[News] Ward Churchill speaks out

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Fri Feb 11 12:17:54 EST 2005

The Man in the Maelstrom

http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/s11/churchill_interview_pw.html

Ward Churchill speaks out on his controversial essay,
the media frenzy and what the U.S. can do if it really wants to halt terrorism

By Pamela White
Boulder Weekly Feb. 10, 2005

It started when a group of conservative students from Hamilton College in
New York, hoping to block University of Colorado Professor Ward Churchill's
scheduled talk at their school, protested an essay Churchill had written on
Sept. 11, 2001. In the essay, titled "Some People Push Back: On the Justice
of Roosting Chickens," Churchill, an American Indian activist and scholar,
framed the terrorists attacks as inevitable, the natural result of years of
oppressive U.S. policies, which he outlined at length. He also compared the
stockbrokers, lawyers and government employees who died in the attacks with
Nazi "technocrat" Adolf Eichmann for their role in supporting U.S. actions
abroad.

The students' protest caught the attention of the national corporate media,
which pounced on Churchill and his controversial essay with rabid ferocity.
The result was a national furor. For two weeks now, the corporate media has
controlled the story, fanning the flames of anger and even questioning
Churchill's ethnicity. Paula Zahn interviewed Churchill - but barely let
him speak. MSNBC, Fox and MTV carried the story. Denver talk radio couldn't
get enough of the topic, one radio host declaring Churchill's essay
treasonous and suggesting that Churchill be executed.

Media attention prompted reactions from members of Congress, who contacted
Gov. Bill Owens, demanding a response. Owens, in turn, condemned
Churchill's writings and called for university officials to fire him. The
Colorado General Assembly then picked up the issue and passed a resolution
renouncing Churchill's point of view, and the CU Board of Regents held a
special meeting and apologized to the nation for the essay. The regents are
now investigating Churchill to determine whether he can be fired.

But, although pundits and politicians have quoted from Churchill's writings
at length, often taking the words out of context, the man in the middle of
the maelstrom has been given very little room in the press to respond to
his detractors. Boulder Weekly sat down with Churchill in his Boulder home
on Monday, Feb. 7, to talk in depth about his essays, the media frenzy
surrounding him and what the United States can do if it truly wishes to end
terrorism.

To read Churchill's essay free of media spin, go to
<http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/s11/churchill.html>http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/s11/churchill.html
.

Boulder Weekly: What were you doing on Sept. 11 when you first heard about
the terrorist attacks?

Ward Churchill: I was on the word processor working on an extended essay on
American Indians in films, which I had been working on for some time... The
phone rang. It was Kathleen Cleaver. She said, "Is your TV on?" I said,
"No." She said, "Well, turn it on, because a plane just hit the World Trade
Center." So probably within five minutes from the time the first plane hit
I watched it in real time.

I suppose like everybody else, I was stunned... I knew it was real, but
still there was this disbelief thing. And to be fair about it, that was
probably affecting everyone, including the people who had set up the
cameras and were filming the thing as it occurred - probably more so for
them because they were watching it for real.

But it struck me even before the first building came down that this was
already being framed. It was proclaimed to be "senseless" before the first
building came down, and senseless means "without purpose," and that seemed
absolutely absurd to me on its face. How could they possibly know? There
are planes being hijacked all over the country. Two of them have hit the
World Trade Center. One of them has hit the Pentagon. There's another one
loose. But whoever's doing this has no purpose.

And then there's the outrage: How can this happen? Well, there's various
ways you could take it, like, "How did they penetrate the air defense?" But
I don't think that's the nature of the question. That was not my sense. It
was more like, "What could possibly provoke somebody to do this?" OK, that
question and, "Why do they hate us?"

All of that [struck me] - both the framing of it as being senseless and the
amazingly stupid questions as to what would provoke somebody to do this.

BW: My first thought when I saw what had happened was, "Somebody is going
to get their ass kicked."

