[News] Sa'adat Rejects Israeli Interrogation as Illegal

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Fri Mar 17 20:47:08 EST 2006

Sa'adat Rejects Israeli Interrogation as Illegal,
Israeli Government Violated Agreement by
Kidnapping and Re-Trying Palestinian Prisoners
http://www.aljazeerah.info/News%20archives/2006%20News%20Archives/March/17%20n/Sa'adat%20Rejects%20Israeli%20Interrogation%20as%20Illegal,%20Israeli%20Government%20Violated%20Agreement%20by%20Kidnapping%20and%20Re-Trying%20Palestinian%20Prisoners.htm
Sa'adat Denies Involvement in Killing of Israeli Minister

Arab News, Agencies

RAMALLAH, 17 March 2006 ­

A Palestinian leader seized by Israeli occupation
forces in a raid on the Jericho, where he was
imprisoned in the West Bank jail, denied any
responsibility for his group’s 2001 assassination
of an Israeli Cabinet Minister, his lawyer said yesterday.

“I reject the accusations,” Ahmed Sa'adat was
quoted as saying by his attorney, who met the
Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
(PFLP) chief at an Israeli detention center in Jerusalem.

Four members of a PFLP cell convicted by a
Palestinian court in 2002 of carrying out the
assassination were also seized by Israeli troops
at the jail after a daylong siege.

Sa'adat was jailed by the Palestinian Authority
in connection with the assassination but was never convicted of the charge.

At a news conference Sa'adat’s attorney, Mahmoud
Hassan, relayed defiant comments he said his
client made to Israeli interrogators.

“I told the interrogators I do not recognize any
interrogation,” Hassan quoted Sa'adat, 51, as
saying. “This is illegal. I rejected my presence
in their jails as illegal.” Chief Palestinian
negotiator Sa'eb Erekat told a separate news
conference he had asked the United States and
Britain to press Israel to hand “the abducted
men” back to the Palestinian Authority
immediately rather than put them in trial.

Under a 1995 interim peace deal, Israel cannot
re-try Palestinians if they have already been
tried by a Palestinian court for the same offense, he said.

Israeli forces besieged the Jericho prison, where
Sa'adat had been held since 2002 under an
international agreement, to bring him to Israel
for a re-trial after Palestinian President
Mahmoud Abbas said he was prepared to free him.

The troops moved in minutes after US and British
monitors supervising Sa'adat’s incarceration left
the jail. The United States and Britain said they
had told Abbas a week ago the monitors could be withdrawn immediately.

Abbas described the Israeli operation as a crime that would not be forgiven.

US Consul-General Jacob Walles met Abbas
yesterday and told reporters: “We explained the
reasons why we removed the monitors, which was
because of our concerns about their security, and
he expressed his concerns of the event.”

The monitors were stationed at the jail under an
arrangement that ended a 2002 Israeli siege of
the late Palestinian President Yassir Arafat’s
compound in the West Bank city of Ramallah, where
Sa'adat and the other PFLP men were taking refuge.

Around 61 Palestinians remain in Israeli custody
following a massive army raid on a prison in the
West Bank town of Jericho, Palestinian Interior
Minister Nasr Yussuf said yesterday.

“Sixty-one prisoners are in Israeli hands,” the
minister told reporters as he toured the site of
the destroyed prison compound in Jericho. “We
call on Israel to release all the prisoners.”

A punch-up broke out during Yussuf’s visit after
PFLP members called for the minister’s
resignation over Saadat’s capture and exchanged
blows with Palestinian police officers, a reporter said.

Meanwhile, Palestinian gunmen killed an Israeli
soldier taking part in a West Bank operation
yesterday in which five wanted men were detained, the Israeli army said.

Elsewhere in the occupied territory, gunmen shot
and wounded two Israeli motorists near an illegal Israeli settlement.

Israeli soldiers and Palestinian fighters battled
for more than an hour at a building the troops
surrounded in the West Bank city of Jenin.

“One of the men emerged running from the building
and an exchange of fire immediately erupted
between the forces and the gunmen during which
one of the soldiers was killed,” the army said in a statement.