[News] Haiti Update - July Trip Report

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 9 16:17:16 EDT 2007

Dear friends – this is an early brief report on
our trip to Haiti [July 23 – 30, 2007], from which we returned a week ago.

Best regards, Leslie - Haiti Action Committee http://www.haitiaction.net/

August 6, 2007

The experience of entering Haiti is amazing
because Haiti is so deeply an African country and
people. The first time I was there, three years
ago, I was astounded and impacted by the sights
and sounds of Haiti which are so resonant of
places I’ve traveled in West Africa: the market
women, the young girls riding donkeys in the
countryside, huge baskets on their heads, the
vigor of massive demonstrations - pounding
rhythmic feet, visions of Soweto. Everywhere in
the darkened poor city neighborhoods at night,
without electricity, in their cinderblock houses
stacked on top of each other rising up hillsides,
people sing, blast radio music, play instruments.

It is my privilege to have traveled my two trips
to Haiti with fiercely political African
Americans who have embraced Haiti as a cherished
symbol of liberation to African people
everywhere, as Akinyele said when greeting
Lavalas comrades. He said African people of Haiti
and America came on the same slave ships. He said
the same people who are killing and oppressing
Haiti’s people left African Americans to die by
the thousands in New Orleans after Katrina, and
now attempt to steal their land. Haiti’s
grassroots movement recognizes this powerful bond
among the two peoples. Everywhere we spoke about
the San Francisco 8 or about New Orleans, Lavalas
activists sent a message of solidarity.

It’s taking things out of context to try to talk
about what exists in Haiti now without
acknowledging what was achieved by Haiti’s
grassroots movement under Aristide. Because it
isn’t just that things are bad right now, but
that what is happening is a deliberate violent
attempt to reverse a truly democratic effort that
stood firmly for the poor majority. It is a
violent, brutal counter-insurgency, a counter-revolution.

For a brief moment, after decades of dictatorship
and a long history of resistance, Haitians
achieved the dream of social justice and
freedom.The poor had power. During that brief
period of time, there were no boat people leaving
Haiti. During that brief period of time, massive
projects were undertaken to support the poor. The
goal was to move Haiti’s people from misery to
poverty with dignity. Beautiful public parks were
built in poor neighborhoods; schools, health
clinics; micro-loans to market women; literacy
projects; etc. During that brief period of time,
poor street kids swam in the presidential pool.
During that brief period of time, Haitian legal
teams held Truth Commissions, took on the tonton
macoutes. Death squads who had terrorized,
tortured and killed thousands, were prosecuted and imprisoned.

This is why Aristide is so revered in Haiti. As
one Lavalas activist put it, Aristide never gave
up, stood up to the western powers, and fought
for those who cannot speak. He is a symbol of hope and democracy for Haitians.

What we found in Haiti now are activists
struggling everywhere to resist the renewed
assaults on Haiti’s poor, to move in a period
once again dominated by foreign guns, foreign
economic clout, and terrorism. Twenty-five
thousand march on Aristide’s birthday; a
transport workers’ strike blocks roads and shuts
down traffic throughout the country. Fifty
grassroots activists, the elderly women in
dresses and straw hats, mark the 92nd anniversary
of the 1915 US invasion in a spirited protest at
UN headquarters. We are there to see the dozens
of heavily armed UN troops aligned against them,
insignia marking their countries of origin – Sri
Lanka, Jordan, Philippines, France, Bolivia, and
among the unmarked westerners, surely americans.
The Haitians are undeterred – chanting, yelling,
dancing, singing, photo displays of UN and other coup victims prominent.

Why must the poor be shot down by UN troops in
Cite Soleil? Why are the market women beaten,
even killed, by petty bureaucrats and police
thugs to drive them off the streets, why burn the
markets and deprive them of their meagre income?
Why must armed thugs storm into a school of poor
children, headed by Lavalas activists, breaking
the blackboards, desks – the few artifacts needed
to teach those who could not afford $100/mo to go
to school? Why must their teacher be beaten? Why
must prisons be filled with those who fight for
democracy, starving on diets of foreign white
rice, deprived of clean water to drink, sleeping
in shifts in stifling cells built for 20 housing
80? Why must life be nearly impossible –
transport workers up against heavy fees and
costs, telephone workers laid off? Why?

Because Haitians are a deeply political people;
they have tasted democracy; they insist on their
human rights. Western powers cannot enforce their
elite, global agenda on Haiti unless they can
contain this massive popular movement and destroy its righteous vision.

Here is what Randall Robinson says in his new
book [Haiti, from Revolution to the Kidnapping of  President]:

“What was it, though, about Haiti that made the
place so different from other Caribbean places,
so especially combustible? What property, what
special character did it have that would incite
the rich white West to engage a poor, largely
black nation with such glowering, unrelenting
hostility
The Haitians knew their history. The
Haitian peasants may have had few material
possessions to speak of, but they knew what their
slave ancestors had done to the French, to the
English and to the Spanish. They also knew what
they had done to liberate all of Latin America,
as well as themselves. No matter how poor they
were, the Haitians knew these things about
themselves, things that made them special to
themselves, that made them resilient and
independent, that gave them great art, that
unsettled, even now, those nations the peasants’
slave ancestors had once soundly thrashed.”**

U.S. “low-intensity” warfare is so termed not
because it is mild, but because it comes under
the radar of the American people, as does most
anything having to do with Haiti. What did the
U.N. come to do in Haiti? As one Lavalas activist
put it, they came to make the country go
backwards. They spend $500 million a year to
maintain the U.N. troops in Haiti – money that
could provide water, schools, health care for
Haiti but instead the U.N. does nothing for Haiti.

What do the people want from us? They want our
solidarity. They want us to expose and mobilize
people against what is happening in Haiti. They
want us to demand the UN mandate in Haiti not be
renewed; to support the return of Aristide to
Haiti; to insist on freedom for Haiti’s political prisoners.

** See Democracy Now, Amy Goodman, July 23rd for
more from Randall Robinson and the July 15th
Haiti demonstration in honor of Aristide’s
birthday at
<http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/23/141241&mode=thread&tid=25>http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/23/141241&mode=thread&tid=25