[News] Flag Day: Three unarmed Haitians died

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 20 08:35:49 EDT 2005

Three Unarmed Haitians
Died from Bullets on Haiti's Flag Day

Three unarmed Haitians died from bullets yesterday, May 18, 2005. This
time, it wasn't the UN soldiers who cold-bloodedly pumped bullets into
unarmed Haitians protesting the ouster of President Aristide. The
demonstrators say that the UN troops did indeed provide security throughout
the demonstration and protected them from the Haitian police armed by the
Bush administration.

Yes, the bullets pumped into these unarmed Haitians came from the gun
barrels of U.S.-armed, Canadian-trained, French-supported Coup D’etat thugs
wearing police gear provide by the international community supporting the
Latortue government's death reign in Haiti.

The fundamental problem with the UN's mission in Haiti is that UN troops
and CIVPOL are in Haiti to provide support for the murderous Haitian police
who did yesterday’s shooting. That is, UN troops and CIVPOL are in Haiti to
uphold the foreign imposed Latortue government that would fall in a
nanosecond without their presence AND to protect the people. Two
incompatible goals. A farce. The UN's presence is simply meant to stop the
people from toppling a government they didn't elect and which they despise.

Since coming to Haiti, the UN soldiers have allowed the Haitian police to
abuse the people of Haiti. But yesterday it was on the down low, after the
demonstration, as the people where returning home and away from the media
cameras.

Thus, yesterday, UN units did provide security both at the front and at the
back of the demonstrators’ line. The people came out in droves. Haitian
estimates range from 25,000 to 70,000 people in the streets. Of course,
despite their own photos depicting an endless sea of people, AP estimates a
crowd of 5,000.

In Port-au-Prince yesterday several times during the demonstration the
U.S.-backed Haitian police - men all dressed in black with big guns
at-the-ready tried to ambush the crowd.

Several times, it was a cadre of journalists and foreigners, notable among
them, Kevin Pina, who quickly maneuvered their cameras in front of the
men-in-black, putting themselves in the line of fire. Kevin Pina, a Western
journalist, saved many Haitian lives yesterday. For that he was threatened
by a Brazilian soldier who took a close-up picture of Kevin Pina as he was
getting into his car after the demonstration, saying something to the
effect of: "I'm going to give this to the Haitian police, so they can take
care of you."

We need no further proof of the UN soldiers' complicity in Haiti with the
summary executions of innocent people who don't swallow the Coup D’etat
agenda they are there to secure. The game that was played yesterday, with
the men-in-black seemingly appearing to try to shoot the demonstrators out
of the line of vision of the UN convoy rolling with the demonstrators, was
a farce. The UN knows the dressed-up Haitian "police" are assassins. In
fact, the international community has trained this Haitian police to be
assassins. But yet it is Black Haitian youths who are deemed the bandits
and demonized by the mainstream press.

We need only mention the recent demonstrations of February 28 and April 27
where the Haitian "police" opened fire on unarmed demonstrators in plain
sight of media cameras. This has not stopped the UN from its policy of
arresting Haitians, from the populous neighborhoods, in droves, and handing
them over to this death squad. This has not stopped the UN units from
rolling around Haiti in their tanks during "joint," “peacekeeping”
operations with Haiti’s foreign-paid and sustained thugs and killers.

At the May 18, 2005 protest, MINUSTHA did accompany the demonstrators
continuously this time, from the beginning of the march to its end, and
appeared at major intersections, not doing their usual and convenient
disappearing acts when the murderous foreign-paid Haitian "police" are
shooting unarmed demonstrators.

But there is no doubt that yesterday it was thanks to the presence and
actions of the press that no Haitians were shot dead during the course of
the demonstration. Using his camera, Kevin Pina, warded off the
men-in-black, postponing the killing spree.

But later, on their way home, out of sight of press cameras and MINUSTHA
troops, some protestors and bystanders were ambushed by the Haitian police.
Three were shot dead.

The men-in-black trained and sustained by the Canadians, US, UN went
hunting for innocent Black blood. They picked one guy out from the crowd,
riddled him with bullets. The people with this guy quickly picked him up,
ran off with him in a wheelbarrow. But he died along the way. His name was
Sanel Joseph from Site Solèy 19. Sanel Joseph leaves behind a wife and two
children. The Haitian thugs, wearing police uniforms and being propped-up
by the US/Canada/France and the UN against the wishes of the people of
Haiti, killed two others. One of those murdered was shot while on his porch
on Rue St. Martin watching the returning protestors.

