[News] Cuba to UN: extradite Carriles

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Mon Apr 25 19:03:08 EDT 2005

Statement by the Permanent Representative of Cuba, Ambassador Orlando
Requeijo, at the Security Council session. New York, 25 April 2005.

Mr. President,

My delegation wishes to thank the Chairpersons of the Committees created
under Resolutions 1267 (1999), 1373 (2001) and 1540 (2004) for the
information provided in this session.

However, as we analyse actions to fight international terrorism, Luis
Posada Carriles, one of the most hideous terrorists of this hemisphere is
in Miami City, USA. His lawyer has even requested political asylum for his
client on account of the services he has provided to the United States for
over 40 years, as a member of the CIA and the US armed forces.

In the name of the “war on terror”, the US government has unleashed
unilateral wars of aggression, in violation of the Charter and the
principles of International Law, in which thousands of people have died and
continue to die, including more than 1500 US youths.

Since last 11 April, the President of the Republic of Cuba has publicly
provided abundant and reliable information on the criminal background of
this terrorist, on the means he used to enter US territory and on those
who, carrying out instructions of the terrorist Cuban American National
Foundation, facilitated his voyage on board of the shrimp fishing boat
“Santrina” from Islas Mujeres in Mexico to Miami City.

Therefore, my government cannot understand why the US government has
remained motionless, has not conducted an in-depth investigation on the
most recent voyage of the “Santrina” and has not immediately detained and
interrogated those, such as the well-known terrorist Santiago Álvarez
Fernández Magriña, a well-known Miami resident, who knows Posada Carriles’
whereabouts and also helped him in his illegal entry into the United States.

The US legislation is clear. To provide entry into the United States of an
avowed terrorist, mainly someone as notorious as Posada Carriles, is one of
the most serious crimes that may be committed in the country victim of the
atrocities of September 11, 2001.

Resolution 1373 (2001) adopted by this Council under US request, is also
clear, when invoking Chapter VII of the Charter, categorically establishes
the obligation for all States to take effective measures to prevent the
transit of terrorists, deny refuge not only to terrorists but to those who
protect them and exchange information leading to their detention.