[News] You are terrorists, we are virtuous

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 16 11:22:11 EDT 2006

<http://www.lrb.co.uk/index.php>
London Review of Books
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/index.php>

L<http://www.lrb.co.uk/index.php>RB |
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n16/contents.html>Vol.
28 No. 16 dated 17 August 2006 |
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/contribhome.php?get=laor01>Yitzhak Laor

You are terrorists, we are virtuous

Yitzhak Laor on the IDF

As soon as the facts of the Bint Jbeil ambush,
which ended with relatively high Israeli
casualties (eight soldiers died there), became
public, the press and television in Israel began
marginalising any opinion that was critical of
the war. The media also fell back on the kitsch
to which Israelis grow accustomed from childhood:
the most menacing army in the region is described
here as if it is David against an Arab Goliath.
Yet the Jewish Goliath has sent Lebanon back 20
years, and Israelis themselves even further: we
now appear to be a lynch-mob culture, glued to
our televisions, incited by a premier whose
'leadership' is being launched and legitimised
with rivers of fire and destruction on both sides
of the border. Mass psychology works best when
you can pinpoint an institution or a phenomenon
with which large numbers of people identify.
Israelis identify with the IDF, and even after
the deaths of many Lebanese children in Qana,
they think that stopping the war without scoring
a definitive victory would amount to defeat. This
logic reveals our national psychosis, and it
derives from our over-identification with Israeli military thinking.

In the melodramatic barrage fired off by the
press, the army is assigned the dual role of hero
and victim. And the enemy? In Hebrew broadcasts
the formulations are always the same: on the one
hand 'we', 'ours', 'us'; on the other, Nasrallah
and Hizbullah. There aren't, it seems, any
Lebanese in this war. So who is dying under
Israeli fire? Hizbullah. And if we ask about the
Lebanese? The answer is always that Israel has no
quarrel with Lebanon. It's yet another
illustration of our unilateralism, the thundering
Israeli battle-cry for years: no matter what
happens around us, we have the power and
therefore we can enforce the logic. If only
Israelis could see the damage that's been done by
all these years of unilateral thinking. But we
cannot, because the army – which has always been
the core of the state – determines the shape of
our lives and the nature of our memories, and
wars like this one erase everything we thought we
knew, creating a new version of history with
which we can only concur. If the army wins, its
success becomes part of 'our heritage'. Israelis
have assimilated the logic and the language of
the IDF – and in the process, they have lost
their memories. Is there a better way to
understand why we have never learned from
history? We have never been a match for the army,
whose memory – the official Israeli memory – is
hammered into place at the centre of our culture
by an intelligentsia in the service of the IDF and the state.

The IDF is the most powerful institution in
Israeli society, and one which we are discouraged
from criticising. Few have studied the dominant
role it plays in the Israeli economy. Even while
they are still serving, our generals become
friendly with the US companies that sell arms to
Israel; they then retire, loaded with money, and
become corporate executives. The IDF is the
biggest customer for everything and anything in
Israel. In addition, our high-tech industries are
staffed by a mixture of military and ex-military
who work closely with the Western military
complex. The current war is the first to become a
branding opportunity for one of our largest
mobile phone companies, which is using it to run
a huge promotional campaign. Israel's second
biggest bank, Bank Leumi, used inserts in the
three largest newspapers to distribute bumper
stickers saying: 'Israel is powerful.' The
military and the universities are intimately
linked too, with joint research projects and an array of army scholarships.

There is no institution in Israel that can
approach the army's ability to disseminate images
and news or to shape a national political class
and an academic elite or to produce memory,
history, value, wealth, desire. This is the way
identification becomes entrenched: not through
dictatorship or draconian legislation, but by
virtue of the fact that the country's most
powerful institution gets its hands on every
citizen at the age of 18. The majority of
Israelis identify with the army and the army
reciprocates by consolidating our identity,
especially when it is – or we are – waging war.

