[News] Haitian Political Prisoner, Jean-Juste Released

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Tue Nov 30 08:35:48 EST 2004

Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti
P.O. Box 745, Joseph, OR 97846
(541) 432-0597, www.ijdh.org, info at ijdh.org

POLITICAL PRISONER REVEREND GERARD JEAN-JUSTE RELEASED

November 29, 2004

Today,  November 29, 2004, Rev. Gérard Jean-Juste, the pastor of Sainte
Claire Catholic Church in Delmas, Haiti, was released after almost seven
weeks of illegal detention.  The release follows a sustained campaign of
international support for Fr. Jean-Juste by prominent religious figures,
lawyers, grassroots groups and human rights advocates in Haiti and
throughout the world.  The release shows that collective action for justice
can succeed, and offers hope for Haiti's other 700 political prisoners.

Fr. Jean-Juste is a prominent activist for peace, justice and the rights of
immigrants in Haiti and the U.S.  He was arrested without a warrant by
masked Haitian police on Wednesday, October 13, 2004, while he was feeding
the hungry children of his parish.  Gérard Latortue, Haiti's interim Prime
Minister, claimed that there was a warrant, but no warrant was ever
produced, nor was any evidence linking Fr. Jean-Juste to any
crime.  Prosecutors alleged he was connected to two murders, but did not
produce the victims' names or any details of their deaths.  The Prime
Minister and the Minister of Justice alleged that Fr. Jean-Juste was
involved in financing anti-government violence, but never produced a single
witness or shred of evidence to support the allegations.

The international outcry over Fr. Jean-Juste's illegal detention forced
Haiti's interim government to bring him before a judge on November 12.  The
judge found nothing in the file, and very quickly ordered that the case be
dismissed and Fr. Jean-Juste be released.  The interim government finally
honored that order today.  On the way from the Omega prison to the
Port-au-Prince Archbishop's residence, Fr. Jean-Juste thanked everyone for
all the solidarity, support and advocacy he received during his imprisonment.

Credit for obtaining the release order should go to Fr. Jean-Juste's legal
team, Haitian lawyer Mario Joseph of the Institute for Justice and
Democracy in Haiti (IJDH) and William Quigley, Professor of Law at Loyola
University in New Orleans.  Both worked long hours under difficult and
dangerous conditions to uphold the rule of law.

But legal skill alone was not enough to free Fr. Jean-Juste, or any of the
more than 700 political prisoners remain in Haiti's jails (according to the
Catholic Church's Justice and Peace Commission), almost all with no more in
their files than Fr. Jean-Juste had.  The interim government systematically
denies political prisoners access to the courts, and ignores liberation
orders for those who manage to appear before judges- former Delegate
Jacques Mathelier (July 12) and grassroots activist Jean-Marie Samedi
(November 22), both remain in jail despite valid release orders.

The difference in Fr. Jean-Juste's case was the massive international
mobilization for justice by dozens of organizations and hundreds of
individuals who issued statements, made phone calls, sent faxes and wrote
letters to Haitian, U.S. and UN officials.  Too many people and groups
contributed to name them all, but they include Rep. Maxine Waters and 30
other members of the U.S. Congress, Archbishop Joseph Serge Miot of
Port-au-Prince, Bishop Thomas Gumbleton of Detroit, Pax Christi USA, the
Haiti Action Committee, Human Rights First, Amnesty International, the What
If? Foundation, the Haitian Lawyers' Leadership Network, the Catholic
Worker, the International Committee to Free Father Jean-Juste, the Let
Haiti Live Coalition, Fondation 30 Septembre, Veye Yo, the
Inter-Hemispheric Resources Center and the Haiti Information Project.

Our sources confirmed that the mobilization inundated the Haitian and U.S.
governments and the UN with faxes, emails and phone calls.  The UN
responded on November 22,  with Secretary General Kofi Annan's call for the
release of Haiti's political prisoners.  The Haitian government initially
responded to the pressure by justifying the arrest in press
conferences.  As the calls kept coming in, they were forced to defend their
action in court, where truth prevailed.

The mobilization proved that the Haitian Creole proverb, men anpil, chay pa
lou, (with many hands, the load is light) still applies, and that we can
still make a difference through collective advocacy, in Haiti, in the U.S.,
and in the international arena.

We need to apply theses lessons next to the hundreds of political prisoners
that Fr. Jean-Juste left behind, most even more vulnerable than he was, as
they lack his prestige and international contacts.  Many have been tortured
and deprived of healthcare and adequate food, some have completely
disappeared.  As Fr. Jean-Juste said this evening: "I hope that my freedom
will be the first step to freedom for the many political prisoners still in
Haitian jails.  We need to keep the pressure on!"

IJDH, along with the other organizations that fought for Fr. Jean-Juste's
freedom, will soon initiate similar campaigns for other political
prisoners.  Please take a few minutes to act on their behalf, so that they
may taste the same freedom that we enjoy.  We will send out action alerts
in the days ahead, or you may check for information at www.ijdh.org,
www.lethaitilive.org, www.haitiaction.net.  If you are not on the IJDH
mailing list and would like to be, please send your contact information to
info at ijdh.org.

Peace,

Brian Concannon Jr.
Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti