[News] Leonard Peltier: Response to the Supreme Court denial

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed May 26 08:41:58 EDT 2004

http://www.leonardpeltier.org/main.html
Leonard Peltier #89637-132
USP-Leavenworth
PO Box 1000
Leavenworth, KS 66048-1000

May 6, 2004

Hello friends and supporters,

As I sit here writing and rewriting this response to the Supreme Court
denial of my appeal, I can't help but remember you, my supporters, friends
and allies.

Many people have come and gone in my life, some I may never see again in
this lifetime and some have left and come back again. I have come to
recognize that true relatives aren't always related by the blood that flows
in your veins, but by the blood, sweat and tears that is given for the
common good of all.

It is never easy to deal with these setbacks and as you get older and the
realities of mortality set in, time becomes increasingly important. It goes
so exceeding slow waiting for justice and so fast when you look at what's
left.

 From inside this prison I have done my best to help raise my kids and
grandkids and yet maintain a level of commitment to raising awareness to
the plight of my people and all Indigenous Peoples who face on a daily
basis the cruel realties of a technological world where might makes right
and morality be damned.

I want you to know that whether we win this battle for me or not, you my
relatives have my heart always. I am almost 60 years old, but I'll tell you
now the oppressors will know we're here. They'll know they are challenged
at every turn. Sometimes it's not up to us to decide whether we are winning
or losing; it rests within the will of the Creator. What is up to us is our
will to continue the battle. The battle will never be over so long as one
person is a victim of this oppressive, exploitive mind-set that has
engulfed so much of the world.

I'm a realist; I know that I'm not the cause; I'm only a focal point of the
cause. The cause is the cause of all, and with the latest turmoil in
government you will soon become acutely aware of the ramifications of these
illegal decisions in Washington for as they have done to me, they'll do to
others and have done to others. There are other prisoners that you haven't
heard of because the misdeeds of the FBI and other governmental entities
aren't as well documented. This government has literally passed retroactive
laws that have prevented the legal release of myself and others, but I also
want you to know that we have other strategies that we are working on. We
have a Habeas Corpus filed in Washington that will soon be in litigation
regarding these constitutional violations.

I want to encourage you to help in whatever way that you can. We need funds
for the preparation of legal briefs, legal research, filing fees, attorneys
and travel expenses as well as for the ongoing cost of maintaining our
committee and info center.

Those that can't contribute on a monetary basis can pass out pamphlets,
hold meetings, and help the staff organize events. Any and all help is so
much appreciated.

My relatives - stay strong and remember: for the sickness of the world, we
are the antidote.

In The Spirit Of Crazy Horse,

b027b.jpg

Mitakuye Oyasin