WC: Well, it occurred to me at the time that somebody was finally kicking
U.S. ass for the way the U.S. had been comporting itself. Rather than, "Why
do they hate us?" my initial response was, "How could they not?" And as to
who was doing it, the problem is how many contenders there are out there.

Well, it was about that time - it was the early afternoon - I got a call
from the woman who was the editor of Dark Night Field Notes... She said,
"We need a from-the-gut response on this, and we need it in time to post it
tomorrow."

BW: So the essay started as a "from-the-gut" response. What were your
thoughts going into it?

WC: This was absurd what was being said. No one's calling [the reporters]
on it for describing it as senseless. You've got a little contradiction in
packaging here going on between the official news sources who are
proclaiming it senseless and then the more official officials - the
official officials - who are proclaiming it things like, "They did it
because they hate our freedom," and other really profound and insightful
things of that sort. It can't both be senseless and for a reason at the
same time.

I don't think I was the only one with a different response from the
mainstream. It just happens to be the way I framed it. Where that begins is
borrowing from Malcolm X's thing about the chickens coming home to roost.

The essay "Some People Push Back: On the Justice of Roosting Chickens" was
written on Sept. 11 and then posted to the Internet that night. Churchill
started with Malcolm X's famous quote, likened the roosting chickens to
returning ghosts and asked who those ghosts might be.

Well, I see a half-million dead Iraqi children for starters, children that
Madeline Albright confirmed she was aware of. This was UN data [on the
impact of U.S.-led sanctions against Iraq] in 1996 when she went on 60
Minutes and said, "Yeah, we're aware of it, and we've determined that it's
worth the price."

It's worth the price of somebody else's children to compel their government
to do what George Bush had issued as the marching orders to the planet in
1991, which is: "The world has to understand that what we say goes."

What we say goes - that's freedom. Do what you're told. And if you don't,
basically the way this works out is we'll starve your children to death.

A communiqué from al-Qaeda, in which the relatively unknown group claimed
responsibility for the attacks, would later confirm that the plight of
Iraqi children was primary on the terrorists' list of grievances against
the United States.

[In the essay,] I went from mentioning Iraqi children to Iraqis over all -
the children being a half million, there being another half-million dead
adults in a population of about 20 million in a short period of time and
not during the war... I mentioned the Palestinians, particularly the
children in the Intifada, as a direct consequence of U.S. priorities and
U.S. support to those who are doing it to them. I think I made a little
mention of a bunch of Panamanians who ended up in a trench who were
reported as not having died until the trench was opened up and there they
were lying under the quick lime. I think I talked about something on the
order of 200,000 uplands Mayan Indians in Guatemala. I think I talked about
a whole bunch of dead people in El Salvador and Nicaragua, killed under
false premises... I think I talked about people who had been burned alive
at Dresden. The nuclear bombings [of Hiroshima and Nagasaki], since we're
on the subject of weapons of mass destruction... Back to the Filipinos,
back to the turn of the century. I think we're talking about at a minimum
500,000 to 600,000 people and maybe well over a million in the name of
liberating them from their colonial masters and turning them into a U.S.
colony... Which takes us into the Indian wars and Wounded Knee and that
whole series, all the way back to the Wappingers, the guys who supposedly
sold the Dutch the island [of Manhattan] for beads and trinkets, which they
didn't. They gave them permission to use the tip of the island as a port
facility for trade, which was to the advantage of both. The Dutch falsely
proclaimed it to be a sale, and when the Indians objected, they sent out a
military expedition and resolved the problem by basically butchering all of
them...

All of those chickens came home to roost [on 9/11], because there had never
really been a response in-kind in all that entire grisly history. It was
sort of manifested in the symbol of those twin towers at the foot of
something called Wall Street. And Wall Street takes its name from the
enclosure of the slave compound for the trans-Atlantic slave trade. So now
there's a bunch of those ghosts, too. All the symbolism is confluent [at
Ground Zero]...

Churchill then discussed the concept of collective responsibility and the
notion that some of those who worked in the World Trade Center were not
only aware of, but participants in actions that caused harm and suffering
abroad. Such events could not occur without broad support from the American
public, he said.

