[News] The War of the Flea...Oaxaca

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Nov 3 12:03:10 EST 2006

|The War of the Flea...Oaxaca |

Autor(a): Michael McCaughan Fecha: 1:15am Viernes
03 Noviembre 2006 Categoría: Notícias Generales / General News

900 words on the day in which the federales were
prevented from entering the University and ultimately retreated .....

<http://chiapas.indymedia.org/print.php3?article_id=137915>imprimir
artículo / print
article<http://chiapas.indymedia.org//display.php3?article_id=137915&unwrap=true>autojustificar
texto

Life during wartime.. Oaxaca City under siege.

by Michael McCaughan

“be careful my friend, people die all the time.’
came the warning from a passerby outside Oaxaca
university this afternoon. In his shorts and
t-shirt he strolled off in the opposite
direction, looking like he was going to the beach.

In the meantime hundreds of people swarmed
through side streets close to the University to
challenge the Federal police as they fought
street by street to disperse supporters of the popular movement, APPO.

This was the war of the flea as protestors
outnumbered police by ten to one but were in turn
outgunned by the well-armed and trigger happy
troops. Several serious injuries have been
reported but so far today, no fatalities.

The battle was uneven to the point of suicidal. And yet the people won.

Radio Universidad, the voice of the People’s
Popular Assembly (APPO) sounded the warning early
this morning; the federal police were arriving in
force to clear barricades outside the university
and possibly gain entrance. At stake was the
radio station which has coordinated resistance
activities around the city and operated as an
open Mike for anyone wishing to give testimony of
the speedily unraveling events.

For six hours several thousand youths, an even
mix between the sexes, fought a brave battle that
recalled similar confrontations all over Latin
America. Oaxaca is Cochabamba, Atenco and all the
corners of the continent where citizen movements
challenge military/business hegemony.

The federales wore protective masks and carried
guns, sticks and shields. The equipment was
purchased in 1994 after the Zapatista rebellion
ignited unrest around the country. Above the
soldiers two helicopters hovered over rebel
barricades and lobbed tear gas grenades at the people below.

At one point a helicopter pilot recognized APPO
spokesman Flavio Sosa, dropped swiftly to within
20 metres of him and tossed pepper spray
canisters at his feet. ‘This is a sign of their
desperation’ he said, ‘we will not be beaten.’

The people were armed as follows; tyres, stones,
sticks, metal bars, ‘lanzacohetes’ (firework
launchers) shopping trolleys, pallets and debris
of all kind. More significantly perhaps, they
were armed with their truth; the illegal
militarized police occupation of Oaxaca must end
before meaningful dialogue can begin.

For now the task was to prevent the troops from
clearing roads leading to the University, the
last fixed bastion of the popular uprising.

A young law student guided me through the streets
but before long we were trapped by lines of
troops who launched stinging pepper spray
grenades and, according to more experienced
observers, an occasional bullet. One youth lost
an eye while a journalist with ‘El Universal’ was
hospitalized after a gas canister hit him in the
chest. As we reeled from the pepper spray, doors
opened as if by magic, all along the street.

Buckets of water appeared and women invited us to
take refuge inside their homes. ‘dogs’ said Ana
Rosa Poblano, ‘they treat us worse than dogs.’
She gave me a taco of mole sauce, handed me a rag
soaked in vinegar, took a quick look up and down
the street and wished me luck.

As soon as the troops moved to clear another
corner, dozens of youths appeared out of nowhere
and placed fresh barricades behind them. ‘Prepare
to die’ shouted one woman, who barely reached my
shoulder in height but stood far taller in terms
of bravery. ‘Put down your shields and take off
your helmets and I’ll beat the living shit out of you’ she added.

The express barricade was erected with precision;
first came the metal girders, stripped from
nearby street lamps. They were covered by pallets
and then tyres, and when the police appeared, the
rebels set the roadblock on fire, sending a
noxious cloud of black smoke into the sky. A
couple of streets away, on the other side of the
police, a similar process occurred.

The battle continued for hours, as police
advanced two blocks, then retreated one, all the
time harassed by stone throwers in nearby rooftops.

After several hours of cat and mouse antics we
found our way into the University and took refuge
outside the radio station, which broadcasts a
constant stream of commentary and warnings of
fresh police maneuvers. The area outside the
station is sandbagged while a wall of red bricks
offers a second obstacle to potential intruders.
One group of students lie in the shade of a tree,
catching up on sleep after a 16-hour security
shift. Helicopters are observing from overhead
while students boil vats of oil as a desperate
countermeasure to thwart an anticipated invasion of this autonomous space.

The conservative University rector has sought
assurances that the campus will not be occupied
but government anger grows as each day passes and
the popular movement gathers renewed strength.

At a late night meeting in the Archbishop’s
residence, (wednesday) state officials invited
APPO leaders to begin dialogue. The events of
today however, speak a language of a different
kind. The call has gone out for a mega march this
Sunday to surround the federales in the Zocalo
and perhaps, who knows, to retake the square.

By 3pm today the crossroads outside the
University looked like Managua, Nicaragua on July
19th 1979. Thousands of citizens streamed toward
the victory point, waving flags, singing rebel songs.

The final tally was a dozen people injured and a
fresh injection of hope that peaceful but
determined resistance can outwit and outwait the
occupying forces of the state.

Ends.