[News] Support Sundiata Acoli, call NOW

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 11 19:58:32 EDT 2004

http://sundiata.afrikan.net/

FOR ONE DAY ONLY: THURSDAY, AUGUST 12, 2004 10AM-11AM & 2PM-4PM WE ARE
ASKING FOLKS TO MAKE A CALL TO THE NJ GOVERNOR'S OFFICE AND THE NJ PAROLE
BOARD OFFICE

Moments ago, we received a copy of this initial decision to deny Sundiata's
parole announced by a two person panel by the NJ State Parole Board. It
still must go through the other board members to get final approval. Still,
Sundiata's attorneys are already planning the course for appeal. The
general sentiment is they will uphold the decision to deny. They have
thirty days to make the final decision and announce any extension to his
current sentence before being eligible for parole again. But as you know,
Sundiata is already 67 years old.

How many more denials of our freedom fighters to return to society do we
have to hear before we understand why we should get involved?

Herman Bell denied seeking appeal. Jalil Muntaquim denied...Mutulu Shakur
denied....Mumia Abu Jamal on death row.....Dozens and dozens of others are
in the same predicament despite serving over 25 years in prison while
others, even some who HAVE killed police officers have been released after
serving far shorter sentences. We know what this is about.

In this day and time, a person that speaks out about government policies
was assassinated, harassed, intimidated and locked away 30 years ago. We
have a voice now because of these men and women.

HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Call and fax the governor's office asking him to consider granting Sundiata
Acoli executive clemency on the following basis:

Statistics provide evidence supporting the unlikelihood a person of
Sundiata's age would commit a future crime. He is 67 YEARS OLD.

Despite a few infractions that have occurred while incarcerated for over 30
years, his prison case manager has maintained Sundiata has been a model
prisoner.

Sundiata is no threat to public safety and events that took place led to
his incarceration was not a planned attack to kill a police officer.

No amount of time served will alleviate the loss felt by the families
involved and Sundiata has continuously expressed his remorse for his role
in the death of Trooper Forester.

Take the time to call the office and fax another letter expressing these
points to Gov. McGreevey asking clemency be considered for Sundiata.

Governor's Office number: 609-292-6000
Fax Number: 609-292-3454

Fax a letter to all parole board members asking them to look into this
suggested decision made by the two person parole board and consider the
points above.

PO Board Number: 609-292-4257
Fax: 609-984-2188

Also cc: NJ Attorney General, Peter Harvey Fax: 609-292-3508

Learn more about other political prisoners like those mentioned above and
support them whenever you can, even if by just sending a card or letter.

We should leave no stone unturned for these brothers and sisters.

peace for now,
fayemi shakur
Sundiata Acoli Freedom Campaign organizer