Since Madeline Albright said that on 60 Minutes, [the suffering in Iraq]
could hardly be mysterious to the people in the buildings that would be
hit. They just flat considered it irrelevant. Or they embraced it. These
aren't exactly centers of organizing opposition to U.S. policy.

I don't say they had detailed information. They were not concerned enough
to gather it. They simply embraced it. They applauded it. They voted for
it. But they're not innocent of it at the same time.

How do you end up participating in this process and being proud and
triumphalist about this process and making your vocation the participation
in and proper functioning of that system and be innocent at the same time?
And that takes me to the Eichmann comment.

BW: Your Eichmann comparison seems to be the thing that has upset people
the most.

WC: Oh, yes... I said specifically the comparison to Eichmann devolved upon
the technicians of empire. Is there some definition you can give me where a
food-service worker or a child or a janitor pushing a broom is a technician
of empire? I wasn't talking about that, clearly. That's the only point
that's been raised. "How can you say that an 18-month-old baby girl on a
plane was comparable to Eichmann?"

Well, the fact of the matter is, I never said that. To use Pentagon-speak,
that would be the collateral damage... I don't know that they had any
specific intent to kill everyone that was there. In order to get at the
target, the dead bystanders were "worth the price," to quote directly from
Madeline Albright. [The terrorists] used the exact same logic used by
Pentagon planners and U.S. diplomats - "This is an unavoidable consequence
of getting at the target."

If there's somebody to blame, following the logic that's used now, it would
be the people who put a CIA office in the World Trade Center or put command
and control infrastructure of other sorts in there. It's always "their"
fault. It's always Saddam's fault. He situated an intelligence office in a
hospital... That was the justification for bombing the hospital. Well, if
you're going to apply that rule, it's going to come back to you. By
enunciated Pentagon rules, [the World Trade Center] was a legitimate target.

I don't accept the legitimacy. I'm feeding it back to [the American public,
and saying], "How does this feel?" I contest the legitimacy straight down
the line. But if you're going to do it to other people on these pretexts
and pretend it's OK, then you can't complain when it comes back to you in
the same form. That's the point.

BW: So you're not saying the people who died on 9/11 deserved to die?

WC: I'm not a judge. I want the whole goddamned process to stop, you know?
That extends to these collateral damages... I certainly don't embrace that.
I didn't judge Eichmann. I didn't impose the death penalty. You can adduce
that if Eichmann is worthy of death, because of what he had done in
arranging train schedules and such, then these other Eichmanns are worthy
of death.

But I didn't pronounce the sentence. I merely made the comparison. I've
pointed this out when I've actually gone on with these attack dogs: You
show me where I said it was justified. You're drawing conclusions about
what I said. I wanted you to think about it. I wanted you to critically
engage. I wanted you to draw conclusions, but I didn't say that. I made the
comparison based on an analysis that I believe to be true. You draw your
own conclusions from it.

Churchill then lamented that one central point of this issue continues to
be overlooked by the U.S. media and the public.

We have yet to have anybody address the issue of the Iraqi children. It
always comes back to the same, "But what about these families?"

I want to say this: I have an abiding sorrow for the collateral damage on
9/11, and I never compared them to Eichmann. They were collateral damage -
based on a set of rules imposed by the United States, to which I object
with every fiber of my being. And I am mightily sorry about the janitors
and the food-service workers and the kids. I mourn the kids in particular.
They never had a chance to do anything. But I don't mourn them
proportionately more than I do the half-million Iraqi children. And the
idea of diverting all of this back to those 3,000 Americans, as if the rest
were of no more consequence or value than toilet paper, is exactly the
problem I was trying to define. They're illustrating it perfectly.

I even mourn the Eichmanns in a certain sense. I mourn the fact that they
were dehumanized without even knowing it, active participants in their own
dehumanization to the point where they lost their souls and their humanity
altogether; that the calculus of profit outweighed the value of the lives
of children who lived in misery and died young as a result, and they
considered it the way it ought to be. That is a sorrowful situation. And
I'm trying to penetrate that veil and rearrange the consciousness so that
there can be a different outcome.

