[News] "This wasn't a war, it was a massacre"

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Fri Dec 3 13:59:36 EST 2004

Letter from a GI in Falluja:
"This wasn't a war, it was a massacre"

December 3, 2004 | Page 7

THE FOLLOWING letter from a U.S. soldier stationed in Iraq, known as hEkLe,
powerfully conveys the terror of the U.S. assault on Falluja. It was
published in GI Special, a daily Internet newsletter that gathers news and
information helpful to soldiers and military families. You can find an
archive of the GI Special updated with each new issue at
<http://www.militaryproject.org/>www.militaryproject.org. hEkLe and several
fellow soldiers have a Web log that they regularly update with essays at
<http://www.ftssoldier.blogspot.com/>www.ftssoldier.blogspot.com.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
THESE ARE ugly times for the U.S. military in Iraq. It seems everywhere you
turn, more and more troops are being killed and maimed in vicious
encounters with determined rebel fighters.

The insurgency is mounting incredibly in such places as Baghdad, Mosul and
Baquba, using more advanced techniques and weaponry associated with a
well-organized guerilla campaign. Even in the massively destroyed city of
Falluja, rebel forces are starting to reappear with a callous determination
to win or die trying. Many critics and political pundits are starting to
realize that this war is, in many aspects, un-winnable.

And why should anyone think that a complete victory is possible?
Conventionally, our U.S. forces win territory here or there, killing a
plethora of civilians as well as insurgents with each new boundary
conquered. However, such as the recent case in Falluja, the rebel fighters
have returned like a swarm of angry hornets, attacking with a vicious frenzy.

I was in Falluja during the last two days of the final assault.

My mission was much different from that of the brave and weary infantry and
Marines involved in the major fighting.

I was on an escort mission, accompanied by a squad whose task it was to
protect a high brass figure in the combat zone.

This particularly arrogant officer went to the last battle in the same
spirit of an impartial spectator checking out the fourth quarter of a high
school football game.

Once we got to the Marine-occupied Camp Falluja and saw artillery being
fired into town, the man suddenly became desperate to play an active role
in the battle that would render Falluja to ashes. It was already rumored
that all he really wanted was his trigger time, perhaps to prove that he is
the toughest cowboy west of the Euphrates.

Guys like him are a dime a dozen in the army: a career soldier who spent
the first 20 years of his service patrolling the Berlin Wall or guarding
the DMZ between North and South Korea. This sort of brass may have been
lucky to serve in the first Gulf War, but in all actuality spent very
little time shooting rag heads.

For these trigger-happy tough guys, the last two decades of Cold War
hostilities built into a war frenzy of stark emptiness, fizzling out almost
completely with the Clinton administration.

But this is the New War, a never-ending, action-packed "Red Scare" in which
the communist threat of yesteryear was simply replaced with the white
knuckled tension of today's "war on terrorism."

The younger soldiers who grew up in relatively peaceful times interpret the
mentality of the careerists as one of making up for lost opportunities. To
the elder generation of trigger pullers, this is the real deal; the chance
to use all the cool toys and high speed training that has been stored away
since the '70s for something tangibly useful...and it's about goddamn time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
HOWEVER, UPON reaching the front lines, a safety standard was in effect
stating that the urban combat was extremely intense. The lightest armored
vehicles allowed in sector were Bradley tanks.

Taking a glance at our armored humvees, this commander insisted that our
section would be fine. Even though the armored humvees are very stout and
nearly impenetrable against small-arms fire, they usually don't hold up
well against rocket attacks and roadside bombs, like a heavily armored tank
will. The reports from within the war zone indicated heavy rocket attacks,
with an armed insurgent waiting on every corner for a soft target such as
trucks.

In the end, the overzealous officer was urged not to infiltrate into sector
with only three trucks, for it would be a death wish during those dangerous
twilight hours. It was suggested that in the morning, after the air strikes
were complete, he could move in and "inspect the damage."

Even as the sun was setting over the hazy orange horizon, artillery was
pounding away at the remaining 12 percent of the already devastated Falluja.

Many units were pulled out for the evening in preparation of a full-scale
air strike that was scheduled to last for up to 12 hours.

Our squad was sitting on top of our parked humvees, manning the crew-served
machine guns and scanning the urban landscape for enemy activity. This was
supposed to be a secured forward operating area, right on the edge of the
combat zone. However, with no barbed wire perimeter set up and only a few
scattered tanks serving as protection, one was under the assumption that if
someone missed a minor detail while on guard, some serious shit could go down.

