[News] Bureau of Prisons Disciplines Officers from Metropolitan Detention Center Three Years Later

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 23 12:46:24 EST 2006

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:     Jen Nessel, 212.614.6449

                         David Lerner, Riptide
Communications, Inc., 212.260.5000

FOUR MEN DEPORTED AFTER 9/11 RETURN TO NEW YORK
TO PURSUE SUIT AGAINST U.S. GOVERNMENT FOR ABUSE

Bureau of Prisons Disciplines Officers from
Metropolitan Detention Center Three Years Later
January 23, 2006, New York, NY – The unusual
depositions of four men suing the U.S. government
for unlawful imprisonment and abuse in the wake
of the September 11 attacks began this morning,
according to their attorneys at the Center for
Constitutional Rights.  CCR’s class action,
Turkmen v. Ashcroft, was filed in September 2002
to challenge the arbitrary detention and
mistreatment of immigration detainees by prison
guards and high level Bush Administration
officials.  With no evidence of any connection to
terrorism, hundreds of Arab and South Asian
Muslim men were rounded up on the basis of racial
and religious profiling and subject to unlawful
detention and abuse at the Metropolitan Detention
Center in Brooklyn, NY.  All of the men were
eventually deported, but after long and
complicated negotiations, four of the plaintiffs
have returned under strict conditions to
participate in their case against the government.
The depositions will take place over the next two
weeks in New York City.  Further depositions of
both plaintiffs and defendants will take place in the coming months.

In the Turkmen suit, CCR challenges the
unconstitutional detention of non-citizens
arrested on civil immigration charges but held
for investigation into potential ties to
terrorism long after their immigration issues
were resolved and until they could be cleared of
any connection to terrorism.  The suit describes
the inhumane and degrading treatment they
suffered, including solitary confinement, a
complete blackout on communication with their
families and attorneys, excessive strip searches,
severe beatings by guards, incessant verbal
abuse, and deliberate interference with their religious practices.

The four men, Yasser Ebrahim, Asif-ur-Rehman
Saffi, Hany Ibrahim and Ashraf Ibrahim, will be
barred from speaking to anyone outside of the
case while they are here, including family
members and friends in the U.S and the content of
their .  They will be deposed by attorneys from
the Department of Justice, and attorneys for the
individual defendants named in the suit.

Despite the fact that the allegations of inhumane
and degrading treatment have been substantiated
by two reports of the Justice Department’s Office
of the Inspector General, discipline has been
slow in coming from the Federal Bureau of
Prisons.  Department of Justice Inspector General
Glenn Fine, testifying before Congress in June
2005, criticized the long delay and urged
expeditious and appropriate action in
disciplining at least 10 of those
responsible.  Today, the Center for
Constitutional Rights welcomed news that
disciplinary actions had finally been taken by
the Bureau of Prisons:  so far, in December 2005
and January 2006, five men from the Metropolitan
Detention Center (MDC) have been disciplined for
their role in the abuse:   two were terminated,
two were suspended for 30 days, and one was
demoted.  More actions may be pending.

CCR Legal Director Bill Goodman said, “Our
clients have returned to the U.S. to fight for
justice.  They were deprived of their rights and
abused simply because of their ethnicity and
religion, and we at the Center for Constitutional
Rights are determined to challenge the unlawful
actions of those responsible.  Former Attorney
General Ashcroft and FBI Director Robert Mueller
were among the architects of the plan to deprive
these individuals of their rights, and we plan to
hold them accountable in this lawsuit.”

CCR attorney Rachel Meeropol said, “To our
knowledge, there has never before been a case
where immigrants who had been deported were
allowed to return to the country to participate
in a lawsuit, and we look forward to using their
time here to strengthen our case against defendants.”

“While the three-year delay in taking
disciplinary action remains a major concern, we
commend the Bureau of Prisons for finally
disciplining some of the guards who participated
in this outrageous abuse,” said CCR attorney
Matthew Strugar. “It means a lot to our clients
that finally someone is being held accountable
for the brutality they experienced, but we
believe the responsibility for these abuses goes
further up the chain of command at the Bureau of
Prisons and we are disappointed more individuals
have not yet been held accountable.  ”