[News] New From AG Press: David Gilbert's: NO SURRENDER

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jun 4 17:33:10 EDT 2004

SF Bay Area Book Release Events are being scheduled for July 30 & 31 with
David's son, Chesa Boudin. Stay in touch for details.Video also available:
David Gilbert: A Lifetime of Struggle
http://www.freedomarchives.org/Gilbert.htm

June 4, 2004

 From Abraham Guillen Press

<http://us.f603.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=abrahamguillenpress@yahoo.com>abrahamguillenpress at yahoo.com

HOT OFF THE PRESSES!

NO SURRENDER

writings from an anti-imperialist political prisoner

ISBN 1-894925-26-2

288 pages, perfect bound

Abraham Guillen Press and Arm the Spirit are happy to announce the
publication of David Gilbert’s new book titled  “No Surrender: writings
from an anti-imperialist political prisoner.” This 288 page book is an
anthology of David Gilbert’s prison writings since 1981 until the present.

The first public availability of the book will be at 3 back-to-back East
Coast book launches and events about David Gilbert and other political
prisoners, on Tuesday June 8 in Boston, Wednesday June 9 in Philadelphia,
and Thursday June 10 in New York City.  Other book launches over the summer
and in the fall are in the works.

The book will then be available directly from AG Press in Montreal, Canada
at
<http://us.f603.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=abrahamguillenpress@yahoo.com>abrahamguillenpress at yahoo.com,
from the Freedom Archives, or thru the U.S. distributor AK Press
Distribution
<http://us.f603.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=akpress@akpress.org>akpress at akpress.org
website:<http://www.akpress.org/>http://www.akpress.org

It will take a couple of more weeks to fill, mail, and for folks to receive
all of the pre-orders of the book that have been made.  So please just a
little more patience, and thanks again to all those who contributed either
time or money to this project to support David Gilbert and the fledging
project of developing a revolutionary anti-authoritarian and
anti-imperialist publishing house.

Review copies of the book are available upon request. Urgent advance copies
of the book can be sent electronically as a PDF if necessary. Other
promotional material available include electronic files of the book’s cover
and photos of David Gilbert for publications and websites, and a CD of
David Gilbert reading some selections from his book.

If you are interested in organizing a book launch or would like to
distribute the book please contact AG Press directly as we can send books
at a discounted price on consignment, and help you to organize and
publicize any events.

To order individual copies of the book send $20 ($15 + $5 shipping) in cash
or cheques made out to “Abraham Guillen Press” and mail to:

Abraham Guillen Press

C.P. 48164

Montreal, Quebec

H2V 4S8

Canada

More about David Gilbert and No Surrender:

A founder of Columbia University Students for a Democratic Society (SDS),
and a veteran of the Civil Rights and anti-Vietnam War movements, Gilbert
joined the Weather Underground Organization (WUO) in the late 1960s. After
more than 10 years of clandestine resistance, he was captured in the course
of an armed action in 1981. Since that time, he has worked inside the New
York State prison system as an AIDS activist, prisoner rights advocate, and
author.

No Surrender is the first collection of David Gilbert's writings, and
provides a unique contribution to our understanding of the most ambitious
and audacious attempts by white anti-imperialists to build an underground
movement "within the belly of the beast." With unsparing honesty and
unfailing humor, he discusses the errors and successes of the WUO and their
allies; the pitfalls of racism, sexism, and ego in revolutionary
organizations; and the possibilities and perils facing today's growing
anti-war and anti-globalization movements.

"No Surrender" is both an analysis of the past and a vision of our
collective future. And more. It is the intensely personal, harrowing true
story of a captive revolutionary, struggling to maintain an active
political life deep inside America's repressive prisons, where principle is
his only weapon and surrender is not an option. It's not an easy book; it's
not an easy path. But it is one we all need to know, to honor, and to
understand.

Praise for "No Surrender":

“David Gilbert’s analytical clarity, commitment to universal justice, and
unswerving integrity shine through his words. This book is a beacon of
revolutionary hope and inspiration for extremely troubled times.”

—Barbara Smith, author

"David Gilbert is a warrior in the most profound sense of the term. Imbued
with a near-crystalline clarity of principle, the indomitable courage to
live his life in accordance with the values he holds true, and, most
importantly, his every action guided by the immensity of his love for the
wretched of this earth, he is truly an inspiration. Predictably, given the
strength of Gilbert's character, his writings are offered as tools—nay,
WEAPONS—in the ongoing struggle for liberation. They are thus of
incalculable value to each of us who aspires to the attainment of freedom,
justice and dignity for ALL people."

—Ward Churchill, author

"This book stands alone in the growing number of books about the 1960s, the
anti-Vietnam War Movement, and the Weather Underground Organization because
of David’s willingness to own it and analyze it. His discussion of our
strengths and weaknesses, the role of armed struggle, the rise of
terrorism, and the continued aggression of the U.S. government speak
directly to the concerns of everyone working for justice anywhere. David’s
approach to these topics is freer, more alive, and more honest than any I
have read. This book should stimulate learning from our political
prisoners, but more importantly it challenges us to work to free them, and
in doing so take the best of our history forward."

—Susan Rosenberg, former U.S. political prisoner