what's happening in
Jena.   Download the resource guide in PDF
Version or Word Version for free at:
<http://www.nycore.org/>www.nycore.org OR  <http://www.t4sj.org/>www.t4sj.org.

Donate to support the legal defense fund:
Jena 6 Defense Committee
PO BOX 2798
Jena, LA 71342

Sign the petitions at:
<http://www.colorofchange.org/jena/>http://www.colorofchange.org/jena/

For more information or to offer concrete support, email:
jena6defense(at)gmail.com<http://writewhatilike.typepad.com/>

The Jena Six and the School To Prison Pipeline:
<http://naacpldf.org/content.aspx?article=1208>http://naacpldf.org/content.aspx?article=1208