[News] Woodlands Anti-Eviction Campaign - Forward Everywhere!

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Nov 21 18:56:42 EST 2006

From: Soleil <soleilfire at yahoo.com>
Date: November 21, 2006 5:58:41 AM PST
To: commongroundrelief at googlegroups.com
Subject: [commongroundrelief] Woodlands
Anti-Eviction Campaign - Forward Everywhere!

Friends, Allies and Supporters:

SPREAD THIS NEWS AS QUICKLY AND WIDELY AS POSSIBLE!
LETTER AND PHONE CAMPAIGN INFO

The time has come when your action could mean the
difference between justice and injustice, home
for the holidays or homeless in the cold. In the
next few days over 100 families are facing
eviction from their affordable apartments at the
Woodlands. Right now your support, and your
action, could provide the impetus they need to win their fight.

As you may know, Common Ground has been managing
the Woodlands apartment complex for the past five
months, with the intent to purchase the property
to create cooperative housing, small business
cooperatives, social programs and human services
offices, all while keeping the lowest rents in
the city. During this time CG rehabilitated over
100 units, and formalized rental relationships
with signed leases. Through a series of bad faith
dealings the former owner, Anthony Reginelli,
sold the property to the Johnson Property Group,
LLC. Now both are working together to evict the
tenants just in time for the holidays.

The tenants are organized and ready to fight.
They are planning a host of strategies, from
press conferences to direct actions, from formal
mediation to court cases. But they need your
voice. They need your faxes, calls emails in
support, calling for the new owners to do the
right thing and work with the tenants to find a mutually beneficial solution.

The next pages contain sample letters detailing
the tenants needs and demands, and following
those is a contact list. There are two versions
of the letter, one for the Johnson Property
Group, LLC itself, and another for their business
associates. Feel free to use the sample letter,
or create your own based on it. If you have
business or organization letterhead, that may add
extra weight. The crucial aspect is that the
residents need your assistance RIGHT NOW.

This can be an extremely effective public
pressure campaign, because the new owners have a
very good name in human services in Baton Rouge
and throughout Louisiana. The Managing Manager
for the Group is Soundra Temple-Johnson, who,
along with Collis Temple, Jr. and family, own and
operate Louisiana Health and Rehabilitation
Options as well as the Harmony Center, Inc., both
of which offer extensive social services for
those in need. They have a conscience, at least a
public one, which can be effectively prodded by
your letters, and by the opinions of their business associates.

Please take a little time out of your
Thanksgiving preparations to send or hand deliver
these letters to as many of the contacts as
possible. Because of the holiday we must act
right now to be effective. If you live near one
of these locations, hand-deliver the letter. If
you are able, mount a small (or large!)
demonstration at their address, as the tenants
will be doing in Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

You will hear more from us, as we hold press
conferences and demonstrations, and we will keep
you updatedwith our progress. We’d also love to
hear from you about your involvement
at:nolaevictiondefense at gmail.com You could cc: us
when you email out the letter, and send us a note
about faxes, hand-deliveries and demonstrations –
or any other great ideas you put into action!

Please act now, before Thanksgiving, so the one
hundred families and children of the Woodlands
can have something to be thankful for this holiday season.