[News] Rock-star Churchill holds court before heading there

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jul 26 13:02:43 EDT 2007

Rocky Mountain News

LITTWIN: Rock-star Churchill holds court before heading there

July 26, 2007

<http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/cda/article_print//drmn/columnist/0,1299,DRMN_86_110,00.html>
picture
Ward Churchill was in a great mood Tuesday for a
guy who was about to be fired.

Why not?

If you like political theater - and we all know
Churchill loves it - this was all the stage anyone could ever hope for.

He didn't just get fired. He got fired in front
of The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times
and a team of documentarians and every known
local TV camera - and with Dan Caplis pacing the
room holding one of those big microphones in
which I kept expecting him to intone, "This is Boulder."

And Churchill was there for it all in his T-shirt
and shades looking every bit the rock-star
revolutionary he always wanted to be. And loving
every time someone such as Bill O'Reilly - if
there is anyone, indeed, like Bill O'Reilly - mentions his name.

Just in case you missed the point: The media - me
and Bill and the boys - have made Churchill, a
once deservedly obscure professor, officially famous.

You just had to watch how the timorous CU regents
reacted Tuesday to understand how low we've gone.

You'd have thought Che Guevara was on trial. The
regents - who were afraid to hold their hearing
in open session, even though Churchill asked them
to - were obviously expecting a riot. It was hilarious.

The regents looked like every uptight university
official out of a documentary on the '60s. You
not only had to pass through a metal detector to
get into the Glenn Miller Ballroom. The regents
seated themselves as far as possible from any hoi
polloi, behind a velvet rope and then another
barrier covered with what looked like a black curtain.

Call it the CU Regents Green Zone, which even the
most exercised Churchill supporter - or, for that
matter, Jay Cutler - would have had trouble reaching with a tossed chair.

If you picture yourself - as we can only guess
Churchill does - as an outlaw professor, standing
up against the establishment, you couldn't have drawn a better scene.

And after it was all over, and after the regents
failed to get a unanimous vote to fire him, and
after not a single chair was tossed, Churchill
met the news media. He took the time to rip Glenn
Miller as a "hack" musician - this is the
essential Churchill, attacking Glenn Miller - but
also to explain his good mood.

He said he was looking forward to facing a court
of law instead of a "kangaroo court."

David Lane, Churchill's lawyer, went to Denver
District Court on Wednesday to file his suit
against CU. He predicted that, within a year, a jury will hear it.

If you thought you'd gotten rid of Churchill, you
must not understand the rules of the game.

I read the brief (it's online at
RockyMountainNews.com), which is just a general
outline of the case. Lane gave reporters a taste
of his plan Tuesday while we were waiting for the regents to finish voting.

"No sane person in America could conclude this
was not motivated by his 9/11 comments," Lane said.

He's right. That's how it began. It's the part
that CU will have to explain away, if this ever
gets to a jury. When CU President Hank Brown was
asked about that, he smilingly ducked and dodged the question.

You don't get that luxury under oath - unless you're, say, Alberto Gonzales.

Someone will have to answer the question about
what, if anything, Gov. Bill Owens said to whom
at CU about Churchill. Owens, of course, wanted
Churchill gone no sooner than he read the words
"little" and "Eichmanns" consecutively.

The Eichmann line still shocks. It should still
shock. It will shock a jury, any jury. When the
Churchill affair began, I was told by lawyers
that no jury would give Churchill a dime. But
it's later, much later. The country has turned against the war.

What's clear is that CU should have settled with
Churchill long ago. Everyone would have forgiven,
or at least forgotten, by now - even talk radio.
Now CU faces at least another year of Churchill stories.

This is the case Lane will attempt to make:

"Everything happening here is in retaliation for
his First Amendment protected speech. I don't
have to prove it as the main reason. I just have
to prove that it was a motivating factor."

Then, of course, there's the question of
Churchill's academic misconduct. If you talk to
Churchill, though, he insists he has done nothing
wrong. He can give you chapter and verse -
presumably with footnotes, which you might want to check - about his critics.

If you read the Rocky on Wednesday, you saw
authors whom Churchill has cited calling him a
"fraud" and a "liar" who shouldn't be teaching at
any university. Which is, of course, what CU ultimately decided.

But who wouldn't want to see this played out in a
courtroom? In America, where else could it end?

The trial would be a circus. In fact, I think
that's the only thing you can say about this
affair without fear of an argument - although,
wait, that may be O'Reilly's producer on the line now.

<mailto:littwinm at RockyMountainNews.com>littwinm at RockyMountainNews.com

<http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/cda/article_print//drmn/columnist/0,1299,DRMN_86_110,00.html>MORE
LITTWIN COLUMNS »

Copyright 2007, Rocky Mountain News. All Rights Reserved.