[News] The CIA's 'Black Sites'

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 2 08:55:44 EST 2006

The CIA's 'Black Sites'
What are we going to do with the secret prisoners
who cannot be tried in our courts?
by Nat Hentoff
February 24th, 2006 4:29 PM
http://villagevoice.com/generic/show_print.php?id=72320&page=hentoff&issue=0609&printcde=MzQyMzkyMDE5MA==&refpage=L25ld3MvaW5kZXgucGhwP2lzc3VlPTA2MDkmcGFnZT1oZW50b2ZmJmlkPTcyMzIw

The CIA's top counterterrorism official [Robert
Grenier] was fired last week because he opposed
detaining Al Qaeda suspects in secret prisons
abroad, sending them to other countries for
interrogation, and using forms of torture such as
"waterboarding," [making a prisoner believe he is
about to be drowned] intelligence sources have
claimed. The Sunday Times, London, February 12

For more than three years, I've been reporting on
what has been increasingly, but fragmentarily,
revealed about secret CIA prisons around the
world. On September 17, 2001, the president, in a
classified order, gave the CIA these "special
powers" (as Attorney General Alberto Gonzales
agreed during his confirmation hearings).

These "black sites"­as they are called in CIA,
White House, and Justice Department files­
escaped attempted congressional oversight until
December 2005. But in the National Defense
Authorization Act, the Senate finally called for
regular reports on where those prisons are, what
plans there are for the ultimate release of their
prisoners, and "a description of the
interrogation procedures used." Ted Kennedy and
John Kerry introduced the resolution.

A similar December requirement was passed by the
House (226 to 187) in a nonbinding resolution to
urge the House and Senate negotiators to shine a
shaft of sunlight on these "dark sites" in the
final National Defense Authorization Act for
2006. But secretly, both the Senate and House
resolutions were killed by the conference committee.

This February, Human Rights Watch, the ACLU,
Human Rights First, and Amnesty International
urged the House International Relations Committee
to support three new resolutions of inquiry into
American use of torture, citing the fact that
"there is still a strong perception in many parts
of the world that the United States continues to
facilitate or willfully ignore torture by
rendering individuals to countries where they are
likely to be tortured, and by holding detainees
in secret locations closed to the International
Committee of the Red Cross." (Emphasis added.)

But on February 10, in a party line vote, the
House International Relations Committee defeated all three resolutions.

There has been hardly any notice in the press or
anywhere else about these congressional setbacks
as part of the Bush administration's continued
success in suppressing news of what actually goes
on in those "black sites" in the name of the United States and its citizens.

As I have noted in previous columns, there has
been a debate for more than two years inside the
CIA about the legality of these secret prisons
and how to eventually dispose of the prisoners.
They cannot be tried in American courts because
they have been wholly denied due process under
our constitution and so are wrongfully held.

Two years ago, FBI veteran Jack Cloonan, who had
been the senior agent on the FBI's bin Laden
squad in New York and later was in charge of
investigating Al Qaeda master planner Khalid
Shaikh Mohammed (now in some CIA "black site"), asked on ABC's Nightline:

"What are we going to do with these people [in
the CIA secret cells]? . . . Are they going to
disappear? Are they stateless? . . . What are we
going to explain to people when they start asking
questions about where they are? Are they dead?
Are they alive? What oversight does Congress have?"

The present answer to Jack Cloonan's last
question is this: There is no congressional
oversight. Congress has been blocked­by its
Republican leadership, the president, Donald
Rumsfeld, and CIA chief Porter Goss­from having
any oversight at all. The constitutional
separation of powers has also fallen into a black hole.

There is, however, a quick look into one of those
secret prisons in a December 19, 2005, Human
Rights Watch report, "U.S. Operated Secret 'Dark Prison' in Kabul."

Eight "detainees" now being held at Guantánamo,
another extralegal U.S. prison, have told their
attorneys what it was like when they were
individually held, at various times between 2002
and 2004, in a secret U.S. facility for more than
six weeks before being transferred to Guantánamo.
That secret prison was apparently closed after
the transfer. This is their story, as told in the HRW report:

"The detainees, who called the facility the 'dark
prison' or 'prison of darkness,' said they were.
. . shackled to rings bolted into the walls of
their cells, deprived of food and drinking water.
. . for days at a time . . . and kept in total
darkness with load rap, heavy-metal music, or
other sounds blaring for weeks at a time. . . .
Some detainees said they were shackled in a
manner that made it impossible for them to lie down or sleep."

One of the prisoners added that he was put in "an
underground place," and "during the
interrogations, he says, an interrogator threatened him with rape."

Ethiopia-born Benyam Mohammed, who grew up in
Britain, told his attorney, in English, "[At one
point] I was chained to the rails [of my cell]
for a fortnight. . . . The CIA worked on people,
including me, day and night. . . . Plenty lost
their minds. I could hear people knocking their
heads against the walls and the doors, screaming their heads off."

Bush, Rumsfeld, Gonzales, et al. regularly
intone, in chorus, that the U.S. does not torture
and always acts within the law. But if the
fearful facts in the darkness in those CIA
prisons are ever documented by an independent
prosecutor in a future administration, it will
finally be proved that, as Human Rights Watch
emphasizes, the CIA is responsible­along with the
president who gave it "special powers"­for
"serious violations of U.S. criminal law, such as
the War Crimes Act and the Anti-Torture Statute.
. . . The mistreatment of detainees also violates
the [International] Convention Against Torture
and the International Covenant on Civil and
Political Rights, both of which the United States
has ratified, and the laws of war."

There is a rising focus around the country on
this year's midterm elections. During the
campaigning, will there be any mention of the
screams in the CIA's underground prisons of
darkness? And if there is, how many Americans
will care enough to be repelled by their own
silent, passive complicity in the growing moral
darkness of this nation's leadership?