The IDF didn't play any role in either of the
Gulf wars and may not play a part in Bush's
pending war in Iran, but it is on permanent alert
for the real war that is always just round the
corner. Meanwhile, it harasses Palestinians in
the West Bank and Gaza, to very destructive
effect. (In July it killed 176 Palestinians, most
of them from the same area in Gaza, in a
'policing' operation that included the
destruction of houses and infrastructure.) They
shoot. They abduct. They use F-16s against
refugee camps, tanks against shacks and huts. For
years they have operated in this way against
gangs and groups of armed youths and children,
and they call it a war, a 'just war', vital for
our existence. The power of the army to produce
meanings, values, desire is perfectly illustrated
by its handling of the Palestinians, but it would
not be possible without the support of the left in Israel.

The mainstream left has never seriously tried to
oppose the military. The notion that we had no
alternative but to attack Lebanon and that we
cannot stop until we have finished the job: these
are army-sponsored truths, decided by the
military and articulated by state intellectuals
and commentators. So are most other descriptions
of the war, such as the Tel Aviv academic Yossef
Gorni's statement in Haaretz, that 'this is our
second war of independence.' The same sort of
nonsense was written by the same kind of people
when the 2000 intifada began. That was also a war
about our right to exist, our 'second 1948'.
These descriptions would not have stood a chance
if Zionist left intellectuals – solemn purveyors
of the 'morality of war' – hadn't endorsed them.

Military thinking has become our only thinking.
The wish for superiority has become the need to
have the upper hand in every aspect of relations
with our neighbours. The Arabs must be crippled,
socially and economically, and smashed
militarily, and of course they must then appear
to us in the degraded state to which we've
reduced them. Our usual way of looking at them is
borrowed from our intelligence corps, who
'translate' them and interpret them, but cannot
recognise them as human beings. Israelis long ago
ceased to be distressed by images of sobbing
women in white scarves, searching for the remains
of their homes in the rubble left by our
soldiers. We think of them much as we think of
chickens or cats . We turn away without much
trouble and consider the real issue: the enemy.
The Katyusha missiles that have been hitting the
north of the country are launched without
'discrimination', and in this sense Hizbullah is
guilty of a war crime, but the recent volleys of
Katyushas were a response to the frenzied assault
on Lebanon. To the large majority of Israelis,
however, all the Katyushas prove is what a good
and necessary thing we have done by destroying
our neighbours again: the enemy is indeed
dangerous, it's just as well we went to war. The
thinking becomes circular and the prophecies
self-fulfilling. Israelis are fond of saying:
'The Middle East is a jungle, where only might
speaks.' See Qana, and Gaza, or Beirut.

Defenders of Israel and its leaders can always
argue that the US and Britain behave similarly in
Iraq. (It is true that Olmert and his colleagues
would not have acted so shamelessly if the US had
not been behind them. Had Bush told them to hold
their fire, they wouldn't have dared to move a
single tank.) But there is a major difference.
The US and Britain went to war in Iraq without
public opinion behind them. Israel went to war in
Lebanon, after a border incident which it
exploited in order to destroy a country, with the
overwhelming support of Israelis, including the
members of what the European press calls the 'peace camp'.

Amos Oz, on 20 July, when the destruction of
Lebanon was already well underway, wrote in the
Evening Standard: 'This time, Israel is not
invading Lebanon. It is defending itself from a
daily harassment and bombardment of dozens of our
towns and villages by attempting to smash
Hizbullah wherever it lurks.' Nothing here is
distinguishable from Israeli state
pronouncements. David Grossman wrote in the
Guardian, again on 20 July, as if he were unaware
of any bombardment in Lebanon: 'There is no
justification for the large-scale violence that
Hizbullah unleashed this week, from Lebanese
territory, on dozens of peaceful Israeli
villages, towns and cities. No country in the
world could remain silent and abandon its
citizens when its neighbour strikes without any
provocation.' We can bomb, but if they respond
they are responsible for both their suffering and
ours. And it's important to remember that 'our
suffering' is that of poor people in the north
who cannot leave their homes easily or quickly.
'Our suffering' is not that of the
decision-makers or their friends in the media. Oz
also wrote that 'there can be no moral equation
between Hizbullah and Israel. Hizbullah is
targeting Israeli civilians wherever they are,
while Israel is targeting mostly Hizbullah.' At
that time more than 300 Lebanese had been killed
and 600 had been injured. Oz went on: 'The
Israeli peace movement should support Israel's
attempt at self-defence, pure and simple, as long
as this operation targets mostly Hizbullah and
spares, as much as possible, the lives of
Lebanese civilians (this is not always an easy
task, as Hizbullah missile-launchers often use
Lebanese civilians as human sandbags).'