Below is our Ezili Danto Witness report, direct from Haiti, a very detailed
account on what happened yesterday at the demonstration protesting the Coup
D’etat and demanding return of President Aristide and Constitutional rule.

Jean, our eyewitness, talks about two shot dead by the CIMO - special
Haitian police units who wear all black. But it is three (3) unarmed
Haitians who died yesterday from a Coup D’etat bullet. A UN bullet, a US
bullet, a Canadian bullet, a Haitian mercenary working with the
US/UN/France/Canada's bullet. No matter. Their hands are dripping in
Haitian blood as each of these authorities insist on ignoring the peoples
cry for a return of their Constitutional government and continue to cuddle
the Haitian police they are training who kill unarm Haitian protestors with
absolute impunity.

Marguerite Laurent
Haitian Lawyers Leadership Network
May 19, 2005

******

Ezili Danto Witness Project:
Direct form Haiti - Jean’s Report on the May 18, 2005 Demonstration

ML: I need to write something on how the demonstration was in general and I
would also like for you to address the facts regarding deaths and injuries.
You wrote to say that two people died yet other sources only mention one. I
would like for you to confirm whether or not you have the victims’ names
and what happened?

Jean: Well, it’s during the Solèy demonstration. First of all Solèy went to
Bèlè and on the way, behind HASCO, around Brant’s factories, the men in
black were standing on rooftops, automatic weapons at the ready, they were
(....) at the demonstrators. While the MINUSTHA armored vehicle protected
the demonstrators, they moved on indeed, going through St Martin, on to
Bèlè. There was a first incident where a child was protected by MINUSTHA,
preventing bloodshed. Indeed the men in black were on the warpath since
Delma 3, they were aiming at the demonstrators, but since MINUSTHA soldiers
hurriedly moved to an adjacent position, they did not shoot. When the
demonstrators reached the Airport crossroad the same scenario was played
out. When they got to Christ Roy and again aimed at the demonstrators,
Kevin Pina (a journalist) had his camera. They stopped him and threatened
him...

ML: They who, MINUSTHA or the Haitian Police?

Jean: Both the police and MINUSTHA threatened him. We continued on and when
we reached Christ Roy the men in black arrested 5 people. They arrested 5
people that they took away to an undisclosed destination.

ML: Who arrested them?

Jean: The men in black...

ML: So they were there?

Jean: MINUSTHA was protecting the demonstration, but at every intersection
the men in black would get there first and be waiting and forced MINUSTHA
to hurriedly join them. This game went on and on where they would leave for
the next intersection where the people had to call MINUSTHA to come and
offer some protection. When we were going down from Christ Roy to Lalue,
there were some MINUSTHA soldiers more interested in some young ladies than
their duty. As they were chatting, and distracted, some “demonstrator”
helped themselves to some MINUSTHA arms. They took one or two (rocket
launchers?), (3 Q65 ?), and 1 Uzi. When the MINUSTHA soldiers appeared to
realize what was happening, they stopped chatting, but it was too late. The
perpetrators had already disappeared among the demonstrators, for it was a
big crowd.

As the demonstration moved on Lalue reaching the traffic signal of Rue
Lama, the original protection was offered by MINUSTHA that had stopped
traffic all along Lalue in order for the demonstrators to move towards
Bèlè. When we continued towards Bèlè, we continued by the former National
Archives, pass Lycee Petion we stumbled onto the CIMO Police along with
(...), (as they were masked) only the top of their head was not
camouflaged. They had occupied the whole area of the Cathedral, threatening
to harm demonstrators. As Kevin Pina was at the very front of the
demonstration, in a car, he hurried to their position and used his camera
to again film the action. They shouted: “white man get out of the way!” He
responded: “I am a journalist”, to which they said: “We don’t give a damn
about journalists!” They proceeded to tell him: “sooner or later we will
find you...”

Kevin Pina proceeded to remind them that during the international press day
commemorations, the colonel guaranteed protection to all journalists
practicing their profession and that they could not stop a journalist’s
reporting; your threatening stance (...) At this very moment, we saw four
cars coming full speed towards the action. Since a few more journalists had
joined Kevin Pina and myself, MINUSTHA had to follow suit, forcing by their
presence the CIMO Police to stop.

