[News] Leonard Peltier - Statement to Supporters June 10,2005

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jun 13 08:50:47 EDT 2005

Dear Brothers, Sisters, Friends, Supporters, and All People,

         I want to thank you all for your continuing support. These are
important times for us all. Now is the time for unification. Only
through unity can we overcome.I ask all of us, my brother and sisters,
all people, please come together as one and work together hard for the
rights of all. On this Wednesday, one of the most important hearings in
my case will be presented in Fargo, North Dakota.It challenges the
court's jurisdiction to have illegally sentenced me. I was never charged
with a crime over which the United States had jurisdiction.The charges
and conviction violate our sovereignty.This hearing can lead to my
freedom. But, I will leave it to my lawyers to present these issues to
the court and any of you who have questions may of course call upon
them. Barry Bachrach and Michael Kuzma have worked hard for my freedom,
as have so many of you, too many to list.I remember you all and hope to
join you soon. I especially want to thank Michael Kuzma for his hard
work in relentlessly pursuing the government to produce to us the over
140,000 documents which have yet to be produced, after nearly 30 years
of obfuscation. I hope you will all support this hearing and the cause.
I hope to be free so I can even more effectively assist and give back to
all of my people  for the outpouring of support that you have given me
through these so many years.Let's pray that this time I am given the
justice due our people.

         I also want to acknowledge another significant event which will
occur on June 26,2005, the 30th anniversary of the firefight on the
jumping bull property. We did not start that war. We stood as brave
warriors simply trying to protect the elders and the traditionals who
did not wish to lose their identity to the forces conducting a war upon
them. All of those who participated that day were warriors. I, along
with all of you, mourn the death of Joe Stuntz who valiantly sought to
protect our people. We mourn the many people who died during the Reign
of Terror. We mourn that the fight continues. The forces attacking us
have not stopped.However, this anniversary should not only be a day only
of mourning, but a day to reinvigorate our people's efforts to achieve
the rights and justice to which we  are all due. Today, many of our
people are being unjustly placed in prison. The government has turned
the prisons into one of the largest reservations in this Country.Our
people are not treated with the respect we are due. These injustices
must stop. We must unite and speak as one to stop the injustices facing
our people. Remember, unity. Unity conquers all. My prayers are with you
all on these important days. I pray to be with you soon to help.

In the Spirit,

Leonard Peltier