BW: A lot of people have opinions about your essays without reading them,
so I thought we could go over the main points. One point that struck me was
your thought that the attacks of Sept. 11 were inevitable, given U.S.
foreign policy.

WC: That's basically how I framed it - as natural and inevitable. And I'm
validated in that thesis at this point by the nature of the reaction to my
essay. What I said, essentially, was if you treat anyone this way, this is
going to be the response. It's natural, and it's inevitable as long as
they're human beings. If you don't think they're going to respond that way,
you're declaring them not human. Arabs will respond that way. Americans
will respond that way no less.

And you might note that all of these death threats [I've received], and the
forced cancellations of gigs and stuff, has been under threat of violence.
And that's terrorism. That's precisely the framing of it. Now it's at a
lower level than 9/11, obviously, and I'm not complaining about it. I
anticipated it, because I believe that anybody - anybody - who feels that
their loved ones have been slaughtered in something approximating a
military fashion, and that this is considered absolutely inconsequential,
that they are demeaned and degraded and devalued to the point of being
called something like "collateral damage" on top of the death, are going to
have a compulsion to respond in this fashion.

Now Americans, or some of them, perceive that those loved ones and what
they symbolize, have been devalued and degraded and demeaned by me, and the
response is identical, with its level adjusted for scale and a few things
like that. Sept. 11 was a solitary event, a singular event. In the context
of the people who apparently did 9/11, it's a continuous [series of
events]. There were 3,000-odd people whose lives were taken on 9/11, as
compared to a half a million Iraqi children, another half a million Iraqi
adults, how many hundred thousands of Palestinians living in refugee camps
for generations and being consumed by U.S. arms, 3.2 million Indo-Chinese
and so on and so on and so on. OK, we adjust a little for scale and
duration here, and, actually, this is an overreaction on the part of the
public here. They're not entitled to this terrorist response. But of course
the reality of how human functioning occurs, this would be the natural,
inevitable and entirely predictable response. They just validated my thesis.

If you want to come to grips with terrorism you have first to understand
it... Try feeling. See what it feels like. Maybe then you can understand it.

I've done nothing. I've killed no one. All I've done is make a
pronouncement comparable to what is done every day at the Pentagon with
regard to massive civilian fatalities here, there and everywhere... I did a
framing that was comparable in its purported insensitivity to what the
Pentagon does as business as usual with no complaint at all from the
American public, and the response is a terrorist response. Now that we
understand it, maybe we can fix it. But first you have really to understand
it and not pretend it's something "other," alien, psychotic. Well, maybe
it's psychotic, but the psychosis is generated by tangible causes.
[The terrorists] were sending a message. That's my view. And it's, "You're
not going to do this stuff with impunity any more. If you continue to do
it, there are going to be costs and consequences to you. It's not going to
be one-directional.

And the American public has long since convinced itself that it can act
however it wants in the world for personal benefit, for profit, for
whatever, or have it done in their name, and claim innocence and impunity
from any consequences at the same time.

Excuse me. I challenge that. You're not innocent if you're a participant,
if you support it, if you embrace it, if you vote for it, if you revel in
it, if you celebrate it. You're complicit, just like the Germans.

Which raises an issue that is thrown at me: [People say to me,] "Well, you
pay taxes, and you do this, and you do that."

Yo, I've spent the entirety of my adult life in full-fledged opposition to
this, and I've never deviated for a moment, and that said, no, I am not
innocent, because I have not been successful in reaching your brain-dead
self and making you act in a different way... This applies to me just as
much as to anybody else. It applies to my family.

BW: How many death threats have you received?

