[News] Incident at Oglala repeats in Hormigueros, Puerto Rico

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Thu Sep 29 09:09:05 EDT 2005

Filiberto Ojeda Rios: He crossed over to the Spirit World like a
warrior

The Leonard Peltier Defense Committee strongly condemns the
assassination of the Puerto Rican Independentista movement leader
Filiberto Ojeda Rios by the FBI and urges its supporters to understand
the parallels with our history and extend their solidarity to the
Puerto Rican freedom fighters.

On Friday September 23^rd, 2005, a day in which Puerto Rico celebrated
the 137^th anniversary of its independence from Spain, a day when the
people renew their struggle against colonialism in all its forms, the
US government sent its forces to strike right at the heart of the
boricua people. As hundreds gathered to hear the recorded words of
Filiberto Ojeda Rios exhorting all to unite for truth, justice and a
better life for the hard working people of that beautiful island, the
FBI executed a paramilitary operation, surrounded Ojeda Rios house and
started shooting hundreds of rounds, just like they did in the Pine
Ridge Indian Reservation on June 26^th, 1975 (one day after the
anniversary of the Battle of Greasy Grass, when the Lakota nation was
victorious over Custer and the invader army). He tried to defend
himself and his family, just as our beloved warrior Leonard Peltier
did, and was murdered by an FBI sniper, just like our own Joe Stuntz.
The colonial forces then blocked access to ambulances and anybody who
could help so that Filiberto would bleed to death. There was no need
to kill this man. Even in the colonial courts he had been absolved
from any wrong doing and had only been accused of robbery. He was
considered a fugitive because he removed the electronic anklet used to
track him and lived in hiding tending his garden in the mountains. The
governments real reason for targeting him was that he wanted to lead
the people towards freedom from colonialism and justice. We need to
understand that this is the reality and it makes all of us who
struggle for justice potential targets. Just as Don Filiberto called
for the unity of the Puerto Rican independentista movement, we must
also unite through the threads of our collective history of struggle.

We do not need to use our imagination to see that this is a long
standing modus operandi of the US government and its leading
paramilitary agency. The only difference is that today this terror is
wanton and global. When will the so called american people wake up
from the stupor of their indulgences and comfort to put a stop to
this? They are the only ones that can rein in the monster that goes on
killing and destroying in their name. For the sake of the planet, our
mother Earth, the international community also has the responsibility
to face the real criminals and let them know their behavior is
intolerable and must cease immediately. After centuries of the same
practices, our colonial oppressors should wise up and learn they do
not work. Our thirst for justice is not placated through more
injustice, the murder and imprisonment of our leaders, this only
deepens it. Those of us who are left are guided by those brave spirits
and so inspired. If they gave so much, how can we be in peace doing
nothing? Their call, from the Spirit World and from behind the iron
bars and stun lethal fences, is irrepressible.

Wanbli Watakpe

Director
Leonard Peltier Defense Committee

Official Website: [1]www.leonardpeltier.org

Online Store: [2]http://www.cafepress.com/leonardpeltier

Please visit the Guest Book for Steven R. Robideau. The LPDC is
sponsoring it for a year as a keepsake for his family.

[3]http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id=GB15007397X

Hay hombres que luchan un dia y son buenos, hay otros que luchan
muchos anios y son mejores, pero hay los que luchan toda la vida y
esos son los indispensables.
Bertolt Brecht [emrose.gif]

References

1. http://www.leonardpeltier.org/
2. http://www.cafepress.com/leonardpeltier
3. javascript:ol('http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id%3dGB15007397X');

To change your email address, send a message to lpdc-change at mail-
list.com
    with your old address in the Subject: line

To unsubscribe, click on the following web page.
http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=lpdc&nm=claude@freedomarchives.org

This message was launched into cyberspace to claude at freedomarchives.org

Claude Marks
Freedom Archives