[News] Atrocities are as American as apple pie

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 8 11:01:11 EDT 2004

Atrocities are as American as apple pie

Editor -- Before we sling self- righteous condemnation upon those who feel
glee at the desecration suffered by U.S. civilians in Fallujah, we might
take a moment to contemplate the recent savage torture carried out upon
James Byrd Jr. of Jasper, Texas, by his fellow townspeople, or the profound
portrayal of atrocities carried out on black men in the book, "Without
Sanctuary'' (photography of lynchings in America in the 20th century).

Hanged before jeering crowds (including children) by ecstatic sadistic
voyeurs, these black men were tortured and killed and their bodies
desecrated during times of peace in our "civilized" country. What can we
expect when we are occupiers of a foreign land?

TESS JOSEPH

San Francisco Chronicle
April 6, 2004