[News] Politics of the Weather Underground (Ron Jacobs review of Outlaws of America)

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Thu Feb 23 12:38:04 EST 2006

http://www.counterpunch.org/jacobs02232006.html

February 23, 2006

The Politics of the Weather Underground

Volunteers of America

By RON JACOBS

In 1997 Verso published my history of the Weather Underground,
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859841678/counterpunchmaga>The
Way the Wind Blew: a History of the Weather Underground. Weather
Underground member Bill Ayers' memoir
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/0142002550/counterpunchmaga>Fugitive
Days, published by Beacon Press in 2001, followed. Two years later,
the film The Weather Underground, directed by Sam Green and Bill
Siegel, was released. The film probably received the greatest amount
of coverage in the mainstream media, although the unfortunate timing
of Weather Underground member Bill Ayers' memoir (September 11, 2001)
certainly provided his book with its own share, most of it negative.

There have also been novels written where the WUO figured prominently
(most notably
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BTH5H6/counterpunchmaga>The
Company You Keep by Neil Gordon Viking 2003), a pamphlet written by
political prisoner David Gilbert (SDS/WUO, Students For A Democratic
Society And The Weather Underground Organization, Arm the Spirit
2002) and the comparative study of the Weather Underground and the
German leftist armed organization, the Red Army Fraction, by Jeremy
Varon
(<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0520241193/counterpunchmaga>Bringing
the War Home: The Weather Underground, the Red Army Faction, and
Revolutionary Violence in the Sixties and Seventies; UC Press 2004).

AK Press of Oakland, California is adding another book to this
growing library of Weather Underground literature. The book, titled
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904859410/counterpunchmaga>Outlaws
of America and written by up-and-coming radical author Dan Berger, is
an important complement to the earlier works. The first history of
the Weather Underground Organization(WUO) to be written by someone
whose age parallels the ages of the children of WUO members and many
other "sixties" activists (Berger is 24), this well-researched and
detailed work provides a perspective on the most well-known group in
the militant wing of the anti-racist and antiwar movement. The book
is essential to understanding the history of the 1960s, as well as
the present movements against racism and imperialist war.

Two things make this book different than the one I got published 8
years ago. The first, and probably the greatest, is that Berger had
access to the research and work that went into Green's film and my
book. In addition, he also had much greater access to many of the
personalities involved in the Weather organization. Green had a
similar access. Things were a bit different when I was writing my
book (1990-1997). Queries I sent to those members in prison were
returned to me by prison officials, never having reached their
intended recipient. Only a few individuals who had been in
Weatherman/WUO were willing to talk with me and only two were willing
to go on record. Others were willing to tell me if my story was
accurate or not, but refused to discuss any specifics. One reason for
this was the timing of my queries. After all, many Weather members
were still unsure of their legal status and, politically, the US Left
was still reeling from the effects of the incredibly reactionary
Reagan era--a period that saw many members of the militant US left
imprisoned and its infrastructure destroyed. In addition, hardly
anyone that I approached knew my politics--which were a cross between
the countercultural anarchism of the Yippies and the new communist
movement of the 1970s. Berger and others have mentioned that my book
helped to make it okay for WUO to be discussed as a force in US
radical history. I was sent dozens of emails and letters from people
telling me their stories as members of WUO or other militant groups
after my book was published verifying this impression.

The other major difference between my work and Outlaws of America is
that Berger writes from the perspective of today's generation of
radical activists. (Indeed, Berger is co-editor of the recently
released collection
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560257474/counterpunchmaga>Letters
 >From Young Activists.) His perspective is that of an
anti-imperialist who came of age in the 1990s, not the 1960s and
1970s. This obviously provides a different perspective simply because
the face of US imperialism has changed, with the end of the Soviet
Union and its allies, and the rise of two worldwide movements against
Western capitalism--the anti-global capitalism surge and the Islamic
movement against the west. Both of these movements have varied
strains and are only semi-consciously aware of the connections they
share. Besides providing a different perspective on the WUO because
of the difference in the historical situation, Berger's viewpoint is
one that is not laden with the personality conflicts and ego battles
that are part and parcel of every "Sixties" activist's recollection
of the WUO. On top of that, Berger's historical distance means that
he sometimes places his emphasis on words and actions that have more
importance now than they did when they occurred. This tends to
provide a more congruous history. At times, his words may seem too
uncritical, but as another historian who was accused of the same
thing, it is my belief that most of those who make this criticism are
either fundamentally opposed to WUO's politics and analysis or are
still stuck in a past that most Weather members have apologized for
over and over.

Outlaws of America begins with a gripping description of Berger's
first visit to Attica State Prison to interview/converse with former
weather Underground member David Gilbert, who has been in the New
York prison system since a conviction for his involvement in the
tragic failure popularly known as the Nyack Brink's robbery. Berger
obviously has a tremendous amount of respect for Gilbert's commitment
while simultaneously understanding the tragedy of his position. In
fact, each chapter begins with a quote from Gilbert--a technique that
provides the reader with a glimpse of Berger's general perspective
while never merely repeating Gilbert's take on things.

