[News] Fidel Castro - The Eternal Flame

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 1 12:17:15 EDT 2007

A REFLECTION BY THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF - THE ETERNAL FLAME

This is a political reflection. To be more
precise: it is another proclamation. Exactly one
year ago today, on July 31, 2006, I issued the
first proclamation. But the year gone by is worth
10, for I have had the opportunity to live a
unique experience which has afforded me
information and knowledge on vital questions
facing humanity, knowledge I have conveyed to the
people of Cuba with the utmost honesty.
Today, I am bombarded with questions as to when I
will take up again what some call power, as
though that power were possible without
independence. The world knows a real and
destructive power, wielded by a decadent empire which threatens everyone.
Raúl has already responded that, as I recover,
every important decision is consulted with me.
What will I do? I will fight tirelessly as I have done my entire life.
One year after the first Proclamation, I can
share with the people of Cuba the satisfaction of
seeing that what was then promised is reflected
by today’s unquestionable reality: Raúl, the
Party, the government, the National Assembly, the
Young Communists League and grassroots and social
organizations, headed by the workers, move
forward, guided by the unshakable principle of unity.
With the same conviction, we continue to struggle
relentlessly to have the Five Heroes, who
provided Cuba with information on the United
States’ anti-Cuban terrorist plans, released from cruel and merciless prison.
The struggle against our own deficiencies and
against the insolent enemy which seeks to take
possession of Cuba must be unrelenting.
On this point, I am obliged to insist on
something which the leaders of the Revolution can
never forget: it is our duty to work untiringly
to strengthen our defensive capability and
preparedness, under the principle that,
regardless of the circumstances, an unpayable
price must be paid for any invasion.
No one should entertain the slightest illusion
that the empire, which carries the genes of its
own destruction, will negotiate with Cuba. Though
we have said, again and again, that our struggle
is not against the people of the United Sates
­something which is absolutely true­ the latter
is not in a position to curtail the apocalyptic
impulses of its government or the foul and insane
call for what they label a "democratic Cuba", as
though leaders here put themselves forth and
elect themselves without having to pass through
that inflexible filter embodied by the
overwhelming majority of an educated and
cultivated people who must support them.
In a previous reflection, I invoked the
historical figures of Martí, Maceo, Agramonte and
Cespedes. To keep alight the memory of the
innumerable people who fell in combat, of those
who fought and sacrificed themselves for the
homeland, Raúl lit a flame that shall burn for
eternity, 50 years after Frank País, the young
22-year-old hero whose example moved all of us, fell in combat.
Life is meaningless without ideas. There is no
greater joy than to struggle in their name.

Fidel Castro Ruz
July 31, 2007
5:35 p.m.