[News] Venezuelan Ambassador regarding Pat Robertson

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 23 18:48:06 EDT 2005

Subject: Statement by the Venezuelan Ambassador regarding Pat Robertson

[]

EMBASSY OF THE BOLIVARIAN REPUBLIC OF VENEZUELA

Statement

by

Ambassador Bernardo Alvarez on Pat Robertson Declarations

August 23, 2005

We would like [to] thank the American people for the support they have
offered us in the wake of the Reverend Pat Robertson´s call for the murder
of our President, Hugo Chávez..  The messages of support have flooded our
Embassy´s electronic and voice mails.

We are very disappointed with Pat Robertson´s statements over the Christian
Broadcast Network.  Mr. Robertson is of course no ordinary private
citizen.  He was a candidate for the GOP´s Presidential nomination in
1992.  The organization that Mr. Robertson leads, the Christian Coalition,
claims nearly 2 million members and has a multi million dollar a year
budget.  In 2000 it was credited with helping George W. Bush win the
important South Carolina primary and catapulting him to the nomination of
his party for President.  Mr. Robertson has been one of this President´s
staunchest allies.  His statement demands the strongest condemnation by the
White House.

Mr. Robertson´s call that U.S. government covert operatives murder
President Hugo Chávez is a call to terrorism.  His call that President Bush
violently impose the outdated Monroe Doctrine on Venezuela is a call for
American intervention in the sovereign affairs of our democratic country.

The United States may not permit its citizens to use its territory and
airwaves to incite terrorism abroad and the murder of a democratically
elected President.  Venezuela demands that the U.S. abide by international
and domestic law and respect our country and its President.

Pat Robertson´s statement must be condemned in the strongest terms by the
Bush Administration, and we are concerned about the safety of our
President.  It´s essential that the U.S. government guarantee his safety
when he visits this country in the future, including his scheduled visits
to the United Nations in New York.

 From the messages we have received, it´s clear that Pat Robertson does not
speak for Christians in the United States, nor even for the Christian
Coalition, when he calls for the assassination of our President.