Much of the book's beginning is a general history of Students for a
Democratic Society (SDS) and the dissipation of that organization
into Weatherman, Revolutionary Youth Movement 2, and SDS/Progressive
Labor. Using an academically-trained critical eye, Berger analyzes
key documents published in the SDS newspaper New Left Notes and
explicates the role these writings had in the political development
of Weather. His generational removal from the times allows for an
analysis that accepts the fervent anti-racism and struggle against
white privilege that would become Weather's theoretical backbone at
face value. This is important to Berger's history. Once he
establishes these elements as the basis for Weather's politics,
Berger is able to provide the reader with a history of the
Weatherman/Weather Underground Organization that would make its
former members critically proud.

Given this, one might argue that while Outlaws of America might make
former WUO members proud, it certainly couldn't be a good history if
it accepts their political premise. After all, how could such a
history be at all critical? To Berger's credit, it is the very fact
that he uses the yardstick of Weather's essential political stance as
the measure by which they should be judged that this history works as
well as it does. It is apparent from his writing that his interviews
with former members caused them to look at their actions and
political words in relation to how well they measured up to their
emotional and intellectual commitment to fighting racism,
imperialism, and the white privilege these isms provide to white
folks in the US.

As an activist who sees things differently than Weather did in terms
of emphasis on fighting white privilege, I am more than willing to
admit that it was their focus on this element of US society that made
me aware of the phenomenon of white privilege and reminded me to
fight it in myself and the larger world. On the other hand, my
relationships with workers who also happened to be white led me to
draw different conclusions about the way the phenomena of racism,
white privilege, and economic exploitation interact in modern
capitalist society. Of course, I was (and am) but one of hundreds of
thousands pondering these questions. And they are important
questions, to be sure.

Outlaws of America explores the final years of Weather in greater
detail than its predecessors. In addition, Berger provides
considerably more detail about the law enforcement activities arrayed
against the WUO and its allies. This is one important part of the
text where the element of time works in the author's favor. Not only
is there more information regarding the law enforcement activities
against the 1960s and 1970s popular leftist and anti-racist
organizations, it is also much more accessible. This fact combined
with Weather members willingness to discuss their years underground
helps Berger flesh out the facts of State repression against the New
Left, Black, Latino and Native American organizations, and especially
the WUO. As regards the final years of Weather, the fact that many
more former members feel safe in discussing the activities and
politics of the group provided Berger with an opportunity to uncover
the material. Of course, unless he asked the right questions, he
would not have discovered what he did. Fortunately, Berger not only
asked the right questions, he found enough former members willing to
discuss their answers with him. Consequently, the reader is provided
with the most complete explanation to date of how and why the Weather
Underground Organization fell apart. Like every other aspect of its
existence, the fundamental reasons were political. The stories and
discussions in this section are instructive for today's movements as
they struggle with questions of class, race, and gender.

Berger's best writing occurs when he weaves the modern-day
reflections of former WUO members into his narrative text. He does
this so skillfully that those reminiscences never come off sounding
awkward or irrelevant. Sometimes these reflections merely add a bit
of physical detail, while more often they provide a contextual
insight into what these women and men were thinking while they lived
and took political action underground. This is what makes this book
different and useful to the historian, the "sixties" buff, and the
political activist of today. These people lived the life of
clandestine revolutionaries and this book proves that they made the
choices they made because of their politics. It wasn't because of
some guilt due to class privilege, nor was their choice related to
some psychological occurrence of their childhood. Even more than the
previous works about Weatherman/WUO, Outlaws of America brings it
home, especially to the US reader, that people do make choices
(life-changing choices) based on their politics. This in itself is
revelatory in a culture that thinks politics begins with the
Republicans and ends with the Democrats.

There's some criticism in these pages, too. To be sure, it's
criticism from a left perspective, and that's a good thing. Those to
the right of the US Left--and there are many--will read this book
only under duress and rarely with an open mind. The reviews of the
aforementioned works on the subject attest to that. Although I hope
that Outlaws of America is read by people of all political
persuasions, it's clear that it is intended for the growing
left/anarchist movements of today and the New Left with its roots in
yesterday. If those of us in that readership are to learn from
history, it's very important that we critique that history. It's even
better when that criticism comes from a variety of viewpoints. I hope
this book, besides being an excellent read, sparks a new element in
that conversation.

(Reviewer's note: March 7 marks the 36th anniversary of the deaths of
Weathermembers Diana Oughton, Terry Robbins, and Ted Gold in the
Greenwich Village townhouse explosion.)

Ron Jacobs is author of
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859841678/counterpunchmaga>The
Way the Wind Blew: a history of the Weather Underground, which is
just republished by Verso. Jacobs' essay on Big Bill Broonzy is
featured in CounterPunch's new collection on music, art and sex,
<http://www.easycarts.net/ecarts/CounterPunch/CP_Books.html>Serpents
in the Garden. He can be reached at:
<mailto:rjacobs3625 at charter.net>rjacobs3625 at charter.net