[News] US troops abused prisoners in Mosul

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 15 09:02:42 EDT 2004

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/9445137D-23BB-4050-BDEB-222BE77AA93B.htm
US troops abused prisoners in Mosul
Tuesday 14 September 2004 4:07 PM GMT

A British lawyer says he has uncovered evidence US troops mistreated
detainees in the Iraqi city of Mosul, suggesting abuse had spread far
beyond the notorious Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad.

On Tuesday Phil Shiner sent Reuters statements by two Iraqis who said they
were hooded, stripped naked, beaten and doused with cold water at lengthy
torture sessions in a place called "the disco" because of loud Western
music constantly blasted at detainees.

One said he had seen a 14-year-old boy bleeding from his anus. The other
said he was threatened with sexual assault.

The allegations appear to be the first reports of abuse in Mosul.

Washington has acknowledged detainees were abused at Abu Ghraib, and Shiner
is leading a case on behalf of Iraqis who say they were mistreated by
British forces in Basra.

Three Iraqi staff working for Reuters say they were beaten and sexually
humiliated by US troops near Falluja in January.

US denial

A US military spokesman for detainee operations in Iraq said in Baghdad he
was unaware of the allegations.

"I am surprised by them," he said. "I have visited that facility up there
and I've seen the good work that they've been doing."

But in the statements provided by Shiner, Haitham Said al-Mullah, an
engineer, said he was brought to "the disco" where "they left me standing
for hours, handcuffed and hooded".

"Then I was kicked very hard in the stomach, which was followed by
continuous beating with a stick and with their boots until I fell
unconscious. I only woke up after they poured over my head very cold water."

He said he was then abused in groups with other detainees, forced to carry
out exhausting exercises and beaten or doused with cold water whenever they
fell to the floor. They were not permitted to use the toilet and allowed
only two hours of sleep.

"I saw a young man of 14 years of age bleeding from his anus and lying on
the floor. He was Kurdish and his name was Hama.

I heard the soldiers talking to each other about this guy.

They mentioned that the reason for this bleeding was inserting a metal
object in his anus," he said.

Abused by day

The other alleged Mosul victim, Yasir Rubaai Said al-Qutaji, was described
as an Iraqi lawyer investigating reports of abuse at "the disco" when he
was arrested.

After day and night being forced into stress positions and doused with cold
water at "the disco", he was taken to a regular prison. Staff and
interrogators there treated him properly at night, but allowed the same
"disco team" to abuse him by day.

He was threatened with sexual assault on his final day.

"The only reason he was detained was that he was working on documenting
these cases of torture, at this prison and the Americans then went and
detained him," Shiner said.

The US government has said abuse of prisoners in Iraq was mainly confined
to a few rogue soldiers at Abu Ghraib.

But in January, three Iraqis working for Reuters said they had been
subjected to sexual humiliation, anal abuse, beatings, stress positions,
sleep deprivation and disorientation using bright lights and loud music
during three days of detention at a US base outside the city of Falluja
west of Baghdad.

The US army denied the allegations, saying an investigation found no
evidence of such abuse.

The Iraqis working for Reuters were never interviewed for the
investigation, which took evidence only from US soldiers who denied that
abuse took place.

The Pentagon has rejected demands by Reuters for a more thorough investigation.

Reuters
By

You can find this article at:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/9445137D-23BB-4050-BDEB-222BE77AA93B.htm