[News] Nadia Hasan – Interrogation and Denial: How Israel Keeps Palestinians Down and Out

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 3 19:55:49 EDT 2007

Thursday, May 3, 2007

http://peacepalestine.blogspot.com/

Nadia Hasan – Interrogation and Denial: How
Israel Keeps Palestinians Down and Out

Note: Nadia is a Palestinian woman with a Chilean
passport. She is a human rights activist and
translator. Her only "sin" is wishing to set foot
in the land that gave birth to her family, the
land that is part of her. For this sin, for the
racist prejudice against Palestinians, for the
fear that Israelis have of facing the fact that
the land they came to live on is the land that
others yearn for and have been attached to for
countless generations, she is paying the price.
Justice will come, one day, Nadia. It may take time, but the day will come.

Dear friends,
Some of you didn’t know I was planning to enter
in Palestine again but I did. I got a letter from
the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs saying I
was no longer refused entry into Israel. I was so
happy. I packed my bag, I closed my house in
Amman and I took a plane to Tel Aviv yesterday
morning. Now I am writing you from Amman, I was deported again.

Everything is posted here. Sorry for my English,
I hope you will be able to understand everything.
Salam
Nadia

First of all, I want to thank all of you for your
nice words to me and your continuous and infinite support.

What happened to me yesterday is something I
couldn't imagine to be possible before, not
because I didn't think I could be refused again,
it always was a possibility, and even I knew
about the "interrogation" I would be expected to
pass, but not in the way they did it.

I landed in Tel Aviv at 7 AM, I gave my passport
in the passport control and after less than 2
minutes, 3 guys came to me saying they had been
waiting for my arrival. They took me to a big
room with all my stuff. More than 20 people there
started to check every single thing. First of
all, they took my mobile and wrote down in front
of me every single phone number and name I have
in it, they check my sms, the latest calls I made
and received, the pictures on my camera, everything.

After that, they checked me, my body, my clothes,
my hair, my ears, even my nails.

One guy was introduced to me as Samy (I don't
remember the last name). "I am Samy, from the
Ministry of Defense, it’s been a few days that
I’ve been waiting for your arrival, I will work
on you today, we will put everything on the
table, it will be hard because I am not a nice
person, I am strong, this is why they chose me
for you, you are a special person Nadia, and you
will get the best security system we have, if you
collaborate with us we will help you."

Samy took me to a room very far from the main
center of the airport. The office has the logo of
Ministry of Defense, one woman was with us all
the time (according to him it was so that it
wouldn’t make me feel bad. He told me, "I know
Arabs girls, they don't want to be alone with a
man, we respect you, don't worry”). First of all,
he took several pictures of me and opened a file
in his computer. Asking me about my family, phone
numbers, professions, number of children,
addresses, everything. He made copies of my
credit card saying he must check the previous
movement activities on it, made copies of my ID,
driver’s license, the pictures of my family I
have with me, writing down who is who, etc.

After all this, he started, “I am here not to
check what you did in Nablus, if you worked or
not, if you stayed more than the permitted time,
if you engaged in illegal activities, etc. There
are people working on it, my job is check about
TERRORIST ACTIVITIES YOU CAN BE INVOLVED WITH.
For that we need to check on the people you are
related to because WE KNOW that you know 5
people, terrorist ones, the worst people here are
close friends of yours. If you give us their
names (despite the fact that we already have
them) you will enter, if you collaborate with us, we will help you Nadia.”

And the show started.

He started with people in my mobile, one by one,
the 163 numbers I have. “Who is he/she, how did
you meet this person, are you in touch with him
until now?” etc. Every single person in my mobile
(the Palestinian numbers and Jordanian numbers)
were checked on his computer and immediately a
picture of this person was shown. I saw Sam' s
picture, Anita's picture, Yusra's picture,
Sumaida's picture, etc. The problem was not with
them. At one point he started asking me about
people in Balata and Askar Camp, people it is
supposed that I know and he was waiting for me to
mention them. He told me that he’s been checking
on me for a few months. "Many people you know in
Nablus were interrogated, and almost all of them
coincide in 5 names, saying you are a very close
friend of theirs. Many people in Nablus know you
Nadia, and we contacted all of them. Now you must start speaking."

I didn't know who they were looking for, as you
can imagine. He continued with my mobile list and
he found two of these 5 names he was looking for.
3 hours of the interrogation was about a friend
of mine, actually a close friend of mine. He
showed me his picture, and his brother’s picture.
In my mobile I have an sms from him wishing me
good luck for my trip, and in my camera I had a
picture with his brother because I visited him
two days ago in a Camp here in Jordan. I
explained to him that we are friends, I told him
how and where and when we met and what kind of
relationship we have. The guy didn't stop calling
someone by phone asking for things and
immediately new pictures of people were shown on
his computer and he asked me about these people,
most of whom I’ve never seen in my life, but some
of them I had seen, and even their numbers were in my mobile.

He told me that these people are the worst people
here, related with terrorist activities, and how
is it possible that I don't know about that if it is clear we are good friends.

I told him that I can’t be blamed for what
someone else did or didn't do, that I don't know
what he is taking about. I explain again to him
how I met these guys and everything, but he
continues saying I was not telling him all the
truth because he already knows the truth and I
will not enter again in Israel if I don't
collaborate with him providing him with more details.

