[News] Support Robert Seth Hayes' Bid for Parole!

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 16 18:34:18 EDT 2004

Robert "Seth" Hayes is a political prisoner currently held at Clinton
Correctional Facility in New York State. He was captured and convicted in
1973 of a host of charges connected to his involvement in the Black
revolutionary struggle (for more info see interview with him on my site at
http://www.kersplebedeb.com/sethhayes/interview.html )

After over three decades buried in prison, Robert "Seth" Hayes will appear
before the parole board for the third time this July. He needs letters of
support, so i'm hoping some of you will be up to some letter writing!
A sample letter below can give you an idea of what would be helpful...

Copies of letters should be sent to Mr Sackett at the New York State
Division of Parole, and also to Hayes' lawyer Susan Tipograph:

Mr. Sackett, FPO
NYS Division of Parole
Clinton Correctional Facility
Parole Office
POBox 768
Dannemora, New York 12929-0768

Please also send copies to:

Susan Tipograph
Attorney At Law
351 Broadway
New York, NY
10013

A sample letter follows. When writing, please keep in mind that the goal is
for Hayes to be freed; if possible please mention any credentials you might
have which might impress the parole board.

Please forward this callout to people you think would be sympathetic.
For more information on Robert "Seth" Hayes, please see these pages on my site:

"They Call Him Black Revolutionary Political Prisoner, But I Simply Call
Him Daddy" by Crystal

Hayes at http://www.kersplebedeb.com/sethhayes/crystal_hayes.html

Robert "Seth" Hayes Profile Page at http://www.kersplebedeb.com/sethhayes/

Sample Letter

Mr. Sackett, FPO
NYS Division of Parole
Clinton Correctional Facility
Parole Office
POBox 768
Dannemora, New York 12929-0768

Mr. Sackett

Re: Robert Hayes
#74A2280

Dear Mr. Sackett,

I am writing on behalf of Robert Hayes who is scheduled to appear before
the parole board for the fourth time in July.

Robert Hayes' application for parole was denied when he last appeared
before the board two years ago. At the time of that appearance, his record
was good. However, since that time his record is outstanding. Mr. Hayes has
continued to work to help others and improve himself. At Clinton
Correctional Facility, he facilitated in the HIV Educators program to
assist others as well as become a member of the Lifer's and Long Termers
Organization whose primary goal was/is to educate and instruct newly
arriving inmates in adjustment to and preparation for final release from
incarceration. These are but two of his many accomplishments over his years
of incarceration. I am confident that were he released, he would be a great
asset to the community and to society at large.

There is no question that the crime, for which Mr. Hayes was incarcerated,
is a serious crime. However, he has shown remorse and always taken full
responsibility for the crime. I am sure that you will agree that after
serving almost 31 years for committing the crime, Mr. Hayes release at this
time would not so deprecate the seriousness of the crime so as to undermine
respect for the law. Moreover, if you examine all of the factors that are
used to predict whether person is most likely to recidivate, those factors
indicate that Mr. Hayes will most likely not commit another crime. His
disciplinary history during his incarceration indicates that he obeys the
rules in prison; he has a supportive network of family and friends on the
outside available to assist him in his reintegration back into society and
he had an extensive work history prior to being incarcerated in addition to
obtaining marketable skills in prison that will help him to obtain
employment. Nothing is gained by his continued incarceration, and much is
lost, as he has much to offer.

By the time that Mr. Hayes appears before the parole board, he will be 55
years old - 30 years older and considerably wiser than the man who was
charged with committing the crime. He is an intelligent individual and
deserves a second chance. Please grant Mr. Hayes parole and give him that
second chance.

Sincerely,