[News] Freedom Archives - 2004

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Fri Dec 3 14:39:47 EST 2004

As a special note to those of you who receive this email news, please
consider contributing to our ongoing work - 85% of our operating funds come
from individuals like you rather than from foundations. Please also
consider getting on our snail mail list (if you haven't already) for
periodic newsletters (and an occasional request like this one).
Thanks in advance!
claude

December 2004
Dear Friend:

Collective victories have been few and far between for all of us this year
of 2004.  But here at Freedom Archives, we've had some sweet successes and
are moving ahead with new projects and new opportunities. Many of our small
victories and progress, we owe to you, our supporters, who've stood with us
and helped us keep moving forward. Last year, 85% of our operating funds
came from contributions from individuals like you – and we hope we can
count on our relationship with you continuing in the years to come.

With your help, we've produced work to help us all stay organized and
inspired.  We recently released Wild Poppies: a poetry jam across prison
walls, an audio CD in which over 30 poets and musicians honor poet and
political prisoner Marilyn Buck. The release was celebrated with
inspirational events in New York and Berkeley.  The story of the struggle
for proper medical care for women prisoners, entitled Charisse Shumate:
fighting for our lives is our newest video, produced in partnership with
the California Coalition for Women Prisoners. It will be shown in schools
and communities across the country. We have also teamed up with Bay Area
muralist Susan Greene to produce an audio accompaniment to her Mission
district mural, titled La Lucha Continua/The Struggle Continues.

After two years of research, tapes of Robert F. Williams broadcasting Radio
Free Dixie from Cuba, as well as speeches and interviews from Tanzania,
China and the US sparked the production of a CD on the lives and
experiences of Mabel Williams and her late husband Robert F. Williams. It
will be available in the spring of 2005, and will be celebrated in Oakland
on May 20th with Mabel Williams.  The historical material is complemented
with a wide-ranging interview that Lincoln and Claude conducted with Mabel
in Michigan in 2003. Inspired by this history, we co-sponsored a
well-attended event in March featuring a dialogue between Mabel Williams
and Kathleen Cleaver, introduced by Angela Davis.  A video of that event is
also available.

While our production work remains a strong aspect and conveys our work to
wide audiences around the world, our growing work with young people is the
foundation of the future. Our ability to bring the progressive history
documented in our now 7,000-hour collection to young people hinges on your
generous support. This summer and fall, we have provided students from high
school to graduate school with the tools necessary to incorporate this
important history into their consciousness and new programs. Each intern
comes to us with a different idea for creatively disseminating our
materials to other young people and the general public. With enthusiasm and
imagination, these young people represent the broad impact our materials
and productions can have on present and future generations.

In these difficult times, we hope you are able to make a contribution to
the Freedom Archives. Your generous support will allow our internship
program to grow and serve more young people, and ensure that our history
remains alive.  You can help us create the victories of tomorrow.

In gratitude,
clip_image002.jpg

clip_image004.jpg

Claude
Marks
Sele Nadel-Hayes
Project
Director
Youth Program Director

Thanks also to our funders: The Handleman Trust, LEF Foundation, Phogg
Foundation, Puffin Foundation, Robeson Fund, Sonya Staff Foundation,
Vanguard Public Foundation, Women’s Foundation & Zellerbach Family Foundation.