[News] Arafat's "Funeral"

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Sat Nov 13 09:36:44 EST 2004

Subject: Arafat's "Funeral"
To: arlenesreport at yahoo.com

I just came back from two days in Ramallah-- the day he died and the day of
his funeral. Here is a copy of an article I did. Quite amazing to be an
"eyewitness" to this. if you have any suggestions of places to publish it,
please let me know. Peace, arlene

Eyewitness Report of Arafat's Burial

RAMALLAH, Palestine November 12, 2004,

(Note: Ramallah is a large town, a few miles north of Jerusalem in the West
Bank. It has become the de facto capital of Palestine. The Israeli policy,
like the fallen Apartheid regime of South Africa, is to isolate Palestinian
people into "Bantustans"—open air prisons surrounded by a 30-foot high
wall. Because of this policy, it is now impossible for many Palestinians
living outside of Ramallah to travel there to visit family and friends, to
do business or attend school. A trip that used to take a maximum of 20
minutes, can now take two hours.)

It is Friday, November 12, in Ramallah, Palestine and streams of people are
flowing from the side streets into the river of people filling the main
street heading to the Muqataa, the bombed out headquarters of their
President, Yassir Arafat. For 30 months, the Israelis tried to bury him
alive by first bombing, then imprisoning him in his compound. Today, at
least 125,000 Palestinian people crowded into the compound that they call
Muqataa to demonstrate their determination to continue the struggle that
Yassir Arafat started some 40 years earlier.

Two young men, mounted on the shoulders of their comrades, their passion
making a bullhorn unnecessary, lead a crowd chanting, "Abu Ammar is the
whole people and the whole people cannot die." Many Palestinians
affectionately called their President, Abu Ammar, the name he adopted as a
military leader and founder of Palestine's independence movement against
Israeli occupation. In Arabic the chant is a rhythmic call and
response—part rap, part battle cry.

Elders, women in their long dark dresses embroidered in traditional
Palestinian patterns, walk more slowly—holding portraits of Arafat. Many of
them—older than the state of Israel -- are sobbing. They remember the
"nakba" (Arabic for sankofa or holocaust): 1948 when Israeli settlers drove
them from their homes, their olive and orange orchards. They remember the
negotiated promise of a free life in an independent Palestine. And they
remember yesterday, when they had to haul 40 pounds of fruits and
vegetables over rocky hills because more than 700 road closures block all
travel from home to market, from market to field. And, when this burial is
over, today, like yesterday and tomorrow, when they take their
grandchildren to school, try to get to a doctor or hospital or mosque, they
will have to face a line of Israeli boys armed with M-16's, tear gas, clubs
and flak jackets—boys younger than their grandchildren. These boys will
bark orders at them to show identification papers, open their bags for
inspection, and to state the purpose of their journey from one side of
their village to another. Often, when the women do not understand the
Hebrew demands, soldiers yell at them, shout insults, push or even detain them.

These elders join younger women—may wearing kaffiyeh's over traditional
Muslim headcovers. They are angry and chanting, "Listen Sharon (Israeli
President), Palestine cannot be defeated." One of them is Nihan, a student
whose brother is a political prisoner—one of the 8000 out of a nation of
3.5 million. Some 70% of young Palestinian men have been locked up and
tortured. While we chat, some men wearing military uniforms and ski masks
march on the other side of the traffic circle. As they fire their rifles in
the air, I flinch and involuntarily grab Nihan, a petite, delicate young
woman. She smiles and tells me, "Don't worry, it's the Palestinian people."

Palestinian flags, black mourning flags, posters with Arafat's face are
plastered everywhere: on walls, windows, statues, cars, taxis, trucks,
tractors and ambulances. They join miles of graffiti—some faded, some
fresh, denouncing Sharon, Bush and demanding and end to the crime of
occupation.

A huge poster of Arafat—at least 20 feet high and 15 feet wide—greets the
crowd as we approach the wall that surrounds the Muqatta. It says,
"Palestine is our land. (Arafat is) a symbol of resistance. We will fight
until victory." Signed HAMAS. The same poster with a giant image of Arafat
hangs from the most prominent place inside the compound.

Hamas, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, the Palestine
National Initiative and many other organizations that follow strategies
different from Arafat to achieve the common goal of Palestinian
independence and freedom, are here to pay their respects to Arafat. While
they have often criticized his compromises and the corruption of the
Palestinian Authority—they are united in the conviction that the Israeli
Occupation is their common enemy. And they all recognize that Arafat was
the father of the Palestinian nation, a symbol of resistance who, for the
30 months before he died, refused to leave Palestine, even though that
meant living under house arrest and with the constant threat of
assassination by Israel.

The crowd inside the compound covers every available surface. By noon, at
least 100,000 are packed inside the compound with another 25,000 jamming
the streets surrounding it. This represents about one out of every 20
Palestinians in the West Bank—the equivalent number in the US would be 15
million demonstrators. They came to Ramallah despite fully armed Israeli
soldiers, tanks and armored cars cutting off many of the side roads and all
the main roads leading to Ramallah from the East and North.

