[News] Fidel - Venezuela Under Fire

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Nov 30 11:17:28 EST 2007

Reflections by the Commander in Chief

A PEOPLE UNDER FIRE

         Venezuela, whose people are heirs to
Bolivar’s ideas which transcend his era, is today
facing a world tyranny a thousand times more
powerful than that of Spain’s colonial strength
added to that of the recently born United States
which, through Monroe, proclaimed their right to
the natural wealth of the continent and to the sweat of its people.

      Martí denounced the brutal system and
called it a monster, in whose entrails he had
lived.  His internationalist spirit shone as
never before when, in a letter left unfinished
due to his death in combat, he publicly revealed
the objective of his restless struggle: “
I am
now every day risking my life for my country, and
for my duty –since I understand it and have the
courage to do it– to timely prevent, with the
independence of Cuba, that the United States
expand over the Antilles and that they fall, with
this additional force, over our lands in America
”

      It was not in vain that he stated in plain
verse: “With the poor of this earth, my fate I
wish to cast”.  Later, he proclaimed
categorically: “Humanity is homeland”.  The
Apostle of our independence wrote one day: “Let
Venezuela call on me to serve her: I am her son”.

      The most sophisticated media developed by
technology, employed to kill human beings and to
subjugate or exterminate peoples; the massive
sowing of conditioned reflexes of the mind;
consumerism and all available resources; these
are being used today against the Venezuelans,
with the intent of ripping the ideas of Bolivar and Martí to shreds.

      The empire has created conditions conducive
to violence and internecine conflicts. On
Chavez’s recent visit last November 21, I
seriously discussed with him the risks of
assassination as he is constantly out in the open
in convertible vehicles. I said this because of
my experience as a combatant trained in the use
of an automatic weapon and a telescopic sight.
Likewise, after the triumph, I became the target
of assassination plots directly or indirectly
ordered by almost every United States administration since 1959.

      The irresponsible government of the empire
does not stop for a minute to think that the
assassination of Venezuela’s leader or a civil
war in that country would blow up the globalized
world economy, due to its huge reserves of
hydrocarbons.  Such circumstances are without
precedent in the history of mankind.

      Cuba developed close ties with the
Bolivarian government of Venezuela during the
hardest days resulting from the demise of the
USSR and the tightening of the United States
economic blockade.  The exchange of goods and
services grew from practically zero level to more
than 7 billion dollars annually, with great
economic and social benefits for both our
peoples. Today that is where we receive the
fundamental supplies of fuel needed for our
country's consumption, something that would be
very difficult to obtain from other sources due
to the shortage of light crude oil, the
insufficient refining capacity, the United
States’ power and the wars its has unleashed to
seize the world oil and gas reserves.

      Add to the high energy prices, the prices
of foods destined by imperial policy to be
transformed into fuel for the gas-guzzling cars
of the United States and other industrial nations.

      A victory of the Yes vote on December 2
would not be enough.  The weeks and months
following that date may very well prove to be
extremely tough for many countries, Cuba for one;
although before that the empire’s adventures
could lead the planet into an atomic war, as their own leaders have confessed.

      Our compatriots can rest assured that I
have had time to think and to meditate at length on these problems.

Fidel Castro Ruz
November 29, 2007
8:12 p.m.

Permanent Mission of Republic of Cuba