One soldier informed me that only two nights prior, an insurgent was caught
sneaking around the bullet-ridden houses to our immediate west. He was
armed with a rocket-propelled grenade and was laying low on his advance
towards the perimeter. One of the tanks spotted him through its night
vision and hastily shot him into three pieces. Indeed, though it was safe
enough to smoke a cigarette and relax, one had to remain diligently aware
of his surroundings if he planned on making it through the night.

As the evening wore on and the artillery continued, a new gruesome roar
filled the sky.

The fighter jets were right on time and made their grand appearance with a
series of massive air strikes. Between the pernicious bombs and fierce
artillery, the sky seemed as though it were on fire for several minutes at
a time. First, you would see a blaze of light in the horizon, like
lightning hitting a dynamite warehouse, and then hear the massive explosion
that would turn your stomach, rattle your eyeballs and compress itself deep
within your lungs. Although these massive bombs were being dropped no
further than five kilometers away, it felt like it was happening right in
front of your face.

At first, it was impossible not to flinch with each unexpected boom, but
after scores of intense explosions, your senses became aware and complacent
towards them.

At times, the jets would scream menacingly low over the city and open fire
with smaller missiles meant for extreme accuracy. This is what Top Gun, in
all its glory and silver screen acclaim, seemed to be lacking in the
movie's high budget sound effects.

These air-deployed missiles make a banshee-like squeal, sort of like a
bottle rocket fueled with plutonium, and then suddenly would become
inaudible. Seconds later, the colossal explosion would rip the sky open and
hammer devastatingly into the ground, sending flames and debris pummeling
into the air.

And as always, the artillery--some rounds were high explosive, some were
illumination rounds, some were reported as being white phosphorus (the
modern-day napalm).

Occasionally, on the outskirts of the isolated impact area, you could hear
tanks firing machine guns and blazing their cannons. It was amazing that
anything could survive this deadly onslaught. Suddenly, a transmission came
over the radio approving the request for "bunker-busters." Apparently,
there were a handful of insurgent compounds that were impenetrable by
artillery. At the time, I was unaware when these bunker-busters were
deployed, but I was told later that the incredibly massive explosions were
a direct result of these "final solution"-type missiles.

I continued to watch the final assault on Falluja throughout the night from
atop my humvee.

It was interesting to scan the vast skies above with night-vision goggles.
Circling continuously overhead throughout the battle was an array of attack
helicopters. The most devastating were the Cobras and Apaches with their
chain-gun missile launchers.

Through the night vision, I could see them hovering around the carnage,
scanning the ground with an infrared spotlight that seemed to reach for
miles. Once a target was identified, a rapid series of hollow blasts would
echo through the skies, and from the ground came a "rat-a-tatting" of
explosions, like a daisy chain of supercharged black cats during a Fourth
of July barbeque.

More artillery, more tanks, more machine gun fire, ominous death-dealing
fighter planes terminating whole city blocks at a time...this wasn't a war,
it was a massacre!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AS I look back on the air strikes that lasted well into the next morning, I
cannot help but be both amazed by our modern technology and disgusted by
its means.

It occurred to me many times during the siege that while the Falluja
resistance was boldly fighting us with archaic weapons from the Cold War,
we were soaring far above their heads, dropping Thor's fury with a
destructive power and precision that may as well been nuclear. It was like
the Iraqis were bringing a knife to a tank fight.

And yet, the resistance toiled on, many fighting until their deaths. What
determination!

Some soldiers call them stupid for even thinking they have a chance in hell
to defeat the strongest military in the world, but I call them brave. It's
not about fighting to win an immediate victory. And what is a conventional
victory in a non-conventional war?

It seems overwhelmingly obvious that this is no longer within the United
States hands.

We reduced Falluja to rubble. We claimed victory and told the world we held
Falluja under total and complete control. Our military claimed very few
civilian casualties and listed thousands of insurgents dead. CNN and Fox
News harped and cheered on the television that the battle of Falluja would
go down in history as a complete success, and a testament to the United
States' supremacy on the modern battlefield.

However, after the dust settled, and generals sat in cozy offices smoking
their victory cigars, the front lines in Falluja exploded again with
indomitable mortar, rocket, and small-arm attacks on U.S. and coalition
forces.

Recent reports indicate that many insurgents have resurfaced in the
devastated city of Falluja. We had already claimed the situation under
control and were starting to turn our attention to the other problem city
of Mosul. Suddenly, we were backtracking our attention to Falluja. Did the
Department of Defense and the national press lie to the public and claim
another preemptive victory?

