[News] Torture of Palestinian Prisoners in Israeli Prisons

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jul 20 08:46:33 EDT 2004

NRC, 3.7.2004

Translated into English

By Chana Arnon

SMARTER THAN THE GUARDS AT ABU GHRAIB

Torture of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli prisons

Oscar Garschagen

Earsplitting music, sleep deprivation, spoiled food, beatings, endless
interrogations, solitary confinement, extreme heat and cold, detention
without trial for months on end, no visiting rights. These are forms of
“physical and psychological pressure” applied by the Israeli army and
security services in their hunt after “ticking bombs.” How far can a
democracy go in the battle against real and imaginary terrorists? And at
what price?

Madalla

Sighing and shedding a tear here and there, Madalla, frail, traditional,
but tastefully dressed in a head scarf of expensive silk, rings on both
hands, tells us of her experiences with the Shabak (General Security
Services – GSS). For sixty days Madalla didn’t see anyone. Sick with worry
and spoiled food, suffering from a permanent headache from exhaustion,
unwashed and soiled from top to toe, Madalla was not allowed to see a
lawyer, or friends and family, only her interrogators. One exception to
this was the day she was shown her husband sitting behind a glass wall: “He
was slumped in a chair, bound and beaten. They wanted to put him under
pressure, to break him. He was only half conscious.”

Shortly afterwards she was transferred to the women's prison of
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Israel, Neve Tirtza. There
she spent another 120 days in an overcrowded room with Palestinian and
Israeli women, some of them with babies. Then, suddenly, she was released.
That was two months ago. She just heard that her husband was sentenced to
seven years in prison in a closed chamber trial. Details concerning the
charge, except for membership in Hamas, are not available. The only thing
she knows is that she will see him again in their luxurious apartment in
Ramallah in 2011 at the earliest. Visiting is impossible since she will not
be able to pass the Israeli checkpoint and road blocks and won’t be able to
get a permit to visit her husband in the Negev desert prison facilities
under the auspices of the Red Cross. Her daughter in Chicago wants her to
come to the US, “but  I can’t leave my husband and children and my country
just like that.”

Mosquitoes and rats

Madalla is one of 31,000 Palestinians who have been interrogated by the
army and the GSS since the year 2000. Her husband is one of 8,362 detainees
(according to numbers published this week) in the military prisons (3,962)
or the Israeli Prison Authority (4,400). A new record and a spectacular
increase, since at the end of 1999 there were only 802 Palestinians in
Israeli prisons.

Israeli prisons are the same for all: Israeli murderers, drug dealers etc.
and Palestinians. Barely adequate, bordering on cruel is the description
given by an Israeli authority, the Office of Public Defense, to portray the
situation in the political as well as the ordinary prisons. Prisons are
full to overflowing, hygienic conditions are deplorable, kitchens are
filthy, mosquitoes and rats are rampant, there are not enough beds, not
enough mattresses, lighting is insufficient as is ventilation, etc. Twelve
to sixteen prisoners in a cell of 4x4 meter (Russian Compound), no
recreation or airing facilities, no visitor facilities and always problems
with lawyer access is the norm. Most Palestinians have not had visitors for
years since their families are considered to pose a security risk, or are
of the “wrong” age (men and women between the ages of 15-50 can never get a
permit), or simply can not face the long wait at the checkpoints.

Since the Six-day War of 1967, 650,000 Palestinians, some 20% of the total
population and 40% of the Palestinian males have spent time in prison. Of
the 8,329 prisoners now in prison, 1941 have “blood on their hands”
according to the army; 477 of those have been sentenced to more than one
consecutive life sentence. The number of “administrative detainees” –
prisoners who are incarcerated for months and sometimes years without
charge – is 1150. With the rise in numbers, the complaints of cruelty
during arrest by the army and the border police as well as torture during
interrogation by the GSS also increase.

“Since 2000, with the start of the second intifada, we are witnessing a
spectacular rise in the number of arrests as well as the use of
interrogation methods which we consider to be torture. Madalla’s story fits
in a pattern which we also record” says Hannah Friedman of the Public
Committee Against Torture in Israel. Friedman, originally from the
Netherlands, and her colleague at the time, Professor Stanley Cohen, won a
protracted lawsuit at the Supreme Court of Israel in September 1999 in
which practically all forms of torture in interrogations of terrorists and
pseudo-terrorists was prohibited. Before 1999, the army and the security
services had to keep to secret instruction from 1987 which prescribed that
detainees could be subjected to “moderate physical and psychological
pressure”. The word torture was not used, but in practice that’s what it
was and it was supported by successive prime ministers.

“When interrogators of the Shabak deal with a Palestinian they consider a
“ticking bomb”, they can use physical pressure and ask for authorization
afterwards. This has to come from the highest office of justice in the
country and they defend the right to use these torture techniques,” says
Friedman. Physical pressure includes prolonged interrogation in the
interest of national security, sleep deprivation justified by the acute
threat to the country, and tying down of the prisoner in order to guarantee
the safety of the interrogators. In reality these measures are used for
harsh interrogations.

Friedman: “after the specific illegalization of torture in 1999, the
security services largely kept to the new rules, but after the massive
suicide attacks of 2000, 2001, 2002, the torture techniques were again
employed. For instance, physical shaking up, slapping with a flat hand in a
very painful manner, tying backwards on a chair or bench or in a cage were
used again.”

The Shabak, which answers directly to the prime minister, is not willing to
react to Friedman’s allegations. However, the director of the security
services, Avi Dichter, has affirmed in the media that every year some 90
Palestinians are considered “ticking bombs” and are therefore allowed to be
interrogated under “physical pressure”.

Friedman’s organization thinks this number is higher. They base their
assessment on affidavits given under oath and on official declarations
checked by lawyers and physicians. “We think the real figure is in the
hundreds per year. We think that torture has become the norm again, a norm
carried out in an orderly and institutional fashion,” says Friedman.

“The Israeli public is of the opinion that there are fewer attacks and that
everything is allowed in order to prevent them. In addition, most Israelis
think that the Palestinians lie when they say they are tortured. But we
control the declarations very carefully. When someone alleges that his arm
was broken during interrogation, but cannot show an X-ray, we don’t go into
it” says Friedman, who does understand the “ticking bomb” argument but does
not accept it as valid. “After all is said and done, that is of no
importance. Israel signed the 1991 UN-Convention against torture but does
not comply with it. The Israeli High Court prohibited all forms of torture
in 1999, except, alas, for a few. A democratic country, a Jewish state,
Israel, with a history of Holocaust, should condemn all forms of torture
and respect all international treaties. We should not discredit our society
by trampling on internationally recognized human rights.” And: “We should
end the super-expensive and bloody occupation, with its liquidations and
the construction of the terribly expensive, mad great wall, while there is
no money for schools, hospitals and prisons. Israel, 56 years after its
establishment, still lives with the fear of being annihilated. That is
absurd, we have the largest army in the Middle-East.”

Al-Awda Website: <http://www.al-awda.org/>http://www.al-awda.org/