[News] Jose Maria Sison on Philippine repression

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Tue Feb 28 12:35:34 EST 2006

Press Statement

COMPOSITION OF LIST OF PEOPLE TARGETED FOR ARREST
EXPOSES THE FALSITY OF THE  COUP ALLEGATION
AND THE VILE OBJECTIVE OF THE ARROYO REGIME

By Prof. Jose Maria Sison
Chief Political Consultant
National Democratic Front of the Philippines

I have read the excellent report of Sheila Coronel, titled
"Government crackdown intensifies, appearing in the February 27, 2006
issue of Inside PCIJ (Philippine Center of Investigative
Journalism).  The findings of the report can help to expose the
falsity of the coup allegation and the vile objective of the Arroyo regime.

The report carries the list of 59 persons submitted to the Justice
Department by Directorate for Investigation and Detective Management
of the Philippine National Police.  The listed persons are described
as "guilty of rebellion and insurrection committed on February 24,
2006", the day Gloria M. Arroyo announced that she had preempted an
attempted coup and issued Proclamation 1017 to declare a state of
national emergency.

I have the honor of being at the top of the entire list.  But the
point is to analyze the composition of the list and to draw some
conclusions. The list includes 44 persons who are alleged communist
leaders and members, six members of Congress who belong to the party
list groups Bayan Muna, Gabriela Women's Party and Anakpawis (Toiling
Masses), three retired military officers who were leaders of the
Reform the Armed Forces Movement and three lieutenants.

We notice from the list the predominance of 50 civilians who are
known progressives and a small number of former military officers. We
also notice the absence of the names of Brig. General Danilo Lim of
the First Scout Ranger Regiment, Colonel Ariel Querubin of the First
Marine Brigade and Chief Supt. Marcelino Franco of the PNP Special
Action Force who were supposed to be key players in the alleged coup
attempt foiled by the loyalists of the Arroyo regime last Friday,
February 24.  Indeed, they should not be in the list just as those
already in the list should not be.

We have enough factual basis to state that the Arroyo regime
fabricated the so-called coup plot of communists and Rightist
officers, supposedly foiled last February 24 but still necessitating
Proclamation 1017.  The canard was used to  disperse the mass actions
celebrating Edsa 1, to attack mainly the patriotic and progressive
forces in the mass movement, intimidate the mass media and suppress
democratic rights in the long haul .

The overriding purpose of the regime is to start with Proclamation
1017  on the road of fascist dictatorship and state terrorism by way
of prolonging itself in power and ramming through charter change to
serve the interests of US imperialism and the worst of local
reactionary interests.###