At that point, the demonstration engaged on the hill to bèlè and that is
where the Solèy demonstrators allowed the demonstration to end and started
to walk home to Site Solèy. As they were reaching Solèy, there is a very
well known Police Officer named Sovè. I don’t know his last name but will
look for it, once I can reload my cell of minutes. He is attached to the
Portail St Joseph local police precinct, near the market Tèt Bèf. He seems
to belong to any and all police units. At times he will wear the black
uniform, the blue or the (brown?); no one can figure out where he belongs.
He came with his group and right away opened fire on the demonstrators,
killing Joseph, whose last name I forgot, age 30, he died leaving to
children, he lived in Solèy 19,...

ML: What is Joseph’s last name?

Jean: Yes, I forgot the last name, but I will find it for you. If you call
back later I will then give you the name. He left 3,...no 2 children and
resided in Solèy 19 in the interior.

ML: How exactly did he die, was he walking...

Jean: He was part of the demonstration. He was leaving Bèlè reaching St
Martin, around the gasoline station on St Martin. The perpetrators were
hiding around the market Tèt Bèf. As the front of the demonstration was
turning towards the old airport, they opened fire on the crowd. The victim
was hit in the eye and fell on a pile of garbage. Right away, the Solèy
demonstrators grabbed him and ran with the body all the way to Site Solèy.
The other victim, according Rue St Martin witnesses, he resides in Rue St
Martin. He was home, standing on his porch, looking at the demonstrators,
he was hit by a bullet and killed on the spot.

ML: Do you know his name?

Jean: No, I don’t know his name, I can only find the name for the victim
from Solèy 19.

ML: So the second victim resides at rue St Martin?

Jean: Yes, Rue St Martin...

ML: Where was the MINUSTHA contingent when these people were shooting at
the demonstrators on their way home?

Jean: Well, when the demonstrators were going to Bèlè MINUSTHA protected
them. However, once they started home, back to Solèy, MINUSTHA was no
longer protecting them. They went home unprotected for MINUSTHA left them.
Indeed, once they reach the Gonaive station, the men in black were about to
start searching the demonstrators. As MINUSTHA was getting close the men in
black let the demonstrators go.

ML: OK, Thank You! Also, have you heard from the other parts of Haiti where
they staged demonstrations?

Jean: (brief silence) I did not hear you...

ML: (repeats question)...

Jean: Well, according to the reports, it was Fanmi Lavalas in large numbers
that demonstrated throughout Haiti yesterday. If it had not been for what
they did to the demonstrators form Site Solèy, there would have been no
arguments. MINUSTHA had stopped the traffic from Delma 2, as the
demonstrators from Solèy reached Delma 2, the mood started to change. You
heard shouts of: ”Here comes Solèy!” The demonstrators from Bèlè who from
afar were waiting for Solèy, as the front of the demonstration appeared
exclamation of joy could be heard. Statements like: “Now we feel Solèy!”
Indeed, the demonstrators were bravely chanting daring slogans such as: “If
Drèd Wilme falls, Haiti as a country will crumble!” The slogans also
targeted the National Police spokes woman, Mrs. Coicou. The people of Site
Solèy explained that though they are held hostage, though they put them in
quarantine, they expressed their conviction and determination to take to
the street in spite of the imminent danger. They will accept death if they
must, but will take to the street.

ML: About how many people were at the demonstration? Do you have a
number... an approximation? Compared it to the demonstration of the 28 or
April 27? How did you evaluate the crowd?

Jean: Of all the demonstrations stage since Aristide’s departure,
yesterday’s demonstration was the only one that took over Port-au-Prince.
There has been no bigger demonstration than the one staged yesterday!

ML: Well, thank you, thank you Jean. We will talk later to try and find out
the name of the second man who died, as well as Joseph’s last name. I will
call you a little later.

Jean: I will get the information...

ML: Thank you. We’ll talk...

*******
Forwarded by the Haitian Lawyers' Leadership Network
******

"Men anpil chay pa lou" is Kreyol for - "Many hands make light a heavy load."

Join our International Solidarity Day with Haiti for May 18, 2005 and be on
the ground floor to help launch the FREE HAITI MOVEMENT For info and list of
current sponsors, see:
http://www.margueritelaurent.com/photogallery/haitisolidarityday.html - See,
"Information Package For Sponsors" on that page.