[News] Stand Up for Reproductive Justice!

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 13 13:35:06 EST 2005

Stand Up for Reproductive Justice!
Counter the Anti-Choice, Anti-Woman Right Wing!

SATURDAY, JANUARY 22ND

10 AM RALLY AT POWELL & MARKET, SAN FRANCISCO
(11am-march to Embarcadero)
1PM MEET AT AQUATIC PARK (near Fort Mason) FOR COUNTER DEMONSTRATION

January 22nd, 2005 will be the 32nd anniversary of the Roe v Wade court
decision that established a constitutional right to reproductive freedom in
the United States. The right-wing is seizing upon this day to advance their
agenda against women's rights.  "Walk for Life West Coast", an anti-choice
event, is organizing a march in San Francisco (see their website for all
the gory details: http://www.walkforlifewc.com

Let's show them that their right wing, anti-women agenda is not welcome in
our community. This is the same agenda that criminalizes immigrants, denies
same-sex marriage, and denounces queer people and their families.  Let us
take this opportunity to re-affirm our commitment to justice and dignity
for all people.

Join us in standing up for reproductive justice and demonstrate that our
city is Pro-Choice, Pro-Queer, Pro-Immigrant, and that we will fight back.

The Anti-choice event begins with speakers at 11am at Justin Herman Plaza,
followed by a march to Marina Green. Go to www.jan22action.riseup.net for
updates on planning for the counter demonstration. Or contact
jan22action at riseup.net.

OTHER ACTIVITIES:

Voices from the Alley will take place on Friday, January 21st, beginning at
7pm in Osage Alley in San Francisco (directly next to Café La Boheme and
across from the 24th St. BART station) . There will be a staged reading of
“Voices From the Alley”, a Living Newspaper that tells the stories of women
who survived illegal abortions. It will be followed by a candlelit
procession in honor of women who died from illegal abortions, walking to
the Women’s Building at 18th and Lapidge.

The play Jane: Abortion and the Underground will have a one-night only
appearance at the Brava Theater on January 22nd. The 8pm performance will
be followed by a panel discussion about the current threats to legal
abortion in the United States and the future of the reproductive rights
movement.