WC: That's hard to say. There are 3,200 unopened e-mails in my queue right
now. I opened some 900, but became overburdened... As for the effectiveness
of the tactic, if you're going to swamp me with "fuck you" e-mails, they're
not going to get read because I simply can't read them, so you would have
done better with 300 of them than 3,000 of them. But interspersed in there
there's about 130 that I'm aware of [that are death threats]. Most of them
aren't credible death threats. They're people blowing their intellect out
their ass, as usual.

BW: What are you trying to accomplish with these writings?

WC: I'm trying to engender a consciousness that leads people to take
responsibility for affecting change. You get this rabid denial going on,
but the whole context of interpretation in this is a rabid denial of reality.

BW: Not only are some people attacking your words. They're attacking your
position at the university, your pedigree, your person?

WC: - the tenure system, the rules of academic freedom, the ability to make
a dissident statement - all of that in the name of freedom. A student is
arrested for trying to speak at a regents meeting, revolving upon a
question of free speech. I guess that telegraphs [the regents'] position on
it, doesn't it?

BW: Why do people focus on the issue of your Indian heritage?

WC: Everybody knows that this was all Indian land. Everybody knows in some
general sense what happened to Indians... The very existence of Indians is
a reminder of the theft of a continent and genocide... The problem is that
anyone who is identified as or identifies as Indian stands in a position to
put that back in people's faces. They've got to destroy it. There's a
certain resonance to it by an Indian saying it, as opposed to someone else
saying it... They have to invalidate you and make it go away.

BW: This essay was written three-and-a-half years ago, and yet we have the
Board of Regents calling a special meeting last week. If you really did do
something atrocious, aren't they a bit behind the times?

WC: It's three-and-a-half years old. It's been recycled. It's been refined
and annotated and published as the lead essay in a book that is the 2004
runner-up for the Gustavus Myer award for writing on human rights. And for
that they would apologize.

BW: How did that feel when they apologized to the entire nation for
something you wrote?

WC: You can always smile. The whole nation was waiting with baited breath
for an apology from the Board of Regents of the University of Colorado.
Yeah, I'm sure. The University of Colorado did not write this piece. I
don't think anyone was accusing them of endorsing it. The regents are
responsible not for taking positions like this, but for guaranteeing my
right to take it. That's their job. They might not understand their job,
but that in fact is their job. And it is legally the terms of their job.
There are a stated set of rules, the rules of the regents of the University
of Colorado, which are the binding ingredients of my contract, and it says
unequivocally I have not only the right, but in certain respects it could
be interpreted to say that I have the obligation to do exactly what it was
that I did. And so I did my job, and for that they're apologizing and
threatening to fire me. That's exactly the situation. Why? Because they
disagree with it. They have a different political point of view. And this
comes down explicitly as political repression.

BW: Does this raise concerns that we might be looking at open season on
dissident academics?

WC: That's exactly what it is. It's been as much as stated by Newt Gingrich
and David Horowitz and others, that this is the "kick-off." I'm the
kick-off. I didn't select this position. I got selected for whatever set of
reasons they had. If you want to know why they selected me as opposed to 30
other targets they might have selected, you'd have to ask them. I think
they thought I'd be a vulnerable target. Sorry, guys. Miscalculation there.
It's the opening round of a general purge of the academy of people who say
things they find to be politically unacceptable.

Consequently this furor in the media over what is basically, even in their
own framing, a backwater issue in a third-tier university - that's their
description - in an area that nobody pays any attention to. It's been so
concerted and relentless. I mean I was the story last week.

BW: You were on MTV news.

WC: I was on MTV news? I can't keep track of it. All I know is that I was
on MSNBC with Scarborough and with O'Reilly. Paula Zahn did me a wonderful
service. She pissed off people who flatly disagreed with me with her
attack-dog routine. She'd ask a question. She'd refuse to allow me to
answer it. She wasn't doing an interview; she was doing theater. It was
apparent to everyone. It was so transparent that 80-year-old middle
Americans were saying, "She's a bitch. Let him talk, man."

BW: What about the Denver talk-radio host who accused you of committing
treason and suggested you be executed?

