[News] Father Jean Juste - letter from a Haitian Jail

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Tue Nov 9 19:14:28 EST 2004

LETTER FROM A HAITIAN JAIL
by Fr. Gerard Jean-Juste
11-9-04, Omega-Carrefour Jail, Haiti, November 9, 2004

Greetings and Gratitude!  Courage and Persistence!

I can't stop thinking of Dr. Martin Luther King,Jr., as I am sending you
this short letter. Quoting by heart and in substance Dr. King, allow
me to remind you of this:

"It is not, if I help my brothers and sisters, what's going to happen to
me?  Rather, if I don't help them, what's gong to happen to them?"

Hooded men intimidation, masked gunmen massacre, masked men attacking the
churches, forced entries in our rectories, arbitrary arrests, defamation,
character assassination, prison, threats of death - SHOULD NOT STOP ANY
HUMAN RIGHTS ACTIVIST OR INSTITUTIONS advocating for the enjoyment of basic
human needs for all, especially the poor ones.

I think of all of you who advocate for my release, all who demand the
release of all political prisoners, under the "de facto", illegal,
unconstitutional Latortue-Alexandre government imposed facistly by the
administration of Presidents G.W. Bush, Jacques Chirac, and Prime Minister
Paul Martin.

FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY SHALL PREVAIL IN HAITI

Visiting Haiti in 1983, Pope John Paul II called for real change: "Things
must change."  LET IT BE!

The repression on all levels is so heavy.  I call for: an immediate return
to constitutional order; the release of all political prisoners; the
respect of the vote and the will of the people; the rejection of
kidnappings, coup d'etats from whoever the authors.

Let the word of God win our souls!  Let love of God and humanity
prevail!  Let us start our heaven on earth as God wants it!

Gratitude, Peace, and Love to you all!

Fr. Gerard Jean-Juste
(Nsera Njeri Jan-Jis)  509-405-3244

[This letter was sent out of the Omega-Carrefour Jail by Fr. Gerard
Jean-Juste via Bill Quigley, Loyola University School of Law New Orleans,
one of Fr. Jean-Juste's lawyers.

Fr.  Jean-Juste is represented by Mario Joseph and others with the
Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti.

Fr. Jean-Juste is scheduled to appear before a Haitian judge for a
preliminary hearing on Wednesday November 10, 2004.

Bill Quigley can be reached at duprestars at msn.com
or in Haiti at 011-509-528-0311.]

WHAT YOU CAN DO

"Do not go gentle into oblivion Haiti, but rage, rage against the forces of
evil , for freedom and democracy."  ( Pearl Mcf, November 2004 )

Continue to write to your local and national newspapers urging the editors
to publish the truth ABOUT THE U.S. SUPPORTED GENOCIDE IN HAITI, right now.

The incarceration of Father Jean Juste continues the long list of arbitrary
and politically motivated arrests to silence the pro-democracy fires
still burning bright in Haiti. Please call, fax or Emil, asking the U.S.
government, the United Nations (cc:to kongo-doudou at un.org )and the
Brazilian Mission and government
(webmaster at mre.gov.br  webmaster at mc.gov.br) to call for a stop to the
attacks against LAVALAS and
killings in Haiti and ensure that Father Gerard Jean-Juste and all the
other political prisoners are released immediately.

Contact information for your local and national media outlets may easily be
found by going to our website at:
<http://www.margueritelaurent.com/contactinformation/local-national-media.html>http://www.margueritelaurent.com/contactinformation/local-national-media.html

Our work is saving lives. Here is some more
contact information for your convenience:

UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT:

U.S. Ambassador to Haiti, James B. Foley
Phone: 011-509-222-0200 or 011-509-222-0354
Fax: 011-509-223-9038 or 011-509-223-1641

With copies to:

STATE DEPARTMENT HAITI DESK:

Desk Phone: (202) 736-4628,
Fax: (202) 647-2901

Ladd Connell - Haiti Desk Officer connellLF at state.gov

BUREAU OF WESTERN HEMISPHERIC AFFAIRS
Roger Noriega, Phone: (202) 647-5780; E-mail: noriegarf at state.gov

UNITED NATIONS:

Special UN Envoy to Haiti:
Mr. Juan Gabriel Valdes

UN Military Commander in Haiti: Lt. General Augusto Heleno Ribeiro Pereira

UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) Phone: 011-509-244-9650 or 9660

With copies to: UN Secretary-General: Kofi Annan: Fax: (212) 963-4879

For more information, and updates on Father Jean Juste's situation, see
www.ezilidanto.com, www.haitiaction.net, www.ijdh.org or contact:
haitiinformationproject at yahoo.com.

GET INVOLVED: â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ

Weapon of Mass Instruction

The secret weapon of Jesus and Gandhi,
Of Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandella,
Of Shirin Ebadi or Wangari Maathai,
And of all great human rights activists
Is simply the willingness to suffer loss after loss
Again and again, until you win.

â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–ÏÂ â–Ï

Kenbe fo, pa lage”

Joe
November 4, 2004

*******
Forwarded by the Haitian Lawyers Leadership
*******