[News] Pledge of Resistance in Defense of the Right to Housing in New Orleans

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Nov 12 10:57:14 EST 2007

<mailto:blackleftunity at googlegroups.com>blackleftunity at googlegroups.com

Greetings Comrades,

Please spread this pledge around to as many Black
activists as you can. The demolition of public
housing in New Orleans, starting with the Lafitte
projects is imminent. As of now, December 15th
appears to be the drop dead date - meaning that
if we don't secure an injunction from the courts,
or Federal legislation passed by that date, the
HUD will have the green light to start demolitions immediately.

So, we need to start acting and acting
immediately. This is one step towards that. I'm
putting it out here first cause we MUST ensure
that their are a fair number of Black activists
engaged in this struggle. We are sure that a good
number of white activists will be engaging the
struggle, and that is appreciated, but we HAVE to
have a Black strong Black presence in order to really bolster this fight.

So, comrades. Please do whatever you can to
spread the word and encourage our people to get
engaged. Also be on the lookout for action blasts
targeting Senator Vitter and Council Woman Stacy
Head whom are acting as the main enemies on the legislative front ASAP.

In Unity and Struggle,
Kali

------------------------------

Pledge of Resistance in Defense of the Right to
Housing in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A major human rights crisis exists in New Orleans
and the Gulf Coast. It is a crisis that denies
the basic rights to life, equality under the law,
and social equity to Black, Indigenous, migrant,
and working class communities in the region.
While this crisis was in existence long before
Hurricane Katrina, the policies and actions of
the US government and finance capital ( i.e.
banking, credit, insurance, and development
industries) following the Hurricane have seriously exacerbated the crisis.

One of the clearest examples of this crisis is
the denial of the right to housing in New
Orleans, particularly in the public housing
sector. Since the Hurricane, the US government
through the Department of Housing and Urban
Development (HUD) has denied the vast majority of
the residents of public housing the right to
return to their homes. Unlike the vast majority
of the housing stock in New Orleans, the majority
of the public housing units received little to no
flood or wind damage from the Hurricane. Yet, as
of October 2007 only ¼ of the public housing
units have been reopened and reoccupied. The Bush
government refuses to reopen the public housing
units in New Orleans because it appears intent on
destroying the public housing system, demolishing
the existing structures, and turning over the
properties to private real-estate developers to make profits.

Based on the discriminatory Federal Court ruling
issued on Monday, September 10th, all of the
major public housing units in New Orleans are now
subject to immediate demolition (the latest
report from Monday, November 5th is that HUD will
attempt to start the demolition on Monday,
November 19th. However, this is being challenged
by various legal advocates and will be delayed
until at least Wednesday, November 28th pending a
Federal court hearing). The first site on the
schedule for demolition is the Lafitte housing
project. Lafitte therefore, is the line in the
sand that must be drawn by all peoples in support
of the human right to housing.

"I Pledge"

I believe in the fundamental human right to
housing, and I will not be a witness to the
denial of this right to the peoples of New
Orleans and the Gulf Coast. I therefore pledge
myself to resist the denial of this right by all
civil and humanitarian means available, including
civil disobedience. I pledge to stand ready to
take action against this imminent threat and to
put myself on the line, either directly in New
Orleans or in strategic locales throughout the
US, in support of the demands and leadership of
the peoples of New Orleans and their
organizations in the struggle for housing and human rights.

Name:
Organization (if applicable):
Phone:
Email:
Have you ever received any training in civil disobedience?

We ask that all those interested in coming to New
Orleans to contact us before making the journey.
We need to ensure that everyone coming is
registered, properly orientated and trained in
order to partake in this act of resistance in the
manner determined by the local leaders and
residents. Please contact us via email at
<mailto:action at peopleshurricane.org>action at peopleshurricane.org.

All making this pledge must be advised of the following:
1.    As of now we do not know exactly when the
demolition orders will be given. We hope to have
this information within at least 48 hours of the
scheduled demolition to contact you and give you
sufficient time to act (including travel for
residents and allies coming in from out of town).
2.    Given the limited timeframe and resources
of the various organizations spearheading this
fight back, access to the following will be limited:
•    Legal counsel and aid. All effort is and
will be made to provide adequate legal support,
but the reality is that it is limited at present.
•    Lodging and food. Again, given the uncertain
timeline and limited resources, housing venues
are presently limited, but all effort will be
made to support all those making this bold pledge.

For more information, please contact the Peoples'
Hurricane Relief Fund (PHRF) at 504.301.0215 or
<mailto:info at peopleshurricane.org>info at peopleshurricane.org
or Survivors Village at 504.239.2907 or
<mailto:survivorsvillage at gmail.com>survivorsvillage at gmail.com.

Dare to Struggle, Dare to Win!