After he checked my mobile again and asked me how
it can be possible that from the 163 numbers I
had on it only 13 are from people in Jordan and
all the rest are Palestinians. "How is it
possible Nadia, that a woman like you, smart,
good looking, attractive woman, doesn’t have more
relationships with people in Jordan? How is it
possible Nadia, that you go everyday from your
work to your house in Amman and you don't do
anything else for more than a year, because we
know that. What are you planning to do, why you
insist so desperately to enter in Israel, why you
are so related to these terrorists? Did they ask
you to do something? Have they asked you for
money? Have they asked if you are married? What
are you planning to do with them as soon you
enter here???? We know the truth, but we want to
hear it from you, and again, if you don't
collaborate with us we can not help you."

After a few minutes, another guy enters in the
room, Amir, and he looks at me and tells me,
"Stop lying, you are hiding something and we know
it. You have bad friends and your relationship
with them makes you related to their activities.
I don't trust you and you will not enter because of that."

After he left and I was alone again with Samy I
started crying, crying like a baby, and I told
him that I want to stop with this interrogation
and khalas. Send me back to Jordan because I
don't know what they are looking for and I am not
related to anything they were thinking. Samy sat
next to me and kindly told me, "You are a nice
person, a strong woman, I can see, well educated.
Don't make mistakes, this is your opportunity to
tell the truth. We will help you: give me the
other 3 names we know you know, and don't cry
anymore. Why are you so nervous? Why is this is
so important to you? I don't understand and if I
don't understand, I can only think about you what
I already think about you... I WILL NOT LET YOU
ENTER IF I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING BECAUSE I WILL
BE RESPONSIBLE WHEN YOU BLOW YOURSELF UP IN TEL AVIV."

The interrogation continued, he made copies of
all the pictures I have and started writing down
next to each person their names and looking in
his computer. He found another person in my
pictures that according to him is a terrorist and
he said, "Nadia, maybe you have clean hands, but
if any person puts their hands in a dirty water,
with time their hands will be dirty, and your hands are already black."

To make everything short, he told me, "You don't
look good, your situation here is not good, you
have strong connections with bad activities here,
and because this world is not safe because of
MUSLIMS (Nadia, remember how the world is now
after September 11 because of Muslims) you are a
big risk for the security of Israeli people and
all the visitors of this country. Israel is a
democracy, one of the best countries in the
world, not like the Arab ones, and we work hard
to prevent any terrorist activities here and you
are not helping us with our mission."

He left me saying, “My team will decide now about
what we will do with you but I don't think you
will be able to enter here again, you are a risk
for yourself and for others, and you can do
whatever you want, like go to the COURT. If you
do that, I will be happy to go there personally
and make sure YOU WILL NEVER ENTER HERE AGAIN.”

All this interrogation lasted from 7:20 am until 4:15 pm.

Downstairs the Chilean consul was waiting for me,
I was allowed to speak with him and go out
accompanied by security, to smoke a cigarette. I
never saw Samy again, he didn't come back to tell
me the results of the meeting, but since before I
finished the interrogation, people from security
told the consul I was not allowed to enter in Israel.

They asked me to go to the check room again, they
checked all my bags and myself again and put me
on a plane back to Amman at 7 pm.

I will finish writing this saying to all of you
that I did my best yesterday. I don’t think
anybody is ready to face something like that, at
least not me because I am not used to being
treated as a terrorist. I feel sorry for all the
people who are related to me; now they have all
their names and phone numbers, they can check on
them because of my fault. I feel like the worst
collaborator in the world and I am making the
life of others harder than it already is.

I don't know in which point everything turned so
dirty. In my 8 months in Palestine I only did
translations, met people, drank coffee with them,
learning about the life in Palestine without
judging anyone. I will never regret having such
beautiful friends, specially this guy that for
the Israelis is one of the most dangerous people
in the West Bank, but I want be sure he and the
rest will not have any problem because of me. I
will keep apart, I don't want to collaborate to
continue with the injustice they are facing since
the same day they were born, only because they were born as Palestinians.

Salam to all
Nadia

Today, the day after this horrible and inhumane
experience, Nadia’s regained her perspective and
her inner strength. This is her reply to a letter:

I am not afraid anymore. I know they were
playing with me yesterday, they want to defeat me
but they will never do it, I am not the weaker in this evil game, they are.

For a few months, I had been working in getting
the support of the Chilean Government and I did.
The Chilean Government made a very strong
complaint to the Israeli Government about my
previous deportation. I got the support of more
than 50 deputies in Chile that personally
committed with me in support of my case. I spent
one month in Chile having meetings, the
Chancellor included, and after all this, the
Israeli Foreign Ministry provided me with a
letter saying I was no longer refused entry into Israel.
Now I know the truth.

They wanted to orchestrate all of this show to
humiliate me and torture me on one side and also
to claim that I was linked to terrorists and
that's why I was always denied entry and that's
why I am denied entry now so they could fight me
back on the political and diplomatic level. They
want to use this ploy to repair some of the
damage I caused to their foreign policy, at least
with Chile. They sent me that communication to
make me think that my efforts are bringing some
results. At the same time, they prepared a
special team to give "special" treatment. It is
obvious that those doing it were instructed by
the highest political authority. It's a crime. To
make it look justified, they invent stories
against people. I do not even know what these
people are accused with anyway. If you know them
or you do not is not that important even. Those
people might be accused of anything, but who says
that they are guilty? Which court proves those
people's guilt of anything? An Israeli Army
Military Court? Hell! Over 700 thousand
Palestinians were arrested and detained by
Israelis. How many were proved guilty of any
offense, even if accusations are based on Israeli
military orders that are way worse than South
Africa’s Apartheid system? It is them we have to
bring to court. They are guilty!

About Nadia’s previous experience with “Israeli
Security” and interrogation:
<http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/article_21608.shtml>here
and
<http://peacepalestine.blogspot.com/2006/03/nadia-hasan-you-cant-go-home-again.html>here