The truth behind this is that Israel must always
be allowed to do as it likes even if this
involves scorching its supremacy into Arab
bodies. This supremacy is beyond discussion and
it is simple to the point of madness. We have the
right to abduct. You don't. We have the right to
arrest. You don't. You are terrorists. We are
virtuous. We have sovereignty. You don't. We can
ruin you. You cannot ruin us, even when you
retaliate, because we are tied to the most
powerful nation on earth. We are angels of death.

The Lebanese will not remember everything about
this war. How many atrocities can a person keep
in mind, how much helplessness can he or she
admit, how many massacres can people tell their
children about, how many terrorised escapes from
burning houses, without becoming a slave to
memory? Should a child keep a leaflet written by
the IDF in Arabic, in which he is told to leave
his home before it's bombed? I cannot urge my
Lebanese friends to remember the crimes my state
and its army have committed in Lebanon.

Israelis, however, have no right to forget. Too
many people here supported the war. It wasn't
just the nationalist religious settlers. It's
always easy to blame the usual suspects for our
misdemeanours: the scapegoating of religious
fanatics has allowed us to ignore the role of the
army and its advocates within the Zionist left.
This time we have seen just how strongly the
'moderates' are wedded to immoderation, even
though they knew, before it even started, that
this would be a war against suburbs and crowded
areas of cities, small towns and defenceless
villages. The model was our army's recent actions
in Gaza: Israeli moderates found these perfectly acceptable.

It was a mistake for those of us who are unhappy
with our country's policies to breathe a sigh of
relief after the army withdrew from Lebanon in
2000. We thought that the names of Sabra and
Shatila would do all the memorial work that
needed to be done and that they would stand,
metonymically, for the crimes committed in
Lebanon by Israel. But, with the withdrawal from
Gaza, many Israelis who should be opposing this
war started to think of Ariel Sharon, the genius
of Sabra and Shatila, as a champion of peace. The
logic of unilateralism – of which Sharon was the
embodiment – had at last prevailed: Israelis are
the only people who count in the Middle East; we
are the only ones who deserve to live here.

This time we must try harder to remember. We must
remember the crimes of Olmert, and of our
minister of justice, Haim Ramon, who championed
the destruction of Lebanese villages after the
ambush at Bint Jbeil, and of the army chief of
staff, Dan Halutz. Their names should be
submitted to The Hague so they can be held accountable.

Elections are a wholly inadequate form of
accountability in Israel: the people we kill and
maim and ruin cannot vote here. If we let our
memories slacken now, the machine-memory will
reassert control and write history for us. It
will glide into the vacuum created by our
negligence, with the civilised voice of Amos Oz
easing its path, and insert its own version. And
suddenly we will not be able to explain what we
know, even to our own children.

In Israel there is still no proper history of our
acts in Lebanon. Israelis in the peace camp used
to carry posters with the figure '680' on them –
the number of Israelis who died during the 1982
invasion. Six hundred and eighty Israeli
soldiers. How many members of that once sizeable
peace camp protested about the tens of thousands
of Lebanese, Palestinian and Syrian casualties?
Isn't the failure of the peace camp a result of
its inability to speak about the cheapness of
Arab blood? General Udi Adam, one of the
architects of the current war, has told Israelis
that we shouldn't count the dead. He meant this
very seriously and Israelis should take him
seriously. We should make it our business to
count the dead in Lebanon and in Israel and, to
the best of our abilities, to find out their names, all of them.

3 August

<http://www.lrb.co.uk/contribhome.php?get=laor01>Yitzhak
Laor lives in Tel Aviv.