[News] Black students ordered to give up seats to white children

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 24 17:38:14 EDT 2006

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060824/NEWS01/608240332/1002/NEWS

Black students ordered to give up seats to white children
Status of Red River Parish bus driver is unknown.
August 24, 2006

By Vickie Welborn
<mailto:vwelborn at gannett.com>vwelborn at gannett.com

COUSHATTA -- Nine black children attending Red
River Elementary School were directed last week
to the back of the school bus by a white driver
who designated the front seats for white children.
The situation has outraged relatives of the black
children who have filed a complaint with school officials.

Superintendent Kay Easley will meet with the
family members in her office this morning.

The National Association for the Advancement of
Colored People also is considering filing a
formal charge with the U.S. Department of
Justice. NAACP District Vice President James
Panell, of Shreveport, said he would apprise
Justice attorneys of the situation this week.
He's considering asking for an investigation into
the bus incident and other aspects of the school
system's operations, including pupil-teacher
ratio as it relates to the numbers of white and
black children, along with a breakdown of the
numbers of black and white teachers employed.

"If the smoke is there, then there's probably
fire somewhere else," Panell said in a phone
interview from New Orleans. "At this point, it is
extremely alarming. We fought that battle 50
years ago, and we won. Why is this happening again?"

Easley would not comment much on the allegations
Wednesday, saying it is a personnel issue. She
acknowledged that she has investigated the claim.
And she confirmed that the bus driver did not run
her route Wednesday, nor would she today.

Asked if the driver would work for the rest of
the year, Easley said, "I'm not going to answer
the questions. "» You're getting all that you're
going to get from me. I'm sorry."

Red River Elementary School Principal Jamie
Lawrence tried to rectify the seating situation
when it was brought to her attention. But it was
ultimately handled at the Central Office, Patricia Sessoms said.

Sessoms aunt, Iva Richmond, is the mother of two
of the children, ages 14 and 15, and foster
parent to three others, ages 5, 6 and 10. Janice
Williams, who is the mother of the other four
children, is Richmond's neighbor. All nine
children catch the bus at a stop on Ashland Road.

Sessoms will join Richmond and Williams in their
meeting with Easley today. Sessoms said they
would ask for bus driver Delores Davis' immediate
termination. Davis, who originates her bus route
in Martin, has called Richmond to apologize,
Sessoms said. A message left on Davis' answering
machine late Wednesday afternoon was not immediately returned.

After Richmond and Williams filed complaints with
the School Board, Transportation Supervisor Jerry
Carlisle asked Davis to make seat assignments for her passengers, Sessoms said.

"But she still assigned the black children to the back of the bus," she added.

And the nine children had to share only two
seats, meaning the older children had to hold the younger ones in their laps.

A new solution reached Monday by School Board
officials has a black bus driver driving across
town to pick up the nine black children.

"I think the whole school system needs to be
reviewed in Red River Parish," Sessoms said.

Sessoms, who has two children at Red River
Elementary, said she has no problems with her bus
driver. "I have a wonderful bus driver," she
added. Sessoms' request to have her young
children sit near the front because of their ages was granted.

School Board member Gene Longino said Wednesday
evening that he had not heard about the situation involving the nine children.

"I don't know anything about that. "» Until
something formally comes to the School Board
members through the superintendent, we don't know the details," Longino said.

School Board President Ricky Cannon was at work
Wednesday evening and unavailable for comment.
Board member J.B. McElwee also was not at home.
Calls to the homes of Cleve Miller, Kassandria
Wells White, Karen Womack and Jessie Webber were not answered.