It is noon—about two hours before the helicopter carrying Arafat's remains
is due to arrive from Cairo. People cover the rubble where Arafat's bombed
out offices used to stand. They scale walls to get rooftop views and wait
patiently. Some came from watching the Cairo ceremony on TV and proudly
report that nearly all presidents and prime ministers from Arab states as
well as President Thabo Mbeki of South Africa and President Robert Mugabe
of Zimbabwe attended the state funeral in Cairo. And now, Abu Ammar is
coming to be buried in Palestine.

In order to avoid confrontation with Israel—despite the desire of
many—there was no attempt by the Palestine Authority to organize a march on
Jerusalem to demand that Arafat be buried inside the walls of the Al Aqsa
compound. Instead, Arafat's casket is being temporarily "buried" in a
concrete crypt (portable), inside the Muqataa and symbolically covered with
some soil from Al Aqsa. Yet, many chants confirm the strong commitment of
the Palestinian people to struggle for the day when they can bury Arafat in
a free Jerusalem—not a city occupied by tens of thousands of Israeli troops.

Excitement sweeps the crowd. Whistles sound from all sides. But no
helicopter is yet in sight. Then, masked Palestinian soldiers with rifles
and swords appear, some marching, some in jeeps. When they fire their
rifles in the air—a gesture like a 21-gun salute—the crowd claps and yells
its approval. The Palestinian people crave peace. And they also love their
sons and daughters who understand that without control over their own land
and lives, they must fight for peace—either non-violently or violently.

Finally, only a few minutes after the scheduled time, three helicopters
appear in the distance. They circle Ramallah once before one of the
helicopters descends into a landing space in the crowd. The helicopter
whips up dust and rocks, but the crowd stays and chants of "Yassir, Yassir"
drown out the helicopter noise. When it's engine is turned off, massive
cheers and quadraphonic rifle fire from several directions explode. Someone
yells, "If you love Arafat, sit down." For a few seconds, the crowd kneels
on the dusty turf. But everyone wants a glimpse of the coffin draped with
the Palestinian flag, so soon, the people stand.

Those who mourn Arafat's death, mix with those who have come to express
their dedication to resisting occupation—to fight for Palestinian freedom.
There is more rifle fire. More chants. "With our blood, with our lives,
we'll avenge you Arafat." Ambulances arrive to aid at least four people
struck by stray bullets. The sound of rifle fire seems to take over the
compound. Most the crowd streams towards the gates. Some media described
the scene as chaotic. Certainly, the sulfur smell of spent bullets filled
the air. But the crowd dispersed peacefully. There were no speeches, no
processions. Most people headed home to break their fast. It is the last
Friday of Ramadan.

One young woman wearing a traditional Muslim head scarf and a kaffiyeh
around her shoulders told a reporter, "The Palestinian people will continue
to struggle. We have no choice. The occupation is suffocating us. We must
resist!"

# # # #

Possible Sidebars

Arafat's Death Sparks Demonstrations Throughout Palestine

On Thursday, when his death was announced and Friday, the day he was
buried, demonstrations and spontaneous displays of mourning erupted in
Jerusalem, all major Palestinian cities, Gaza, and many towns and villages.

In Jerusalem on Thursday, hundreds gathered for a candle-lit rally in the
amphitheater- like entrance to the Old City at Damascus Gate. As they left
the rally for a peaceful march through East Jerusalem, Israeli soldiers
stopped them and arrested 60.

With roadblocks preventing travel to the burial in Ramallah, people joined
demonstrations in Nablus—which has been under very strict martial law,
Bethlehem, Hebron and Jenin. There were reports of vigils and rallies in
smaller towns and villages throughout the West Bank. At the same time,
young people everywhere burned tires and climbed light poles to post flags
and posters. At Qalandia, a suburb of Jerusalem and the main Israeli
checkpoint that prevents residents of the West Bank from entering
Jerusalem, children threw rocks at fully-armed Israeli soldiers. The
soldiers fired many rounds in the direction of the kids who seemed to run
quicker than bullets. But it was only the presence of many reporters that
probably saved the lives of these children.

In Ain al-Hilwah refugee camp, one of 10 in Jordan where 1.7 million
Palestinians live, a chant went up, "Abu Ammar, you can rest now, we shall
continue the struggle."

How Israel Creates Resistance

Throughout the narrow streets of the Muslim Quarters, at corners, and all
along the route to the Mosque, every day and every night, Israeli soldiers
arbitrarily stop Palestinians, demand ID and interrogate people. Only those
with official Jerusalem residency are allowed there. If one observes a
corner for 15 minutes, a minimum of five men will be detained.

On this Friday, in addition to the usual thousands of Israeli soldiers
occupying Jerusalem, 5000 more arrived to block all roads and gates leading
to Al Aqsa Mosque. Last year, on the last Friday of Ramadan, some 300,000
people prayed peacefully at Al Aqsa—one of the holiest shrines of Islam.
People have been fasting and celebrating Ramadan for nearly a month. With
all their dedication to prayer, family and tradition, people head to Al
Aqsa on the last Friday of Ramadan. This year, the Israelis decreed that
only people over 45 years of age and none from the "territories" (West Bank
and Gaza) could enter the Mosque. They set up an elaborate series of gates
and mazes to keep people out.

Those—even older people—who were blocked from praying with their families,
nodded when a woman told a reporter, "Jerusalem is part of who we are. It
is our capital, our holy land. They cannot keep us out forever."