[News] Haitian grassroots activist So An in Oakland March 10

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Feb 27 17:14:53 EST 2007

March 10, 2007, A Celebration of Resistance: Bay Area welcomes
Haitian grassroots activist "So An"

"I send you all my blessings as a free Haitian woman fighting for the
rights of the impoverished majority in my homeland. They may imprison
my body but they will never imprison the truth I know in my soul. I
will continue to fight for justice and truth in Haiti until I draw my
last breath." - Annette Auguste, Petionville Penitentiary,
Port-au-Prince, Haiti, May 23, 2004

Six months ago, grassroots activist and singer Annette Auguste, known
as 'So An,' won her release from a Haitian jail over two years after
her violent arrest by US Marines on Mother's Day, 2004 during Haiti's
US-backed coup d'etat.Weekly grassroots mobilizations in Haiti called
for her freedom and her courageous resistance won widespread
international support. Since her release, So An has fought tirelessly
for the release of hundreds of Haiti's other political prisoners, to
denounce ongoing UN military ssaults on Haitian popular neighborhoods
and to sustain her community in resistance to the ongoing US/UN
occupation. Join Haiti Action Committee in welcoming this courageous
Haitian leader to the Bay Area!

An evening celebrating resistance, solidarity and song with:

Pierre Labossiere, Haiti Action Committee

Annette Auguste ['So An'], Haitian activist, former political
prisoner and musician

MUSIC by Vukani Mawethu, Freedom Song Choir

DATE/TIME: Saturday, March 10th, 7PM

LOCATION: The Uptown, 401 Twenty Sixth Street, Oakland [Between
Telegraph and Broadway. Six blocks north of 19th Street BART]

DONATION: $5-50 no one turned away for lack of funds    For more
information, (510) 483-7481

SAVE THE DATE: March 14th, powerful new film by Kevin Pina at Grand
Lake Theatre -- "We Must Kill The Bandits."