[News] 'Christian' Pat Robertson calls for the assassination of Venezuela's President Chavez

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 23 08:28:18 EDT 2005

Published: Monday, August 22, 2005
Bylined to: <mailto:news.desk at vheadline.com>VHeadline.com Reporters
http://vheadline.com/printer_news.asp?id=45605

'Christian' Pat Robertson calls for the assassination of Venezuela's
President Chavez

Christian Broadcasting Network's The 700 Club host Pat Robertson ...
founder of the Christian Coalition of America has called for the
assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez Frias.

In a direct transcript of his August 22 The 700 Club broadcast Robertson
clearly says:

There was a popular coup that overthrew him [Chavez]. And what did the
United States State Department do about it? Virtually nothing. And as a
result, within about 48 hours that coup was broken; Chavez was back in
power, but we had a chance to move in. He has destroyed the Venezuelan
economy, and he's going to make that a launching pad for communist
infiltration and Muslim extremism all over the continent.

You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he
thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go
ahead and do it.

It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don't think any oil
shipments will stop. But this man is a terrific danger and the United ...
this is in our sphere of influence, so we can't let this happen.

We have the Monroe Doctrine, we have other doctrines that we have
announced. And without question, this is a dangerous enemy to our south,
controlling a huge pool of oil, that could hurt us very badly.

We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we
exercise that ability.

We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know,
strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert
operatives do the job and then get it over with.