[News] Detroit 1967: Riot or Rebellion?

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Apr 6 11:20:57 EDT 2007

From: Grace Boggs <glbg at sbcglobal.net>

LIVING FOR CHANGE
Detroit 1967: Riot or Rebellion?
By Grace Lee Boggs
Michigan  Citizen, April 8-14, 2007

What should we call those tumultuous days  in the
summer of 1967 which began  on July 20 with
a  raid by Detroit police on a “blind pig” at
Clairmont and 12th St. (now Rosa Parks
Blvd.)  and ended a week later, with more than
1,000 buildings burned to the ground, 7000
arrests,  43  people killed and 1189
wounded,  mostly shot by police and National
Guardsmen for alleged looting, sniping, and curfew violations?

As we approach the 40th  anniversary of that
watershed week,  everyone who cares about the
future of Detroit and other American cities needs
to wrestle with this question.

It is not only a matter of terminology.  What we
call that week in July  reflects how willing we
are to accept the challenge to build a Detroit
which is safe and sustainable because it is
founded on the conviction that human values of
justice and community are more important than  material and  economic growth.

When hundreds of Detroiters  on that
steamy  Saturday night confronted  the
police  with  violence rather than compliance,
the police, understandably,  viewed them as lawbreakers, rioters.

On the other hand, for most black Detroiters, and
for everyone caring about  justice,  there was
something righteous in the response of the
crowd.  It was a protest  against  the
overwhelmingly white police force that, like an
occupation army, had been routinely stopping
blacks just walking down the street.  It was a
standing up against the injustice that few if any
black faces were among those running the city,
although blacks were becoming a majority as
whites fled to the suburbs.  It was a plea by
black youth  not to be turned into outsiders by
HiTech, to be recognized, not criminalized. So,
for most Detroiters,  it was an uprising, a “rebellion.”

But the media didn’t ask the people what they
thought.  Getting its views from the police,
it  labeled the confrontation a “riot”  - and has
continued to do so, despite the fact that the
Kerner Commission, created by President Johnson
to analyze the roots of  urban unrest, criticized
the media for its failure “to report adequately
on the causes and consequences of civil disorders
and the underlying problems of race relations.”

The rebellion in Detroit was one of more than a
hundred urban explosions, beginning with  the
1965 Watts uprising,  in which inner city youth
not only demonstrated  their anger against racism
but demanded that society stop viewing them only
as cogs, to be used and disused, employed and
unemployed according to the needs of the economic system.

The rebellions brought blacks to political power
in many cities and state legislatures because
they warned the Establishment that white
political power could no longer maintain law and order.

However, for the last 40 years, these blacks,
enjoying political power and
upward  mobility,  have been unwilling or unable
to address the fears of inner city youth that an
increasingly technological and global economy has made them expendable.

Hence school dropouts, a drug economy, crime and
incarceration have escalated, driving millions,
including blacks, to the suburbs – but also
challenging everyone who cares about the city and
these young people to create another Detroit that
includes a productive role for them.

To meet this challenge, as Jimmy and I pointed
out in Revolution and Evolution in the 20th
Century (Monthly Review Press, 1974) requires
going beyond Rebellion (or
protest)  to  Revolution or accepting our
responsibility for creating a more just and more caring society.

Although we didn’t know it at the time,  Martin
Luther King Jr., having taken seriously the cries
of black ghetto youth,  had reached a
similar  conclusion.  We need a radical
revolution of values, he said, not only against
racism but against materialism and militarism.
Instead of pursuing economic growth which robs
people of participation, we need to expand our
uniquely human capacity to care for one
another.  In “our dying cities” we need direct
action projects that  enable our young people to
transform themselves and their environment at the same time.