[News] Solidarity with Haiti and the SF 8

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Nov 30 15:32:16 EST 2007

Solidarity with Haiti and the SF 8
by Ben Terrall
Wednesday, 28 November 2007
http://www.sfbayview.com/20071128639/News/This_week/Solidarity_with_Haiti_and_the_SF_8.html

Pack the courtroom at 850 Bryant for the SF 8 Monday: 8am rally, 9am court

On Saturday, Nov. 10, at the Berkeley Unitarian
Universalists Hall, the Haiti Action Committee
and the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement hosted a
program of solidarity with Haiti. The event was
co-sponsored by the BFUU Social Justice Committee
and Africans United to End the Occupation of Haiti.

Haiti Action Committee co-founder Pierre
Labossiere thanked the delegation reporting back
from their July 2007 visit to Port-au-Prince,
stressing the importance of such visits. "The
people of Haiti have been isolated. It's been a
specific system set up around Haiti, to create a
murkiness. So when you don't know each other, you
don't connect with each other. And the most
outrageous things could be happening, but ...
people don't have any connection or hear about it."

Delegation participant Nia Amara projected her
photos from the July visit. Amara said, "because
of the situation ... that the United States and
France have put Haiti in, most children, most
people, are living a hand to mouth existence and
they aren't able to live to their fullest potential.

"Since the beginning of the revolution in 1791,
the Western white world, basically the United
States and France ... have had their feet on
Haiti's neck and have not allowed it to live to
the fullest, or to fulfill its potential. Despite
all of these odds, [the Haitian people] continue
to fight with dignity and determination and
fearlessness, and they're going to keep doing so
until [ousted President Jean-Bertrand] Aristide
is returned, until political prisoners are freed,
until there's an end to the occupation." She
added, "I hope these images convey some of that
fighting spirit, some of the beauty, and some of
that determination that we encountered while we
were there." They did, and then some.

Amara also showed footage of a protest at U.N.
headquarters. In translating, Labossiere
explained, "This was a demonstration in
commemoration of the 92nd anniversary of the
first occupation of Haiti by the U.S. Marines in
1915. During that occupation, the U.S., similar
to what they did in Nicaragua, the administration
at the time created a new Haitian military ...
not to defend the population of Haiti and to
protect the Haitian people and to help build the
nation, but ... to be an extension of the
occupation, so that 19 years later when ... the
marines left, the Haitian military received their
money from the U.S. and continued to repress the masses of our people."

Labossiere explained that at the protest,
activist Lovinsky Pierre-Antoine "was making a
parallel between that occupation from 1915 to
1934 and the current occupation that started in
2004. And he was saying that the people elected a
president democratically and the U.S., again, and
France and Canada joined forces and they
overthrew that president and now we have an
occupation in the country similar to what happened in 1915."

Lovinsky Pierre-Antoine was kidnapped on Aug. 12
and is still missing. Labossiere described
Lovinsky: "As a young psychologist, he started
several projects. One of them was to work with
mothers, adolescent mothers; another one was to
work with street children, to help put together
some institutions to respond to their needs and to provide schooling to them.

"Lovinsky was himself a teacher, teaching
homeless kids, kids on the street ... and right
after the first coup d'état, he founded an
institution called the 30th of September
Foundation, and it took its name from the date of
the first coup d'état against President Aristide
on Sept. 30, 1991. Their goal was to work with
survivors of torture, people who had been put in
jail, people who were tortured."

Dr. Akinyele Umoja, an associate professor at
Georgia State University at Atlanta, and a
founding member of both the New Afrikan People's
Organization and of the Malcolm X Grassroots
Organization, also shared thoughts about
Lovinsky. Dr. Umoja recalled: "Meeting that
brother, I got the sense, you know, we actually
were sitting and talking to somebody who is
linked to that history that I learned about. It
was a link to this history that inspired a revolution to overthrow slavery.

"I was connected to that culture of resistance
that exists there, just talking to that brother,
who had a very clear political analysis of what
was going on there, a very clear understanding of
the culture. I learned later that he was ... the
primary organizer who organized the
demonstrations this year around Aristide's
birthday, where 12,000 people came out in Port-au-Prince."

Dr. Umoja gave people he met in Haiti information
about a Louisiana tribunal on U.S. government
crimes committed during and after Katrina. He
recalled that Lovinsky not only immediately
signed on his organization as an endorser of the
tribunal, but wanted to participate in it. Dr.
Umoja observed: "Lovinsky was somebody who was
concerned about international solidarity. He
wanted support for the Haitian struggle, but he
also was reaching out to our struggle here in the
United States, and was about reciprocating."

Dr. Umoja also distributed information in Haiti
about the San Francisco 8. As San Francisco 8
defendant Richard Brown, now out of jail, thanks
to an unrelenting support network, explained when
speaking at the report back, "We were attacked
viciously by the counterintelligence program
COINTELPRO just for serving the people, just for
having the audacity to tell Black people that
they had the right to determine their own
destiny." Brown and his co-defendants in the over
30-year-old case, a murder charge based on
confessions extracted through torture, need the
same solidarity that Lovinsky continues to require.

On Monday, Dec. 3, at 850 Bryant, there will be
an 8 a.m. demonstration before the 9 a.m. hearing
for the SF 8 case. For more information, visit
www.freethesf8.org/; for more on Haiti, go to www.haitisolidarity.net.