[News] Freedom Archives enters 7th year

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 15 12:56:04 EST 2006

For those of you that we know only through our
email lists, we encourage you to support our
work. We don't have the large capacity to fund
raise on the web like other sites. Nonetheless,
we hope that our grassroots work is just as
informative and valuable to you. You can
contribute by sending us a tax-deductible
contribution to the address below and if you want
to receive periodic hard copy mailings from us,
please email us your name and contact information as well. Thanks in advance!

claude marks

  November 2006

Dear Friend:

Congratulations!

The Freedom Archives is now entering its seventh
year thanks to your consistent support. We’ve
completed our first year as our own 501(c)(3) and
have much to show for our efforts. As we
celebrate this first year we face the challenges
of finding new ways to be effective and maintain
our funding base in a repressive era of
increasing fiscal conservatism among foundation funders.

We are excited about the upcoming year and look
forward to expanding the work of The Freedom
Archives and finding more ways to share our
resources and energies. We continue to count on your generosity.

Thanks to your support:

    * We were able to provide more than 25 youth
interns from the San Francisco Bay Area with
radio production, editing, and archiving skills.
These are young people who will make a difference
in telling the stories of struggle, change, and victory.
    * We have completed the research and
production towards the early 2007 release of our
audio CD “The Artist Must Choose” which
chronicles the politics and resistance of Paul
Robeson in his own spoken words. You will hear
Robeson brilliantly resist the House Un-American
Activities Committee (HUAC). He speaks of the
fight against racism and the role of artists in
struggling for a just and humane world. In “The
Artist Must Choose,” we capture his eloquence and
inspiring ideas so that many who know little
about him can learn from his courageous example.
    * We have just completed a new documentary
video called “The Legacy of
Torture.”
http://www.freedomarchives.org/BPP/torture.html
This 20-minute video exposes the United States
government use of torture against former members
of the Black Panther Party in New Orleans in 1973
and connects them to the history of COINTELPRO
and the use of Grand Juries to repress and censor
activists.At a recent standing room only event in
Oakland – “Break the Chains: Black Panther
Prisoners and Repression Today” – we showed a
working copy of the video.  The event also
featured a community discussion with speakers
Kathleen Cleaver, Ashanti Alston, Hank Jones, and
Richard Brown (all former Panthers).
    * We continue to collaborate with community
organizations and institutions dedicated to
change, community building, and activism. During
the last year we worked with Eastside Arts
Alliance, Galería de la Raza, Global Exchange,
International Day of Solidarity with Political
Prisoners, the June Jordan School for Equity,
Manilatown Heritage Foundation, National Boricua
Human Rights Network, Women of Color Resource
Center, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, and the Youth Leadership Institute.
    * The Freedom Archives contributed to radio
programs on KPFA’s Africa Today, Art Sato’s “In
Your Ear,” Hard Knock Radio, and La Raza
Chronicles, including interviews with political
prisoners Adolfo Matos and Carlos Alberto Torres.
We contributed to newspaper coverage of the Black
Panther Party grand jury resisters in the San
Francisco Bayview and Faultlines, as well as at www.fbiwitchhunt.com.

Most importantly, your support has allowed The
Freedom Archives to stay true to its mission. We
have built a national reputation for our work in
restoring and archiving materials­all with your
help­and we can do so much more.

We need your continued generosity and commitment
to carry out this crucial work. In order to match
last year’s donations and strengthen the youth
program, we need to raise $20,000 by the end of
the year. Please consider increasing your
donation to $100, $250, or $500 so we can
increase the number of interns we train, keep our
technology up to date, and increase the ways that
people can access and use this valuable always-growing archive.

Like what you hear? Make sure to tell a friend
about The Freedom Archives so that our community
of support can grow. Recycle this letter by
passing it on to a friend with a special
invitation to join you in supporting this work. Thank you!

¡A Luta Continua!

Claude
Marks                                    Sele
Nadel-Hayes                            Walter Turner

P.S.  For donations of $250 or more, you will be
the first to receive a copy of the new Paul
Robeson CD featuring over an hour of Robeson’s fiery speeches and interviews.