[News] Robert Fisk: Hotel journalism gives American troops a free hand

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 19 08:51:20 EST 2005

Hotel journalism gives American troops a free hand as the press shelters
indoors

Robert Fisk in Baghdad

The Independent, January 17, 2005

<http://news.independent.co.uk/world/fisk/story.jsp?story=601489>http://news.independent.co.uk/world/fisk/story.jsp?story=601489

"Hotel journalism" is the only phrase for it. More and more Western
reporters in Baghdad are reporting from their hotels rather than the
streets of Iraq's towns and cities. Some are accompanied everywhere by
hired, heavily armed Western mercenaries. A few live in local offices from
which their editors refuse them permission to leave. Most use Iraqi
stringers, part-time correspondents who risk their lives to conduct
interviews for American or British journalists, and none can contemplate a
journey outside the capital without days of preparation unless they "embed"
themselves with American or British forces.

Rarely, if ever, has a war been covered by reporters in so distant and
restricted a way. The New York Times correspondents live in Baghdad behind
a massive stockade with four watchtowers, protected by locally hired,
rifle-toting security men, complete with NYT T‑shirts. America's NBC
television chain are holed up in a hotel with an iron grille over their
door, forbidden by their security advisers to visit the swimming pool or
the restaurant "let alone the rest of Baghdad" lest they be attacked.
Several Western journalists do not leave their rooms while on station in
Baghdad.

So grave are the threats to Western journalists that some television
stations are talking of withdrawing their reporters and crews. Amid an
insurgency where Westerners - and many Arabs as well as other foreigners -
are kidnapped and killed, reporting this war is becoming close to
impossible. The murder on videotape of an Italian correspondent, the
cold-blooded killing of one of Poland's top reporters and his Bulgarian
cameraman, and the equally bloody assault on a Japanese reporter on the
notorious Highway 8 south of Baghdad last year have persuaded many
journalists that a large dose of discretion is the better part of valour.

The Independent, along with several British and American papers, still
covers stories in Baghdad in person, moving with hesitation - not to
mention trepidation - through the streets of a city slowly being taken over
by insurgents. Only six months ago, it was still possible to leave Baghdad
in the morning, drive to Mosul or Najaf or other major cities to cover a
story, and return by evening. By August, it was taking me two weeks to
negotiate my dubious safety for a mere 80-mile journey outside Baghdad.

I found the military checkpoints on the motorways deserted, the roads lined
with smashed American trucks and burnt-out police vehicles. Today, it is
almost impossible. Drivers and translators working for newspapers and
television companies are threatened with death. Several have asked to be
relieved of their duties on 30 January lest they be recognised on the
streets during Iraq's elections. In the brutal 1990s war in Algeria, at
least 42 local reporters were murdered and a French cameraman was shot dead
in the Algiers Casbah. But the Algerian security forces could still give a
minimum of protection to reporters. In Iraq, they cannot even protect
themselves.

The police and the Iraqi National Guard - much trumpeted by the Americans
as the men who will take over after an American withdrawal - are heavily
infiltrated by insurgents. Checkpoints may be manned by policemen, but it
is now unclear just who the cops are working for. US troops operating in
and around Baghdad are now avoided by Western journalists, unless they are
"embedded", as much as they are by Iraqis because of the indiscipline with
which they open fire on civilians on the least suspicion.

So questions are being asked. What is a reporter's life worth? Is the story
worth the risk? And, much more seriously from an ethical point of view, why
do not more journalists report on the restrictions under which they
operate? During the 2003 Anglo-American invasion, editors often insisted on
prefacing journalists' dispatches from Saddam's Iraq by talking about the
restrictions under which they were operating. But today, when our movements
are much more circumscribed, no such "health warning" accompanies their
reports. In many cases, viewers and readers are left with the impression
that the journalist is free to travel around Iraq to check out the stories
which he or she confidently files each day. Not so.

"The United States military couldn't be happier with this situation," a
long-time American correspondent in Baghdad says. "They know that if they
bomb a house of innocent people, they can claim it was a 'terrorist' base
and get away with it. They don't want us roaming around Iraq and so the
'terrorist' threat is great news for them.

"They can claim they've shot 600 or 1,000 insurgents and we have no way of
checking because we can't go to the cemetery or visit the hospitals because
we don't want to get kidnapped and have our throats cut."

Thus, many reporters are now reduced to telephoning the American military
or the Iraqi "interim" government for information from their hotel rooms,
receiving "facts" from men and women who are even more isolated from Iraq
in the Baghdad Green Zone around Saddam Hussein's former republican palace
than are the journalists. Or they take reports from their correspondents
who are embedded with American troops and who will, necessarily, get only
the American side of the story.

Yes, it is still possible to report from the street in Baghdad. But fewer
and fewer of us are doing this, and there may come a time when we have to
balance the worth of our reports against the risk to our lives.

We have not reached that point yet. So far, we still see a little more of
Iraq than the people who claim to be running this country.