WC: Do you suppose I'm going to end up in one of those third-world
concentration camps down there in Guantanamo Bay?

BW: Do you think the controversy will blow over?

WC: I don't think it's going to blow over, but it does have the capacity to
reframe my agenda. I wanted to talk about what it was I said, not my right
to say it. But I've suddenly become the poster boy for academic freedom.
This is something I can't back up an inch on. I simply cannot.

BW: Did you resign your position as chairman of the ethnic studies
department or were you forced to resign? I've heard you say before that it
was a job you never wanted.

WC: I didn't want the administrative responsibility in the first place. No
one asked me for my resignation. I resigned. I availed myself of the
opportunity, actually. That's pretty well known. I had someone come down
from sociology immediately after that, saying, "Man, that was pretty slick.
If they wanted to punish you, they would have assigned you five more years
of this." I got out early.

BW: You've gotten a fair amount of support from CU students and faculty.

WC: I've gotten support from the AAUP, which has entered an unequivocal and
elegant statement of support. That does not mean they agree with my
position. That's not the issue here. Not everyone who supports me agrees
with me... The society of American law teachers, all 900 law professors
have signed on to it. The ACLU here [supports me], the ACLU in the New York
Times today and so on. So, no, I'm not without support on that issue. And
I'm actually not without support in terms of the analysis [in the essays].

BW: Isn't the real story in all of this the response to your essays?

WC: The larger framing was articulated by one of the regents, Tom Lucero,
at the regents meeting the other night: I want a justification for the
existence of whole departments. I want to review the tenure system
altogether. I want every course justified to my satisfaction.

BW: That's not academic freedom. That's a dictatorial response?

WC: - from someone who could not possibly have the competence to assess the
validity of these things. How could Tom Lucero possibly have assimilated
the knowledge to pass scholarly judgment on the individual courses and
their content and the scholarship that attends them in all these different
areas?

This is transparently clear: Anything that he doesn't like, whether he
knows anything about it or not, is to be gone. He has announced -
telegraphed - the fact that he doesn't like anything having to do with
cultural studies, ethnic studies, dissident political studies, gay rights.
None of that has anything to do with proper scholarship in his mind, not
that he knows a goddamned thing about any of it. And it's not that he's a
particularly malevolent individual. He's representative of the whole.
That's the mentality that goes into this. This is a book-burning exercise.
It's a stifling of political discourse.

BW: You've written extensively about what you consider the problem to be in
this country. So what's the solution from your point of view?

WC: The most obvious thing that I adduce is that you're going to have
change the way you value [other people]. You're gong to have to stop
denigrating, demeaning and devaluing them to the point of toilet paper.
That would go further toward alleviating the potential for terrorist acts
in the United States than any - any - number of tiger cages, torture
techniques, investments in the security apparatus, training Delta Force
clones and all the rest of that.

But the question then is, how do you communicate that you actually are
valuing them? Try obeying the law. The solution is adherence to the law to
allow other people first to survive and then to survive with some degree of
human dignity. If you're actually in conformity with the requirements of
the laws of war and international law, you will not be piling up little
brown carcasses like this and the whole reason for the [terrorist] response
abates. It's a call for law enforcement, and that's what's really
infuriating them - the idea that the United States is not legally entitled
to unilateral discourse at its own discretion, cannot exempt itself from
compliance, the idea that it might have to buckle up, it's the law - just
like everybody else. That's what really set them off.

The self-exemption from the requirements of the fundamental laws of human
rights and the laws of war is the Nazi signature. That is Nazi diplomacy in
essence.

BW: Other people have made many of the same arguments you have made. What's
more controversial about your words?

WC: I go for the gut. That's my speaking strategy. I go for the gut to
provoke a response. And interestingly, if it hadn't been for the
right-wingers making this a big issue, I would have failed spectacularly.
But I can't deal with miserable, starving children in some nice detached,
objective way. To me that's the essence of the Nazi zeitgeist - being able
to do that to other people. I cannot do it. I will not do it, and fuck them
if they think they're going to force me to do it.