[News] Abu Ghraib prisoners speak of 'torture'

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 4 09:01:09 EDT 2004

Abu Ghraib prisoners speak of 'torture'

Tuesday 04 May 2004 9:53 AM GMT

Former inmates of the US-occupation run Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad
still find it difficult to relate their experiences of torture and
humiliation, as more pictures of abuse come to light.

One of the released detainees who was forced to pose naked in a human
pyramid has told Aljazeera that the acts committed against them were so
horrible that he still could not get himself to speak about most of it.

"They wanted to humiliate us. It was disgusting", said Hashim Muhsin.

"They covered our heads with plastic bags and hit our backs with sharp
objects, which added to our wounds".

"They then took off all our clothes, made us stand next to the wall and
carried out immoral acts that I cannot even talk about", Muhsin continued.

He said "women soldiers took pictures of naked men and did not care".

CIA present

Another released prisoner, Haider Sabbar told Aljazeera that "CIA officials
and two Iraqi and Egyptian translators showed us immoral pictures of the
acts that took place" before interrogating them.

"They then took off all our clothes, made us stand net to the wall and
carried out immoral acts that I cannot even talk about"

Seven US soldiers have been reprimanded for the abuse of Iraqi prisoners
and six more are under investigation. The reprimands were the first known
punishment meted out to soldiers involved in the mistreatment of prisoners
at Abu Ghraib.

Last week, an American television channel, CBS, broadcast images showing
Iraqis stripped naked, hooded and being tormented by their US captors.

An internal US army report found that Iraqi detainees were subjected to
"sadistic, blatant and wanton criminal abuses", according to The New Yorker
magazine.

Intelligence blamed

Brigadier-General Janis Karpinski who oversaw the prison, claimed she did
not know about the abuse and blamed "military intelligence" for being
behind the abuse.

"The cellblocks were actually in operation for the interrogations and
isolation under the Military Intelligence control," she said. "It was part
of the Abu Ghraib prisoner operation but those cellblocks, cellblock 1A and
1B and the prison was actually under the control at that time".

Karpinski added that "there was one photograph that didn't show the faces
completely, but the photograph showed 32 boots (of a lightweight boot)".

Asked whether she was saying the people who were wearing those boots were
CIA or military intelligence, she replied "I'm saying other people than the
military police were the ones committing the abuses."

'Shared responsibility'

Karpinski said she thought "there are others responsible here, not limited
to one person or any individual or command. But there is a shared
responsibility in this."

The alleged abuses were said to have involved about 20 prisoners and took
place in November and December last year.

The New Yorker magazine, meanwhile has released additional images of the
abuse, including that of the dead body of a prisoner, wrapped in cellophane
and packed in ice as well as a group of Iraqis bound and lying on the ground.

Latest reports by Aljazeera's correspondent, quoting a US military
spokesman is that 208 prisoners have been released from the Abu Ghraib prison.

Aljazeera + Agencies

You can find this article at:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/316F0ADE-FDFC-466A-95F6-A591FD01A75C.htm