[News] Why Africa Fears Western Medicine

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jul 31 16:36:01 EDT 2007

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/31/opinion/edwashington.php

Op-Ed Contributor
Why Africa Fears Western Medicine

By HARRIET A. WASHINGTON
Published: July 31, 2007

TO Westerners, the repatriation of five nurses
and a doctor to Bulgaria last week after more
than eight years’ imprisonment meant the end of
an unsettling ordeal. The medical workers, who in
May 2004 were sentenced to death on charges of
intentionally infecting hundreds of Libyan
children with H.I.V., have been freed, and
another international incident is averted.
Skip to next paragraph
Anthony Russo

But to many Africans, the accusations, which have
been validated by a guilty verdict and a promise
to reimburse the families of the infected
children with a $426 million payout, seem
perfectly plausible. The medical workers’ release
appears to be the latest episode in a health care
nightmare in which white and Western-trained
doctors and nurses have harmed Africans — and have gone unpunished.

The evidence against the Bulgarian medical team,
like H.I.V.-contaminated vials discovered in
their apartments, has seemed to Westerners
preposterous. But to dismiss the Libyan
accusations of medical malfeasance out of hand
means losing an opportunity to understand why a
dangerous suspicion of medicine is so widespread in Africa.

Africa has harbored a number of high-profile
Western medical miscreants who have intentionally
administered deadly agents under the guise of
providing health care or conducting research. In
March 2000, Werner Bezwoda, a cancer researcher
at South Africa’s Witwatersrand University, was
fired after conducting medical experiments
involving very high doses of chemotherapy on
black breast-cancer patients, possibly without
their knowledge or consent. In Zimbabwe, in 1995,
Richard McGown, a Scottish anesthesiologist, was
accused of five murders and convicted in the
deaths of two infant patients whom he injected
with lethal doses of morphine. And Dr. Michael
Swango, ultimately convicted of murder after
pleading guilty to killing three American
patients with lethal injections of potassium, is
suspected of causing the deaths of 60 other
people, many of them in Zimbabwe and Zambia
during the 1980s and ’90s. (Dr. Swango was never tried on the African charges.)

These medical killers are well known throughout
Africa, but the most notorious is Wouter Basson,
a former head of Project Coast, South Africa’s
chemical and biological weapons unit under
apartheid. Dr. Basson was charged with killing
hundreds of blacks in South Africa and Namibia,
from 1979 to 1987, many via injected poisons. He
was never convicted in South African courts, even
though his lieutenants testified in detail and
with consistency about the medical crimes they conducted against blacks.

Such well-publicized events have spread a fear of
medicine throughout Africa, even in countries
where Western doctors have not practiced in
significant numbers. It is a fear the continent
can ill afford when medical care is already hard
to come by. Only 1.3 percent of the world’s
health workers practice in sub-Saharan Africa,
although the region harbors fully 25 percent of
the world’s disease. A minimum of 2.5 health
workers is needed for every 1,000 people,
according to standards set by the United Nations,
but only six African countries have this many.

The distrust of Western medical workers has had
direct consequences. Since 2003, for example,
polio has been on the rise in Nigeria, Chad and
Burkina Faso because many people avoid
vaccinations, believing that the vaccines are
contaminated with H.I.V. or are actually
sterilization agents in disguise. This would
sound incredible were it not that scientists
working for Dr. Basson’s Project Coast reported
that one of their chief goals was to find ways to
selectively and secretly sterilize Africans.

Such tragedies highlight the challenges facing
even the most idealistic medical workers, who can
find themselves working under unhygienic
conditions that threaten patients’ welfare.
Well-meaning Western caregivers must sometimes
use incompletely cleaned or unsterilized needles,
simply because nothing else is available. These
needles can and do spread infectious agents like
H.I.V. — proving that Western medical practices
need not be intentional to be deadly.

Although the World Health Organization maintains
that the reuse of syringes without sterilization
accounts for only 2.5 percent of new H.I.V.
infections in Africa, a 2003 study in The
International Journal of S.T.D. and AIDS found
that as many as 40 percent of H.I.V. infections
in Africa are caused by contaminated needles
during medical treatment. Even the conservative
W.H.O. estimate translates to tens of thousands of cases.

Several esteemed science journals, including
Nature, have suggested that the Libyan children
were infected in just this manner, through the
re-use of incompletely cleaned medical
instruments, long before the Bulgarian nurses
arrived in Libya. If this is the case, then the
Libyan accusations of iatrogenic, or
healer-transmitted, infection are true. The acts
may not have been intentional, but given the
history of Western medicine in Africa,
accusations that they were done consciously are far from paranoid.

Certainly, the vast majority of beneficent
Western medical workers in Africa are to be
thanked, not censured. But the canon of “silence
equals death” applies here: We are ignoring a
responsibility to defend the mass of innocent
Western doctors against the belief that they are
not treating disease, but intentionally spreading
it. We should approach Africans’ suspicions with
respect, realizing that they are born of the acts
of a few monsters and of the deadly constraints
on medical care in difficult conditions. By
continuing to dismiss their reasonable fears, we
raise the risk of even more needless illness and death.

Harriet A. Washington is the author of “Medical
Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical
Experimentation on Black Americans From Colonial Times to the Present.”