Not necessarily so. Conventionally, we won the battle--how could anyone
argue that? We destroyed an entire city and killed thousands of its
occupants. But the main issue that both the military and public forget to
analyze is that this war, beyond any shadow of a doubt, is completely
guerrilla.

Sometimes I wonder if the West Point-graduated officers have ever studied
the intricate simplicity and effectiveness of guerrilla warfare.

During the course of this war, I have occasionally asked a random
lieutenant or a captain if he at any time has even browsed through Che
Guevara's Guerrilla Warfare. Almost half of them admit that they have not.
This I find to be amazing! Here we have many years of guerrilla warfare
ahead of us, and our military's leadership seems dangerously unaware of
what it all means!

Anyone can tell you that a guerrilla fighter is one who uses hit-and-run
techniques to attempt a breakdown of a stronger conventional force.

However, what is more important to a guerrilla campaign are the political
forces that drive it. Throughout history, many guerrilla armies have been
successful; our own country and its fight for independence cannot be excluded.

We should have learned a lesson in guerrilla fighting with the Vietnam War
only 30 years ago, but history has a funny way of repeating itself. The
Vietnam War was a perfect example of how quick, deadly assaults on
conventional troops over a long period of time can lead to an unpopular
public view of the war, thus ending it.

Che Guevara stressed in his book Guerrilla Warfare that the most important
factor in a guerrilla campaign is popular support. With that, victory is
almost completely assured.

The Iraqis already have many of the main ingredients of a successful
insurrection. Not only do they have a seemingly endless supply of munitions
and weapons, they have the advantage to blend into their environment,
whether that environment is a crowded marketplace or a thickly vegetated
palm grove.

The Iraqi insurgent has utilized these advantages to the fullest, but his
most important and relevant advantage is the popular support from his own
countrymen.

What our military and government needs to realize is that every mistake we
make is an advantage to the Iraqi insurrection. Every time an innocent man,
woman or child is murdered in a military act, deliberate or not, the
insurgent grows stronger.

Even if an innocent civilian is slain at the hands of his or her own
freedom fighter, that fighter is still viewed as a warrior of the people,
while the occupying force will ultimately be blamed as the responsible
perpetrator.

Everything about this war is political...every ambush, every bombing, every
death. When a coalition worker or soldier is abducted and executed, this
only adds encouragement and justice to the dissident fervor of the Iraq
public, while angering and demoralizing the occupier.

Our own media will prove to be our downfall as well. Every time an atrocity
is revealed through our news outlets, our grasp on this once secular nation
slips away. As America grows increasingly disturbed by the images of
carnage and violent death of her own sons in arms, its government loses the
justification to continue the bloody debacle.

Since all these traits are the conventional power's unavoidable mistakes,
the guerrilla campaign will surely succeed.

In Iraq's case, complete destruction of the United States military is
impossible, but through perseverance, the insurgency will drive us out.
This will prove to be the inevitable outcome of the war.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
WE LOST many soldiers in the final battle for Falluja, and many more were
seriously wounded. It seems unfair that even after the devastation we
wreaked on this city just to contain it, many more troops will die in vain
to keep it that way.

I saw the look in the eyes of a reconnaissance scout while I talked to him
after the battle. His stories of gore and violent death were unnerving. The
sacrifices that he and his whole platoon had made were infinite. They
fought every day with little or no sleep, very few breaks and no hot meals.

For obvious reasons, they never could manage to find time to e-mail their
mothers to let them know that everything turned out okay.

Some of the members of his platoon will never get the chance to reassure
their mothers, because now, those soldiers are dead.

The look in his eyes as he told some of the stories were deep and weary,
even perturbed. He described in accurate detail how some enemy combatants
were blown to pieces by army-issued bazookas, some had their heads shot off
by a 50 caliber bullet, others were run over by tanks as they stood
defiantly in the narrow streets, firing an AK-47.

The soldier told me how one of his favorite sergeants died right in front
of him. He was taking cover behind an alley wall, and as he emerged to fire
his M4 rifle, he was shot through the abdomen with a rocket-propelled grenade.

The grenade itself exploded and sent shrapnel into the narrator's leg. He
showed me where a chunk of burned flesh was torn from his left thigh.

He ended his conversation saying that he was just a dumb kid from
California who never thought joining the army would send him straight to
hell. He told me he was tired as fuck and wanted a shower. Then he slowly
walked away, cradling a rifle under his arm.