[News] Eyewitness Haiti- Sat Nov 10 in Berkeley

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 7 10:40:46 EST 2007

Malcolm X Grassroots Movement and Haiti Action Committee present

Report Back from Haiti
Building Democracy from the Grassroots

Unitarian Universalist Fellowship Hall
1924 Cedar Street (at Bonita Avenue)
Berkeley

Saturday, November 10th
7:00 P.M.

This summer, members of the Haiti Action Committee, along with Dr.
Akinyele Umoja of the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement, traveled to
Haiti.  We met with grassroots activists, political prisoners and
human rights workers. We heard the continuing calls for the return of
former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide. We saw close-up the
resistance to the U.S./U.N. occupation.

Throughout our trip, Haitian sisters and brothers expressed their
support for the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.  They sent
solidarity to the San Francisco 8 Black Panther Party
veterans/political prisoners now facing trial.  And they made it clear
that their fight for justice and democracy in Haiti is one and the
same as the fight for freedom here.

Program to include:

Ø    Akinyele Umoja ­ Associate Professor of African American Studies
at University of Georgia in Atlanta. Dr. Umoja is an activist/scholar
who has participated for over 35 years in the Black liberation
struggle. He is a founding member of the New Afrikan Peoples
Organization and the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement.

Ø    Richard Brown ­ Black Panther Party Veteran and member of the San
Francisco 8.

Ø    Slide Presentation from the recent delegation to Haiti.

Join us for an evening of solidarity with the people of Haiti!

Sponsored by Haiti Action Committee, Malcolm X Grassroots Movement,
Africans United To End the Occupation of Haiti, and Berkeley
Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists Social Justice Committee.

$5-10 No one turned away for lack of funds
Wheelchair accessible

For more information: www.mxgm.org or www.haitisolidarity.net
Call us at: 510-483-7481 (H.A.C.) or 510-533-6609 (MXGM)