[News] PHRF makes a breakthrough on price gouging and tenants rights in New Orleans

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 19 16:21:30 EDT 2007

PHRF makes a breakthrough on price gouging and tenants rights in New Orleans

Thursday, March 15, 2007 – More than 100 members,
supporters, and coalition partners of the
People’s Hurricane Relief Fund (PHRF) and Tenants
Rights Working Group (TRW) – some as far away as
Houston - including Critical Resistance,
Survivors Village, C3/Hands Off Iberville, Zion
City Community Organization, Common Ground
Collective, and the NAACP won a major concession
from City Council on the question of price
gouging and the lack of tenant rights in the city of New Orleans.

In the face of mounting pressure from the more
than 10,000 signatures gathered on the price
gouging and tenants rights petition,
demonstrations outside the home of Council Woman
Stacy Head organized by Survivors Village, and
the barrage of phone calls and emails sent to the
various City Council members demanding rent
control, an agreement was reached in principle
that the City Council, through its Housing and
Human Development Committee, would:
1) Develop policies to address the question of rent control in New Orleans.
2) Work with PHRF and the TRW on this Committee
to craft the necessary policies.
3) Would challenge the State Legislature and
Constitution to address the crisis of price
gouging and lack of tenant rights protections.

Several other critical breakthroughs were made at
the Council Meeting. The 15th action marked the
first occasion since the Hurricane and Great
Flood where renters and tenants spoke and acted
on their own behalf and were directly included in
the decision making processes of the government
determining the course of the city’s
reconstruction. To this point the reconstruction
process has been totally dominated by developers,
property owners, and designers. Another critical
development was the organic connections and
identifications made by private and public market
renters as “tenants”. This emerging consciousness
is critical for the development of the TRW, which
seeks to unite public and private market renters
into one powerful organization or block to win
Affordable Housing and the Right of Return.

The concessions of the City Council are but the
first step in the struggle to win Affordable
Housing in New Orleans. PHRF and the TRW are very
clear that we must continue to grow, build, and
mount escalating pressure to actually win a price
gouging and rent control ordinance and renter
relief and restitution. We are going to need the
ongoing support of all our supporters, allies,
and partners to attain this victory. We are
asking that everyone continue to support us in
our outreach efforts to Internally Displaced
Persons (IDP’s) to build the TRW, and to support
our upcoming forums and mobilizations, including
a critical forum on Class and Class Conflict in
the Reconstruction Movement in New Orleans in
April, to win this undeniable human right.

The Tenants Rights Working Group (TRW) will host
its next meeting on Tuesday, March 20th at 6 pm
at the offices of the People’s Hurricane Relief
Fund (PHRF) located at 1418 N. Claiborne Ave. #2,
New Orleans, LA 70116. For more information call
504.301.0215 or email phrfoc at gmail.com, Also
visit our website at www.peopleshurricane.org.